Why doesn't Carnival have in-room babysitting?

kenteecruisin

It has to do with their liability insurance policy. It doesnt allow for in-room babysitting. They do have group babysitting from 10pm-3am every night though. Personally. I work in the field of child abuse and feel much safer having my child in a group setting where people are coming and going and visible to others versus leaving my child in a room alone with a stranger. I have heard great things about in-room babysitting but you never know what can happen. We have used the group babysitting for our DD age 2 and she did great.

I don't understand how people can leave their children alone with a total stranger. If you were at home would you leave a stranger alone with your kids while you go out? I know I wouldn't. It seems to me that people have a tendency to let their guard down while on vacation.

I know I will probably get slammed for my opinion as I did on another board for asking why parents would leave their kids on the ship while they were in port, but this is my opinion.

I take my kids on vacation to spend time with them, not dump them with other people.

I can't blame Carnival for not offering in-room babysitting. One incident could cause a huge problem for the entire company. Heck, even a false allegation could cause a huge problem.

There are probably video cameras constantly recording the Camp Carnival area and other public areas. This is a safety measure that not only protects against bad acts by the staff, but also protects the staff from unfounded complaints.

I would have no problem leaving my child with the Camp Carnival staff. The number one risk group for children regarding abuse is their own family and social circle. You think the cruise lines don't heavily vett their children's activities staff?

There is a balance between "dumping" your child off on someone and continually keeping your child with you. I guess we dumped our son off on my MIL and FIL because they occasionally watched him for a few hours on our last cruise. The horror . . .

I know I will probably get slammed for my opinion as I did on another board for asking why parents would leave their kids on the ship while they were in port, but this is my opinion.

I take my kids on vacation to spend time with them, not dump them with other people.

I can't imagine why you got slammed on the other board.

To the OP - I've dumped my under-2-year-olds in the Carnival babysitting program, and it was a great option. One of my girls slept and the other had a ball with the other kids - she loved being at "the party". So mommy got to have a vacation with her children AND have some much needed alone time at night - the best of both worlds. (But I don't think any less of parents who spend every moment with their child.)

Best,

Mia

I don't understand how people can leave their children alone with a total stranger. If you were at home would you leave a stranger alone with your kids while you go out? I know I wouldn't. It seems to me that people have a tendency to let their guard down while on vacation.

People probally slammed you for the word "dumped". :)

I would never use in cabin sitting as I am a control freak mom that would not trust anyone in my room with the kids without supervision. I would use the kids club and have, but would nto leave them on board if I leave the ship- too much weird stugg doing on in the world!

I can't blame Carnival for not offering in-room babysitting. One incident could cause a huge problem for the entire company. Heck, even a false allegation could cause a huge problem.

There are probably video cameras constantly recording the Camp Carnival area and other public areas. This is a safety measure that not only protects against bad acts by the staff, but also protects the staff from unfounded complaints.

I would have no problem leaving my child with the Camp Carnival staff. The number one risk group for children regarding abuse is their own family and social circle. You think the cruise lines don't heavily vett their children's activities staff?

There is a balance between "dumping" your child off on someone and continually keeping your child with you. I guess we dumped our son off on my MIL and FIL because they occasionally watched him for a few hours on our last cruise. The horror . . .

Dumping your child off on someone was a poor choice of words. But in my opinion there is a big difference in leaving your child with a total stranger and leaving them in the care of relatives. I think the group babysitting in a public area is a much better option. As I asked before-would you let somebody you never met before in your house to watch your children when you went out?

Dumping your child off on someone was a poor choice of words. But in my opinion there is a big difference in leaving your child with a total stranger and leaving them in the care of relatives. I think the group babysitting in a public area is a much better option. As I asked before-would you let somebody you never met before in your house to watch your children when you went out?

Nope- would not - that is why I would not use in cabin sitting- only group sitting with lots of others around!

I agree. I would NEVER leave my kids on a ship and get off at port.

I would agree to not using in room baby-sitting. We have 5 kids...15, 13, 11, 6 and 3 and have two cabins next month. (I love saying next month!) I am even leary of leaving our two younger ones in the cabin with the older ones. Afraid they may open the door and leave. They babysit at home.....we will probably use the camp carnival baby-sitting at nite for a little bit anyway. I have a feeling our 15 yr old and 13 yr old will have activities they want to do at nite.

Sandi

Every family should do what suits them ~ you know your kids and what you are comfortable with. I would not feel comfortable leaving my kiddos for in-room child care (I think I have seen one too many of those horrible nanny cam videos :eek: ). But, I understand there may be decisions I make as a parent that someone else may not agree with. We are all trying to do the best we can. :)

I also will not leave the kids in the kids program and go off in port. Too many what-if's for me.

Do what you feel is best for your kids, and enjoy your cruise together as a family!

Well let's take a step back here...lol.

First of all, those that use In Cabin sitting usually have a child that is younger than the age of the cruise kids program (ie - RCCL, Celebrity have a 3 year old minimum at the kids club)

Carnival takes 2 year olds into Camp Carnival AND Under 2's for group babysitting. So why doesn't Carnival have in-cabin? Because Carnival actually takes THOSE kids into camp carnival, so there is no need for in cabin sitting. ;)

As far as the kids left on board the ship during excursions....I think most of you know how I feel about that...lol. :p

I completely agree with you. We go on vacation to spend more time with our kids, not less.

• 2 weeks later...

3 years ago I used the in room babysitting for my son who was 7 at the time. The lady who baby sat him worked 12 hours a day and then would come to the cabin.. The cost was 8 dollars an hour and went directly to her. She was a single mom of 3 supporting her children back in Nicaragua and was the sweetest, nicest lady ever. When we came back to the cabin each night (late) she, after working 12 hours and then sitting with my son for 7 hours or so, would be wide awake sitting on the edge of the chair. I had encourged her to lay down on the chaise lounge and nap but she refused. If I were to get someone like her again I would have no problem with in room sitting. It helped her out with lots of extra money and helped us out with some much needed adult time and it helped my son out as he was able to go around the ship with her a bit then be in bed on time. I believe it is up to the individual and how you feel about the sitter.

I think in-room sitting would be an asset. My daughter goes to sleep every night by 8:30 so it would be nice for us to be able to put her to sleep as usual and then spend some adult time knowing that she was being watched in our cabin & we could check on her at any time. Group sitting would not work for us bc she wouldn't sleep with other kids playing around her. We'd never leave her home - we're just thinking of ways for us to all have a good time as a family.

I would not do the inroom babysitting. However, group sitting at the kids club would be alright for maybe an hour. I always enjoyed having my daughter's company when on vacation.

We did in room babysitting with our 2 y/o on our last cruise. Yes we go on vacation with our son to spend more time with him but getting 2 nights out of 7 to eat dinner without worrying about keeping him happy and actually going to a bar to hang out was very nice. The girl that stayed with our son was great and he had a great time with her. I am very glad they had the service on Royal Caribbean.

I have 3 year old twins & do not have any family nearby (unless you consider England nearby to New Jersey?). My husband has his 84 year old mother & family in Germany.

So yes, when we go on a vacation as a family, I would quite happily "dump" my girls with in-room babysitting for 1 or 2 evenings. As a previous poster said, our girls go to bed regularly by 8pm. So would be lovely to have someone to just hang out in the cabin, while they sleep. Then mommy & daddy can have a meal alone, which would be so wonderful!

Group babysitting doesn't start until later in the evening & they definitely wouldn't sleep with other kids laying or sitting (or even running) around them. Plus 10pm is a bit late for us to go eat dinner. ;)

As for leaving them with a complete stranger. Well we just got a babysitter, a 16 year old girl, recommended by one of her high school teachers. We chatted to her & she seemed really nice & as she had that reference I felt comfortable leaving my girls with her while we went out for dinner.

How is that different than trusting on board staff that are basially recommended by the ship?

Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my girls, but Mommy also loves to spend some quiet time with her sweet husband too.

I have 3 year old twins & do not have any family nearby (unless you consider England nearby to New Jersey?). My husband has his 84 year old mother & family in Germany.

So yes, when we go on a vacation as a family, I would quite happily "dump" my girls with in-room babysitting for 1 or 2 evenings. As a previous poster said, our girls go to bed regularly by 8pm. So would be lovely to have someone to just hang out in the cabin, while they sleep. Then mommy & daddy can have a meal alone, which would be so wonderful!

Group babysitting doesn't start until later in the evening & they definitely wouldn't sleep with other kids laying or sitting (or even running) around them. Plus 10pm is a bit late for us to go eat dinner. ;)

As for leaving them with a complete stranger. Well we just got a babysitter, a 16 year old girl, recommended by one of her high school teachers. We chatted to her & she seemed really nice & as she had that reference I felt comfortable leaving my girls with her while we went out for dinner.

How is that different than trusting on board staff that are basially recommended by the ship?

Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my girls, but Mommy also loves to spend some quiet time with her sweet husband too.

Camp Carnival will care for your twins from 9AM - 10PM (with a 2 hour break for lunch and a 2 hour break for dinner~~on some nights~~some nights they feed them dinner as well) for FREE. The only charge is $6 an hour for the first child and $4 an hour for additional children AFTER 10PM.

So enjoy your quiet time...you have earned it!!

Archived