What do you bring when you port?

Nintendowan6

When you get off the boat at one of the ports, what would you recommend bringing? What do you need to have with you?

Also, what's the best way to keep it safe? For example, if I bring my camera and go out into the water, what do you normally do to keep it safe?

Thanks, everyone!

I would recommend besides your passports/IDs and Carnival card to get back on the ship- to bring aspirin- this has come in handy more times than I can count, bottled water, sunscreen and lots of small bills to pay for things you buy. I have always just put everything in a backpack and cover it with a towel and no one has ever bothered anything. You could always have someone in your group sit with the stuff and watch it if you were really worried about the area. Some places have lockers you can rent too.

well you can take a chance that no one will take it, dont take anything you cant live without or if theres someone from the ship which there probably is you can ask them to keep an eye out might want to but them a drink first. also a cheap disposable camera might be one way to go most of all a little common sense goes a long way;)

I bring just my wallet and camera.

The only thing I keep in my wallet is a copy of my passport and my drivers license and a few small bills to buy trinkets.

REMEMBER gents, keep your wallet in your FRONT pocket. Most pick pockets would go right for the back pocket.

We always bring a bag with bottled water, a watch, towels, sunscreen (and sometimes) bug spray.

I wouldn't bring your entire wallet ashore. Lock most of it in the safe and just bring a credit card, enough cash for the day, your ID and Carnival card - put it together with a rubber band and carry it in your pocket.

When you go in the water, nonchalantly put the cards & cash into a plastic ziploc baggie, dig a small hole, drop it in and cover it with sand - then place your shoe or a hat over the hole so you don't forget where your stuff is.

Keep an eye on the rest of your bag, but don't worry too much - not many theives are going to go around digging holes on the beach, it doesn't make for a quick theft. ;)

The answer to this question is going to depend on what you're doing off the ship. If you are going to a beach then a backpack with your towels, sunscreen, etc is excellent. I agree that I wouldn't take a good camera unless someone is going to be there watching your stuff. But if you're going shopping then we take a backpack and put our id's, extra camera batteries, sunscreen if we're walking all in it. Then we have a place to put the things we buy as well while leaving our hands free. No matter where we are going I always take a couple of simple tiny first aid things like a few bandaids and stuff just in case one of us gets cut or something.

In addition to all the other good advice, maybe a small pack of pre-moistened hand wipes and/or hand sanitizer...doesn't take up much room at all. I threw in a few band aids specifically made for blisters that were waterproof and they sure came in handy for me.

I use a water wallet for my DL, S&S, CC and cash. I take my own snorkel and mask. I don't like using others. I bring a small bottle of baby shampoo, put a few drops in your mask, smear around rinse and your mask will not fog up, much cleaner and works better then spit and will not burn your eyes. Sunglasses ,water shoes, sun block, towels, handiwipes (some bathrooms at some ports don't have toilet paper:eek: ). But it depends on what you are going to do.

These are some great lists. I bring different things for water based excursions/beach days than I do tours/shopping. If we are doing water stuff I always pick up a few of the cheap underwater disposable cameras to use. Land tours I will bring my digital. The pictures from the disposables have turned out great and your local photo place can put them on a CD so you have digital files.

Also remember that backpacks are also easy targets for pickpockets - they are fine for your towels, sunscreen and misc. stuff but keep your cash, id, & credit cards close to your person at all times. Use either a front pants pocket or a special travel wallet that goes under your clothing. I also like the cheap plastic "beach safes" for water activities that hang around your neck. I use those while in the water for money/id/credit cards so they are with me at all times.

Archived