HAL 1st timer questions - Eastern excursions

8thlivewire

Hi all ! :)

I'm new to this board, so bear with me ! We're not 1st time cruisers - just 1st timers with HAL. We went on Costa in 1996 and Disney in 2001. Both were wonderful ! We'll be on the Oct. 30th Maasdam out of Norfolk - can't wait ! I just have a couple questions about the excursions.

St. Thomas - How is Coral World/snorkeling ? Would a 10 year old enjoy it ?

St. John - How is Dolphin Discovery - my 10 year old really wants to do this.

St. Maarten - Is there anything you can walk to from port ?

San Juan - Again, is there anything you can walk to from port ?

Thanks for any help !

8thlivewire ;)

I'll let other, more knowledgable, posters respond to your shore excursion question, but I want to tell you what a grand ship I think the Maasdam is. After several HAL cruises, each on a different ship, the Maasdam is our favorite. She is everything a great ship should be, elegant, comfortable, well laid out, good staff and good food. I hope you have a memorable cruise.

We were in San Juan a couple of years ago. We walked from the ship to an historic fort and ruins at the top of a hill near the dock. I believe that the site is a National Park. Unfortunately for us, the interior part of the fort and tours had closed by the time we arrived. We were able to walk over some of the ruins and our kids enjoyed it. Maybe someone else can give you more information on this.

Beth

Hi 8th Live Wire. Welcome to the boards.

There is a big roll call for this date on the roll call boards. I'm sure if you go there you will mett many of those travelling with you. Also ask your questions there are several have been to Coral world. I am going there my self in Feb.

Look for Maasdam 30 Oct on roll call board. I know they would love to me you and your family.

8thlivewire,

First let me welcome you to this board, as I see it's your first post. Secondly, let me welcome you to this cruise. We have a very active roll call thread going. Perhaps you'd like to check in there.

This is my first stop at any of these ports, so I can't really give you much advice. DW and I will be going to Coki beach, along with a number of others on this threads.

Marc

8thlivewire .... Noticed this is your very FIRST post so wanted to say "WELCOME"!

Gosh, certainly remember cruising with a 10 year olds! Enjoy! They grow up all too quickly! :o

You would probably find going to The PORTS Of CALL Section and checking under EACH of you Port Stops very helpful. Lots of good information and it's a part of the CC boards so you certainly can feel free to ask questions there as well.

Hope this helps. Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

We will be sailing on HAL for the first time on a 10 night cruise from Norfolk on the Maasdam Nov. 20. Since we don't know the schedule for formal nights and theme nights, we would like some opinions on the best night or nights to eat in the Pinnacle.

We have sailed on Princess and Celebrity and enjoyed their alternative restaurants. On Princess ships we tried to schedule alternative dining on French night.

Any thoughts from veteran HAL cruisers would be appreciated.

We will be sailing on HAL for the first time on a 10 night cruise from Norfolk on the Maasdam Nov. 20. Since we don't know the schedule for formal nights and theme nights, we would like some opinions on the best night or nights to eat in the Pinnacle.

We have sailed on Princess and Celebrity and enjoyed their alternative restaurants. On Princess ships we tried to schedule alternative dining on French night.

Any thoughts from veteran HAL cruisers would be appreciated.

HW, first of all, I see this is your first post, so let me welcome you to CC.

I also have my first HAL cruise coming up on Oct. 30, so I probably couldn't give you good advice here. However, people may not come to this thread unless they have input on E. Caribbean excursions. So you may want to repost this question under a new thread.

Orcrone

Hello and welcome, re the ports of San Juan and Sint Maarten, you should dock in SJ directly across the street from the main area of old SJ. Lots of lovely shops, two forts to explore etc, also there is a free trolley that runs around. Take it up to El Morro and then wend your way back down to the port area, stopping at will. In SM, there is a water taxi where the ship docks, I think it was $5 return for all day. This will take you to the main area of town for shopping, beaches etc. There is a nice bar/restaurant on the beach, its called Everyting` cool. You can use their beach area and they have lockers to use. Hope this helps a little.....jean :cool:

Archived