a day at grand turk

eric68

My fiancee and I wanted to get away from the cruise ship center and Margaritaville when we got here (especially after fighting my way to the bar for a $6 beer). A security guard told us about a place called Big Daddy's Beach Shack that was a 30 second walk up the beach. We recommend going there! Just past the Carnival beach chairs you will see the red deck umbrellas and green and white Heineken umbrellas of their beach tables. The place was grat. The proprietor is from Boston and is either behind the bar or out chatting with patrons. His staff were mostly locals who are willing to give info about the island. The location is perfect, there table inside the huge cabana with it's cedar beam ceiling, there are deck tables that extend onto the beach and steps from the water, and there are beach tables with umbrellas or under shady trees. The prices are cheaper than Margaritaville, too. Best of all, they take credit cards, so we hung out there for a good portion of the day. We met a taxi driver there who took us for a driving tour of the island (the place is only 7milesx1.5miles) for $30. We got out and walked along Front Street. Neat little place, tree-lined, little bars ad restaurants and dive shacks. Then it turned into Grand Turk's "financial district" (3 banks and a treasury). It was easy to get a cab back to the ship. The place is quaint and we never felt unsafe walking around town. The most relaxing port we've been to in the Caribbean.

Archived