shops/stores aroung Princess Denali

betmust

Hi all,

We will be in Alaska in August - 3 day land and then a cruise. My last stop is the Princess Lodge at Denali. Is there any stores or shops in the area where I could pick up a bottle or 2 of wine? I don't want to bring it with me the whole tour and thought maybe i could pick it up the last night. I will leave the next morning and go by train to Whittier for the cruise.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bette

We bought wine at the Riley Mercantile last week. They had a much bigger selection than we expected (actually we didn't expect there to be any wine there) and the price was not unreasonable.

If you're going into the park, this may work for you.

MFH - I didn't even think of this; thanks for correcting me.

OP - Your challenge will now be getting to the Riley Campground Mercantile, which is near the entrance of the park (about 1/2 mile in).

Not sure exactly what you have planned for the park itself. You could walk there from your lodge in a pinch. The best bet might be to shuttle from your hotel to the Denali Visitors Center or WAC. You can then take the free Riley Creek shuttle to the merchantile. If you are taking a tour or shuttle bus into the park, you can just pick up with RC shuttle when dropped off at the Visitor's Center or WAC.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/courtesy-shuttle-buses.htm

Archived