water temps for cave tubing

akachop

After all the threads I've read about cave tubing, it's a definite must for our upcoming cruise for Thanksgiving week. My question is how cold will the water be? Our sons will be with us, ages 6 and 8. Should I bring their wetsuits? We did some cave snorkeling while in Mexico this past April and the water was freezing. So glad I had packed the wet suits or they would have been miserable. In Mexico, our tour operator provided me and my husband with wet suits to use. Does anyone know if any of the tour guides in Belize provide them? Or, is water temp not an issue? Also, for the ladies what did you wear for this trip or what did you wish you had worn? It seems odd to be trekking through the jungle for 45 minutes in just my bathing suit. Did you wear shorts during the walking portion, take them off before getting into the river, and return to the same spot that you started after you were done tubing to retrieve any items you wanted for the walk but not the tubing? Sorry to make this complicated. Any info would be appreciated.

After all the threads I've read about cave tubing, it's a definite must for our upcoming cruise for Thanksgiving week. My question is how cold will the water be? Our sons will be with us, ages 6 and 8. Should I bring their wetsuits? We did some cave snorkeling while in Mexico this past April and the water was freezing. So glad I had packed the wet suits or they would have been miserable. In Mexico, our tour operator provided me and my husband with wet suits to use. Does anyone know if any of the tour guides in Belize provide them? Or, is water temp not an issue? Also, for the ladies what did you wear for this trip or what did you wish you had worn? It seems odd to be trekking through the jungle for 45 minutes in just my bathing suit. Did you wear shorts during the walking portion, take them off before getting into the river, and return to the same spot that you started after you were done tubing to retrieve any items you wanted for the walk but not the tubing? Sorry to make this complicated. Any info would be appreciated.

We did this in December 2006. I don't like cold water and it was a little too chilly for me. The 12 year olds didn't think it was chilly at all. The 7 year old was too cold to enjoy much.

I went in May of last year and I had goosebumps the whole time. It wasnt especially hot that day, so the cold water didnt really help! I did not feel comfortable hiking in just my bathing suit either, I just wore some shorts, even in the water. You will not be able to go back for them at the beginning of the cave if you take them off before entering the water. When we got back to the bus I had a minute or so to run and change into dry clothes at the restroom/shower area that they have. (You can always take a dry-bag with you in the caves...a waterproof bag)

I went in May of last year and I had goosebumps the whole time. It wasnt especially hot that day, so the cold water didnt really help! I did not feel comfortable hiking in just my bathing suit either, I just wore some shorts, even in the water. You will not be able to go back for them at the beginning of the cave if you take them off before entering the water. When we got back to the bus I had a minute or so to run and change into dry clothes at the restroom/shower area that they have. (You can always take a dry-bag with you in the caves...a waterproof bag)

We were just there and the water was a bit chilly at first but I got used to it. We had Thomas as our guide and he wore his wetsuit but he's local and probably used to the warmer temps. To me it was the same temp as early season pool water. He said it was in the upper 60s.

Did this in Nov 07 with our son then 6. He didn't mind the water temp or the darkness. He was only worried about how deep the water was. I really didn't think the water temp was that cold about the same as the Delaware/Maryland beaches here in June. My wife wore shorts over her swimsuit that the water runs off of, seemed to work for her. Wear water shoes, they seemed to help.

Archived