Biking Down Haleakala

okccruiser

We did a bike ride down Haleakala and it was fabulous. That being said, it was over 20 years that we did it and things have changed a lot since we did it. Because of some injuries, the ride down has been changed - I think the starting point is now the ranger's station, but I wouldn't swear to it. We used Maui Downhillers and they treated us wonderfully. It was a fun time!

• Administrators
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone has done a tour biking down Haleakala at sunrise in Maui? Is so, what was your opinion and what tour company would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

We did, and really loved the experience. However, we did it last summer, when you could still bike down from the summit and it's now changed so that you have to begin the bicycle part outside the national park. We used Mountain Riders, booked through adventuremaui -- http://adventuremaui.com/biking_the_volcano.htm

You can see my review of the experience in the link in my signature. Hope that helps!

We used Maui Mountain Cruisers in 2004 and it was wonderful. They took us up to a special section on the rocks to view the sunrise. It was away from the massive crowd below. It's a shame that the ride isn't as long now, but I wouldn't let that stop me. If you've never done anything like that, it's something you'll always remember. I hadn't been on a bike in years and felt perfectly safe. You don't really go that fast. We did the horseback riding into the crater as well. I have to admit that was a little scary 'cause I'd never been on a horse before, but I'm so glad I did it. Haleakala is absolutely beautiful! Brenda

Because of some injuries, the ride down has been changed

And deaths! Not often enough to make me say I wouldn't do it, but some bikes have been hit by cars, run off the road or just had riders fall-sometimes with fatal results

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Oct/04/ln/hawaii710040356.html

hello...

back in March, we booked thru adventuremaui.com... Mountain Riders was the ACTUAL tour company that provided the excursion. It was great. The place they stopped for breakfast on the sunrise tour was pretty good as well. You don't sweat alot... as there is BARELY any peddling involved. It was well done, and the sunrise was fantastic.

your doing the sunrise tour?? if so, dress WARM!!! i wore jeans and twolong sleeved shirts... and the columbia wind suit they give you... still freezing. NO Shame in bringing hat or gloves.. all the tour people wear them! about 40 deg or so up there!

but where u start biking from is warmer, but still cool.. plus with the wind..

so i started the bike in my wind pants and long sleeve shirt... the van follows behind the bike tour.. and they stop 3 or 4 times.. you are able to remove layers, and stick them in the van at those points. you can bring a small bag with u, and just keep it on the van for the duration of the whole event.

by the time we were on the bottom of the mountain, i was in my shorts and t shirt! QUITE the tempearture change!!

• Administrators
Thanks for the reply. Do they allow riders to change into and out of clothes, or should i be wearing my shorts underneath my sweatpants?

I just wore shorts underneath my sweatpants. It's just a quick van stop by the side of the road when it's time to remove a layer (or two) -- it warms up quickly as you head down the mountain. If you don't mind being pretty hot you could stay in the heavier gear until the breakfast stop, and change then, I suppose, but the restroom is very popular by that time, as you can imagine!

Thats pretty much what our group did... removed layers in the van on the way down. I wasnt putting cargo shorts under my jeans, so i believe i put my shorts on in the bathroom at the breakfast stop.

Just dress WARM in layers for the beginning of the sunrise tour... you wont be hot! and you will have a chance to remove a couple layers at the onset of the bike ride.

This may sound silly but we did this a few years ago with our 15 year old daughter. Her contact blew out of her eye due to the wind at the very beginning of the trip and she had to ride the van down. If you have contacts consider wearing glasses instead or else wear sunglasses or something to protect your eyes.

Archived