Seward (anchorage) Alaska

SailoretteII

I am doing a back to back Alaska cruise on HAL July 27th - August 10th. It seems that the shore excursions offered in Seward (the turn around point) are mostly for those on cruisetours or departing passengers. Anyone have any suggestions of what to do here? We are in port from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Wildlife/glacier cruises into Kenai Fjords National park are very popular. We have several larger 150+ passenger and a couple smaller more personalized boats.

Exit Glacier, Sealife Center, 2 kinds of dogsled rides-wheeled cart & helicopter with glacier landing-real dogsled ride on snow, kayaking, fishing, museum, film on 64 quake and many hiking trails.

I am doing a back to back Alaska cruise on HAL July 27th - August 10th. It seems that the shore excursions offered in Seward (the turn around point) are mostly for those on cruisetours or departing passengers. Anyone have any suggestions of what to do here? We are in port from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

We booked the Renown 6-hour Kenai Fjords tour and loved it. We saw lots of wildlife and the scenery was beautiful. You can take the same tour at 7 AM with HAL but I don't think that it is with Renown. At the time that we booked we got a 20% discount. There is also a 2-for-1 coupon in the Northern Lights coupon book. Even without the discount it is well worth the $149 price. I think it is a must-do if you have time in Seward. If you don't want to book ahead you might be able to book it the day you arrive but I guess it depends on the day of the week and how many ships are in port.

Thanks for your input. I am travelling solo so not sure I want to go an any independant tours. From the list I have from HAL, there doesn't seem to be an excursion I am eligible for, i.e. not departing ship and going to airport after tour and not part of tourcruise group. I will check this out with HAL on Monday. In the meantime, what is in Seward within walking distance of ship?

Thanks for your input. I am travelling solo so not sure I want to go an any independant tours.

I can understand having some concerns, being alone in a place you don't know, but these tours are perfectly safe, run by reputable operators, and a great way to spend they day. You will find people of all ages, from the US and beyond. Maybe give it a second thought?

In the meantime, what is in Seward within walking distance of ship?

It is about 1500ft from where your ship will dock to the harbor area, where you'll find eateries, shops, tour operators, etc. Not too much to do, but a bit to see. If you go a mile or so in town (walk, trolley, cab) you could go to the Alaska Sea Life Center.

Seward is a great little town and one of my favorite places in Alaska.

No problems being a solo traveller in Seward. It's one of the nicest and friendliest places in Alaska.

The Kenai Fjords tour is a must, particularly if you want to see wildlife and glaciers much better than you can do from a cruise ship. If you want to know more, go to the Seward Chamber of Commerce website at http://www.sewardak.org

Boat trips into the fjords start as early as 8:00am. You can easily book these on your own.

If you choose to book a Kenai Fjords trip independently, there will undoubtedly be others from the ship on the trip with you. There were at least 6 people from our ship with us. The boat gets back at 5:30 giving you plenty of time to get back to the ship. They are very prompt. The tour company provides transportation both ways if you need it. HAL also provides a free shuttle into town and back all during the day. The sealife center is quite a way from the ship if you are walking.

I am sure that you could do the Kenai Fjords trip through HAL if you are more comfortable doing that. The trip starts at 7 AM. Those with transfers are taken to Anchorage after the boat trip but I am sure that you could be dropped off at the ship or you could take the shuttle back. Unfortunately, the excursions in Seward are not set up to accommodate the B2B'ers but I am sure that it could be worked out.

No problems being a solo traveller in Seward. It's one of the nicest and friendliest places in Alaska.

The Kenai Fjords tour is a must, particularly if you want to see wildlife and glaciers much better than you can do from a cruise ship. If you want to know more, go to the Seward Chamber of Commerce website at www.sewardak.org

Boat trips into the fjords start as early as 8:00am. You can easily book these on your own.

Thanks again everyone. I went to the Seward website and they have a walking map that gets you around Town. I think I will consider this as a relaxing day and do things at my own pace and explore Seward. No doubt they have some interesting eateries/bars/saloons to while away a few hours people watching and the walk takes you to the Sealife Center. As you know, the shore excursions are very pricey on this trip and I have quite a few booked already, so a day off would be welcome.

Archived