New to all this...

Hi Pumpkin,

Welcome to the forum - I think it's great as so many nice people offer help and advice on here and I'm sure like the rest of us, you will love cruising and soon become an 'old hand' - and a Thomson fan.

You ask about advice and tips - well before you go, you can't begin to imagine what everything is going to be like but I can assure you that Thomson have the transfers from/to the airport really well organised and once you get to your cabin, (your suitcases will be brought to your cabin) you will find all the information about excursions as well as a Cruise News telling you what happens each day and a ship's map to help you get around. Food and drinks will be available whenever you get on board so if you're ready for something to eat after a long journey make for the dining room/buffet straight away - you don't need to wait for a 'mealtime'. (Our flight was once delayed and we arrived on board at 4 am - they had a full buffet waiting for us!!!)

It's difficult to know quite what to tell you except that everything very quickly falls into place and in no time you'll be relaxing and enjoying the food/entertainment etc. If you can think of anything specific you want to know or are unsure of - post your questions (even if you think they're silly - we've all been there!). I've found everyone on here is really helpful and supportive.

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya pumpkin.

I've only been a member of this site for a couple of months and find all member friendly and very helpfull. We sailed on Destiny twice in 2006 (May and October) and had a great time. This like you was our introduction to cruising and now we're HOOKED! We have decided to spread our wings this year and going on Ventura for 2 weeks in October. She's about 3 times larger than Destiny so hope we haven't made a mistake????

But don't worry we're back on Destiny next May :)

I'm sure you'll have agreat time. Happy cruising.

and going on my first ever cruise on Aug 28th, Med, on Thomson Destiny.

Anyone got any advice / tips etc etc???

Get the train from the port. It is oh so easy. When I went last year it was 9 euro for return train ticket (this included the buses and underground in Rome) fabulous cheap way to travel. Got off at the Vatican and then walked round all the sites in Rome. An amazing city. My favourite place on earth:D

Archived