Best (and Worst) Onboard Activities – Pearl in Alaska

babygirll22

As I was looking through some recent freestyle dailies from the Pearl as kindly posted by brunolvr, I wondered if anyone would mind sharing their opinions of the onboard activities offered during this cruise.

We’ve heard a lot about bowling, Wii, spa, etc., but is that is that Ulu Knife demonstration more interesting than it sounds? Was a certain tasting class a pleasant surprise or a dull bore? Did you kick yourself for missing something that got rave reviews from your fellow passengers?

So basically I’m looking for reviews of the less well known activities, seminars etc….particularly the new NCL U ones that came with 2.0. Thanks for sharing!

Trivia in the pub: Ok. It's a good way to pass the time if you like trivia and are ok with group led things. Good laughs.

Cooking demonstration: Pass. The demonstrators are not very good showmen or speakers, in my experience.

Shopping preview/talk: This took place in Gallaxy of the Stars on our last cruise, so DH and I sat in the windowed area and read, then I just went out and listened when the topics I was interested came up. Otherwise, too long and boring. Not any great info. A ten minute overview and reading materials would've been plenty.

Jewelry talk: Can be useful if you aren't an avid jewelry shopper. If you are an avid shopper, just know you can always call the ship's guy if you are in port and have a purchase you want help negotiating or checking price. The recommended stores (in your info about the port with your Freestyle Daily) should have his number and will call him upon your request.

Pool games: Fun to watch, if not participate in.

Quest and the murder mystery are two things I want to try. And the new improv workshop.

The ulu demonstration is interesting if you have one or are thinking about getting one. They demonstrate how to use the ulu for different tasks. My mom brought me one from her first trip to Alaska several years ago and I had never used it. Now that I've seen one in use, I have more confidence to actually put mine to use too. They also demonstrate how to make gravlax, pass out the recipe, and - the best part - yummy samples to taste!

We really enjoyed the Internantional Crew Show - it was definitely one of the best shows of the whole week and I was surprised the theater was more than half empty!

I agree on the international crew show. It was wonderful to see the talents of some of those hard-working professionals from the staff. The ending act (Fountains) was hilarious.

Don't waste your time on the port talks. It is such a scam. I talked with "locals" in two of the ports, and they both told me all about Diamonds International. The people that own those stores come in from the Caribbean (even into Alaska) only during cruise season. They have run the locals out of the ports by jacking the leases up so high that nobody can afford them. Then they move in. At the end of cruise season, they close up shop, leaving nothing but an empty "downtown" for the poor people who live there. The "private phone line" to the guy on the ship is a joke. He's part of their game. If Tanzanite and Ammolite and all that stuff are such great jewels, how come we never hear of them in the states? Last week, I sat through one of those hour-long talks just to wait for the door prize giveaway at the end. The gentleman wrapped up his talk and told us to meet him in the onboard jewelry store in ten minutes to see who won the prize. When he arrived, he gave another spiel about the great prices and jewels in the jewelry store. I would never buy any jewels on a cruise. You have no idea what you're getting, and what are you going to do if you get home and find that it's a fake? Do you really think that NCL is going to refund your money? Maybe, but I bet it would be difficult.

Okay, stepping off of soap box. I know I'll get flamed on this one, but it's something that really bothers me.

I also enjoyed the photo seminars in the Spinnaker Lounge. She gave me some good food for thought.

The martini tasting was a blast. You got six ( I think ) different martinis made for you and tips on how to make your own. The bartender was very personable and the $15 charge was quite reasonable. I wanted to do the margariti tasting as well but never had the opportunity but imagine that was just as fun.

Make sure you see sharkbait, they were a lot of fun.

Gotta love the newlywed game, that's always funny.

Saw the future cruise presentation which was a long commercial but you got free champagne.

Go to the spa for a day pass at least once, you won't be disapointed.

We were on the Pearl June 8th-15th sailing. Pizza demo don't waist your time. I took my son 12yrs old (which loves pizza) thought it was not good. We did the Ulu demo just because I wanted to buy one so I'm glad I did the demo.

If your drink you have to do the tastings. We did the Martini tasting it was good, worth the $15.00. We wanted to do the Margariti and guacamoli tasting but could not make it becasue that is when we were sailing glacier bay.

Newlywed game is a must see. Sharkbait, Im glad we saw the show. My son really liked the show.

BINGO: I don't know why people are dogging the bingo playing. I never play bingo at home but one thing I look forward to on a cruise is playing bingo with my son. We have played bingo every cruise and have one won more then we payed to play. On this cruise we payed $150.00 we one $650.00.

JHA

We did the first night entertainment "overview" I called it. It gave you a bit of what each entertainer would offer. Then we could pick what we thought we would enjoy. We went to the comedy shows and had intended to go to the crew show but it conflicted with something we were doing so I only saw a bit of that. What I did see was very enjoyable. We went to the Glacier lecture and really learned a lot and were sorry we missed the photo lecture. I heard that was great. If I remember correctly, they (glacier/photo lectures) were held at the same time. My dh did the beer tasting and I did the Mojito tasting.. Very fun.. I had 5 drinks for $15 and met some fun people. We also bowled and really enjoyed that..

Have a great time.. We sure did!!

forgot about bowling - must do. Lot's of fun and even more fun watching those who take it serious blow up when they don't do well. Remember, your on a moving ship, who cares what the score is. Have fun!!

In general, the crew show is one of the most underrated things to do.

Each ship has some incredibly talented members of their crew who either chose not to professionally develop their talent, had no means to do it or just are unwilling to take the risk.

Great show, though.

Of course, no show measures up to one that had Colin Kerr perform.

No reason to deal with any of the shopping events. Other than Salmon, everything for sale there is available in the states. And maybe a better price.

Why oh why do people thing buying Diamonds at a cruiseship port is such a good idea?

I will never get it.

We just came off the Pearl today. The comedy improv workshop was great. My older son went to the wine and cheese tasting and one other tasting and said it wasn't really worth it. My two daughters liked the pizza making and one daughter thought the theater workshop was fun, but it was really a dance thing with one of the professional dancers. The glacier talk by the ranger was outstanding. And my husband and kids really liked going to the art 101 workshops and auctions. Something we never would have thought

we would be doing on a cruise. I was very impressed with the quality of art And my daughter kept getting free prints and artwork just for showing up. We did trivia one day and actually won. We liked Sharkbait and the comedian the comedian the best. Have a great time, its an awesome cruise!

Archived