the town of Ketchikan Art Galleries???

kirby1200

We'll be in Ketchikan for half a day only. I've read it's one of the best art towns in America, and the book mentions several merchants in the area.

Has anyone just shopped around this town, and what did you think?

I will try and book an early excursion if they aren't fabulous.

Also, any lunch spots you would recommend?

Also, any lunch spots you would recommend?

As I have not yet made it to Ketchikan (my first Alaskan cruise leaves next week on the 26th), I have been in touch with someone who does live there. She has recommended both the Pioneer Cafe and Annabells as having good food. I'm not sure but think these places must be in the general area of downtown right where the ships dock.

You won't be disappointed- at least from my perspective. I live in Ketchikan and shop at the galleries on a regular basis.

If you start your tour on Mission St. where the welcome arch is located, you'll find several galleries on that street alone. Mission leads directly to Creek Street and you will also find several located on the boardwalk. Each one offers a selection of local, state and regional artists and you'll find several nationally recognized artists as well.

Scanlon's, Exploration Gallery and Soho Coho feature contemporary works. As does Dockside Gallery (located in the Salmon Landing Market Place- which is on the end of the pier near berth 1). Eagle Spirit, Crazy Wolf and Marvin Oliver all specialize in Native work. Soho and Oliver's galleries are located on Creek Street and there is another new gallery along the boardwalk as well- sorry can't remember it's name. The owners of Dockside trading also have a location on Mission Street, in the Cape Fox Marketplace building that features beads, yarn and art work.

There are several others- most are listed with web links on the Ketchikan Visitors Bureau web site if you would like more information. Just go to travelers directory and scroll down to the galleries listing. The Ketchikan Area Arts and Humanities Council's office has a small gallery as well- their exhibits change monthly and feature an interesting array of art in a variety of mediums.

Yes, Ketchikan is a GREAT place for art! I personally can spend my entire time in Ketchikan shopping for art.

For lunch, there's a "mall" called Salmon Landing (I think) right across from the docks with "Crab Crackers" -- we didn't try it as it was closed early (4 p.m.) the day we were there. If you are like me and want to be near the ship as time runs short, you may want to try it.

Yes, it sounds like I will really enjoy the town itself. I can spend my $$$$ shopping instead of excursions here. Fine arts and crafts is my alltime fav kind of shopping.

Thanks for the suggestions. Some of the places you mentioned are in the Best of Alaska book I read.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me about a place in Ketchikan called Dr. Rock? It is a place where you can stop in and watch rock carving. I saw this on a post awhile ago and can't seem to find it again. I hope someone can tell me about this...Thanks!

Archived