Juneau - helicopter

KK11

I would love to do the helicopter excursion, end of July-2008. Schedule shows only in Juneau from 2:00 - 9:00 pm so don't want anything that is over 3 hrs, then I can do the Mendenhall Glacier and Tram on my own.

I will probably book on-line from HAL, so scheduling handled by HAL.

Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest Duration: Approximately 5 1/4 hours- so will not have time for anything else (will lave the whales for next time)

What do you recommend:

Pilot's Choice Glacier Explorer by Helicopter (with Two Landings)

<H1 style="MARGIN: auto 0in">Four Glacier Adventure by Helicopter (with Landing)

</H1>

I booked a helicopter/dogsledding tour (2.75 hrs) last night and they had lots of time slots available on both Coastal and TEMSCO. It was still expensive, but it saved me $260/4 people to do it on my own vs HAL. Savings on Coastal would've been even more, but I felt more comfortable with TEMSCO.

The whale watching tour with Orca is 3.5 hrs and again cheaper if you book on your own. You would not have time if you were doing that and a 3-ish hour helicopter ride. Other companies may have shorter whale excursions.

They know when the cruise ships are coming in/leaving and they work with you to get a tour that will work with your schedule. I'd suggest calling one of them directly if money/time is a concern. I've read here that the companies will work together to make sure you are transpoted from one tour to the other. I've not decided yet if I am doing Orca due to the cost of dogsledding, so have no first hand experience. I'll probably do the Tram instead.

KK11- The helicopter tours and the Mendenhall visitor center are in the same general area. Don't backtrack to the cruise ships or you will waste 1+ hour going back and forth.

The glacier shuttles run until 6:30pm. You're probably better off taking the shuttle to the glacier, then taking a late helo tour. They can pick you up at the visitor center. If you book through the cruise line you may be forced to start and end your tour at the docks.

Because time is limited, you have to figure out a couple of things. I have read here that people doing a helicopter (which flies immediately over Mendenhall) may want to think about skipping a shuttle there on land, UNLESS part of why you are going is to hike. Also, since you will be in the air and getting all those views of Juneau's harbor, you may save time by skipping the tram UNLESS you want to hike while up there. Therefore, if you eliminated the intricate transportation timing above, you would POSSIBLY have time for Orca or other company's whale watch, if the timing worked out exactly. You would have to check with them and Temsco about transporting you between the two excursions, but definitely NOT going back to the ship.

Google whale watch Juneau and get some websites so you can email the owners/operators about times available and if they'd transport you to/from the heliport.

if the ship leaves at 9, you have to back on board no later than 8:30, plus you will not have eaten, so weigh that, as well.

Good point about the tram if already doing a helicopter tour. I just wish I had more money to spend on tours. I would definitely do Orca or one of the other whale watching tours. This is already the most expensive trip I've ever taken and I haven't even started the cruise !

I would love to do the helicopter excursion, end of July-2008. Schedule shows only in Juneau from 2:00 - 9:00 pm so don't want anything that is over 3 hrs, then I can do the Mendenhall Glacier and Tram on my own.

I will probably book on-line from HAL, so scheduling handled by HAL.

Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest Duration: Approximately 5 1/4 hours- so will not have time for anything else (will lave the whales for next time)

What do you recommend:

Pilot's Choice Glacier Explorer by Helicopter (with Two Landings)

<H1 style="MARGIN: auto 0in">Four Glacier Adventure by Helicopter (with Landing)

</H1>

We just returned from our cruisetour yesterday. I made my reservations through TEMSCO for the dog sledding but it was cancelled due to weather. This is something that happens quite often in Juneau. We were offered a refund, or the Pilot's Choice tour. We took the tour and what an amazing experience that was! We landed on 2 glaciers and saw some amazing scenery. This was probably one of our best excursions and will definitely do it again when we go back. If you book through TEMSCO directly, you will save some money. We were on our way to the airport about 10:30 and returned by 1:15 to make our next tour with Harv and Marv. I highly recommend this! :)

http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/

From this website is where I found out about the helicopter flights in Juneau. They were AWESOME. We had no problems with booking on line and they picked us up right on the dock. We saved $ doing it this way instead of thru HAL. Our cruise was Jun 8 - 15. I'd also do the dog sled tour that they offer if I were to book again. Everyone I talked to just raved about it.

The glacier shuttle bus is run by Mighty Great Trips. You can google that for the website. There are other threads about the shuttle, I think it's $7 per person each way and the last one back to the docks is around 6:30pm. The other option is a taxi.

The glacier shuttle bus is run by Mighty Great Trips. You can google that for the website. There are other threads about the shuttle, I think it's $7 per person each way and the last one back to the docks is around 6:30pm. The other option is a taxi.

Thanks kenish.

Archived