Portofino's

I've asked this question before...haven't seen any response...............................

Opinions on alternate dining in Portofino's on Explorer.

Grandeur 9/98 icon_smile.gif

Explorer 5/01 icon_smile.gif

Monarch 5/03 icon_frown.gif

Explorer 5/9/04

Voyager 5/21/04

Great! We want to try it this time around. So is it still $20 pp. Do we tip the wait staff in there as well? Is it all Italian choices?

Grandeur 9/98 icon_smile.gif

Explorer 5/01 icon_smile.gif

Monarch 5/03 icon_frown.gif

Explorer 5/9/04

Voyager 5/21/04

When I was on the VOS is was $20pp in November. Tip is supposed to be included, but I added an extra $5pp. They have filet mignon, lobster, fish and italian dishes. Well worth the money.

DeeKDRoseTransp.gifabducted.gif

Email: Deanna34769@wmconnect.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our Martian Yatch Club Adventure

RCCL Adventure of the Seas 11/14/04

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 10/26/03

Carnival Pride 11/9/02

Premier Cruise Lines (5 sailings)

We chose to dine one night at Portofino's on the Voyager and was very happy we did so. It was excellent!!! Much better then dining room food quality. Our waiter was awesome. We couldn't eat dessert because we were all so full, so he gave each couple a full plate of desserts, one of each they offered, for us to take back to our cabin for later. And mmmmmm! It was a great midnight treat. Well worth the money.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

As I don't care for the Venetian Feast dinner in the main dining room, Portofino's is a good place to still have an italian dinner that night. The service and the food were excellent!

Marc

You won't find dinner or service that good for 20 bucks anywhere else on this planet...icon_smile.gif

Serenade 10/30/03

Destiny 6/02

Monarch 5/99

Holiday 4/98

Tropical 6/95

Asure Seas 3/93

Asure Seas 5/91

Holiday 3/88

Ms Southward 5/85

We also loved the murder mystery. The play was a little corny. It was put on by members of the child-care staff. The menu was limited - Everyone got the same everything except main course. The choice was between fillet mignon with large shrimp or veal (I can't spell it but it was yummy.) The %50 included wine with supper - and they kept those glasses full. The wine was a choice between red and white. While not a great vintage, it was a nice beverage. That evening was a high point of our cruise.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

I agree - ate at Portofino's on AOS and it is great; however, you need to make a reservation the first day you are on the ship to get your selection of days/times. They book up quick.

Happy Cruising

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorraine:

another question. What is the Venetian feast? Is that a theme night in the dining room<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm guessing it's an Italian menu of some sort?? I don't know, but I'd like to know more about it and what people liked and didn't like it.

Navigator of the Seas 5/1/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;1;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I did the Surf and Turf (filet migon and lobster tail)because the tail alone is the same size as the one served in main dining room or about 3 bites. That was a huge disappointment to me because on the Carnival Legend when I paid the extra $20 for their upscale I got a lobster tail the size of my arm. Now that was $20 worth of tail!

Not so on RCL, portions way to small for that much extra charge. The Ceasar salad was a nice toss at your table and the added extras do make it a nice experience. Worth doing at least once in your lifetime.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;07;19;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail on the Zuiderdam

Til we sail on the Mariner of The Seas RCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;3;7;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until we sail on the Disney Wonder

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;10;09;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

til we sail the ms Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;05;29;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I thought I had read on here that the price had gone up to $25 per person.

Yes, you can eat as much as you want, but you get pretty full from what is offered.

You can also order a second lobster tail if the one you get is too small for you. They want to do everything to please you.

Don't forget that beverages are NOT included other than tea, lemonade, coffee and water from the tap NOT bottled water. (We were charged $7 a bottle of Evian not realizing it was an extra charge!)

It is a nice meal though, and we tipped extra for the excellent service that we received.

<FONT SIZE=5><FONT FACE="Signature">Christy</FONT></FONT>

Rhapsody Of The Seas - 10/08/00 - Mexican Riviera - Our 7th Anniversary

Radiance Of The Seas - 06/28/03 - Alaska! - My parents 40th Anniversary

Navigator Of The Seas - 10/04/03 - Western Caribbean - Our 10th Anniversary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorraine:

Where does the murder mystery take place?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The mystery starts in the Colony Club at 7 PM. Basically, you get some champagne and get sorted out into your tables. You also meet all the characters. From there you go into Portifinos. Portifinos is closed to other diners that evening because the mystery takes about 2 1/2 hours.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

When I sailed on the Carnival Spririt we ate at the alternative restaurant. The lobster was an African Lobster, the size was unbeliavable, not the size of the regular lobster they served in the dining room. My hubby had a 24 oz porterhouse steak. It was the size of the plate, cooked to order. Our meal was fantastic. We asked for the chef to come out and we gave him a standing ovation. He was quite pleased. The evening was a memorable part of our cruise. I want uo try the Radiance next and my husbnd keeps saying make sure they have the alternative restaurant so we can have that fabulous meal again. I think he's going to be disappointed. I didn't see porterhouse steak on the menu and if the lobster is the same size as in the dining why spend the extra money. Any feedback from those that have tried Carnival & RCCL alternative dining?

Yes, the price went up to $25.00 several months ago and may rise again, considering that Celebrity just increased their alternative dining charge from $25 to $30.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until NOS Sailing 10/23/04

Several cruises, but why list them when no one cares?

Do you have to sign up for the Murder Mystery? Is it only available if you are dining on Portofino's on a certain night? How do you know which night to make reservations from Portofino that would include the murder mystery.

Navigator of the Seas 05/15/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;05;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My sister & I dined at Portofino on the Navigator on March 9. It was 25 per per person whihc included the gratuity but we each left $35, because our waiters worked so hard & were so nice.

I had shrimp for dinner and they were very large & delicious. My sister had the trout which is de-boned tableside. The caesar salad is not what you would get dining in a fine restaurant though. They didn't prepare the dressing tableside, they only tossed the lettuce with the pre-made dressing table side. Same dressing that they use in the dining room. It was still good. We were too tired to have dessert and the waiter felt bad so he told us to stop by the following night for dessert, which I thought was quite nice of him, but we never did go back for dessert.

I think you should try it. It was a nice change from the dining room.

I keep reading here and other places that the upcharge is either $20 or $25. Which is it? Does it include the tip or are others charged $20 and they add $5 tip? I'm confused? Does RCL charge different on different ships? In March on Mariner I know I paid $20 tip included. Not that $5 more matters that much but I'd like to at least feel RCL is consistant in how much they charge for these upscale resturants.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;07;19;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail on the Zuiderdam

Til we sail on the Mariner of The Seas RCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;3;7;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until we sail on the Disney Wonder

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;10;09;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

til we sail the ms Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;05;29;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I was on the Explorer on March 20. Portofino's was a $20 per person charge. We added another $5 per person gratuity. On March 20th, the Explorer changed all of her menu's, including Portofino's. Lobster is only offered in a pasta, which also includes shrimp.. Filet is still on the menu. The food and service were wonderful. Whatever you do, don't miss dessert!! The chocolate flourless cake and the tiramisu were to die for! We dined there 2 nights. The first night of the cruise, and the last. The first night was discounted to $15 per person, so you may want to check on that when you board. I don't recall having a "Mystery Murder" night at all. As the other Poster's have said, it will be $20 well spent!! Bon Appetit`.

Archived