The best untold thing of cruises

Nobody ever talks about this (as far as I have seen), but I think one of THE best things about going on cruises is their are NO bugs. Its great, you can go out by the pool as dusk comes and not have to worry about getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. Commets? Or any other untold things to share?

Nobody ever talks about this (as far as I have seen), but I think one of THE best things about going on cruises is their are NO bugs. Its great, you can go out by the pool as dusk comes and not have to worry about getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. Commets? Or any other untold things to share?

I dont know about that.. theres been some chat about bed bugs :eek:

Not that I ever experienced that (Thankyoulord!)

But I did spend about an hour trying to get a horsefly out of my cabin...

That is a very good point. I live in a rural town in NH. I love the outdoors but despise the bugs. It's black fly season right now and the mosquitoes are terrible too. I can't count the number of bug bites I have already. :(

I also don't find many bugs at our ports but maybe that's because I'm not out in the more tropical parts of the islands we visit.

I can personally say that we had a major roach issue on the Grand Princess on our Balcony and had to be moved to another stateroom a couple years ago.... bugs are on cruise ships I assure you !

Yes bugs do get on cruise ships. Things are being transported on and off whether it is supplies, food or in passengers luggage.

One time we had a bird fly into our cabin through our balcony door that was propped open. I used the trusty Carnival towel to herd him back out into the wild blue yonder...

On Princess last year, several in our group (different cabins/different floors) had bug bites. I believe it might have been brought in with sand on shoes, etc. But, I DEFINITELY got bit up! I did not see any evidence of bed bugs.. but not even sure if I would know if I saw it.

Generally speaking, however, that is the ONLY time I had that issue and generally have not had a bug issue before.

K

I'm going to leave the bug topic ...

A couple of things I've found that I did not originally anticipate were:

1. My kids enjoying the shows - I have 2 teens and figured they might think the shows were hoakey, but they liked them as much as we do and as an added bonus have shown an interest in going to the theater with DH and me. That was a benefit I never expected.

2. The way when you step on board you can actually feel the divider go up between you and your everyday life - I know it's only temporary, but it feels marvolous when you take that first deep breath on board.

I believe the OP is writing specifically about the absence of the kind of bugs that flock to you when you are trying to catch some rays on your deck at home. Roaches will be wherever there is food or garbage, and there are lots of both on any cruise.

As for the horsefly in the cabin, that must have been on RCI's Canadian Immersion cruise. It came on with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.:D

I believe the OP is writing specifically about the absence of the kind of bugs that flock to you when you are trying to catch some rays on your deck at home. Roaches will be wherever there is food or garbage, and there are lots of both on any cruise.

I am well aware of how roaches breed, but this was an infestation of our balcony and the two cabins beside us. The problem stemmed from the matting on the balcony floor... it was really nasty and then they started to get into our room.... at that point we said enuff is enuff and had the hotel manager personally observe what we were dealing with and then went to to the other two cabins to see if they would like to move as well after seeing the same problems. We were lucky there was still available cabins to move to on a different deck and had no problems afterwards. Kudos to Princess for helping us and they even offered us a $50.00 per cabin OBC for the problems.... story ended up on a positive note ! :D

our teens who don't like anything will try all of the duck, escargot, veal, etc. dishes on the ship. Get back home, plain hamburgers and stick their noses up at Mom's spagetti. Maybe it is the sea, I don't know but when cruising they are adventuresome.

The best untold thing of cruising is that my husband's blackberry doesn't work at sea. Being able to go on a vacation without getting phone calls and emails from work every 2 minutes= priceless. :D And once he got back to work, he was so relaxed that all his co-workers appreciated him taking the vacation rather than being mad that he was gone the whole week. ;)

2. The way when you step on board you can actually feel the divider go up between you and your everyday life - I know it's only temporary, but it feels marvolous when you take that first deep breath on board.

That's exactly how I feel, But have never been able to explain it!

A couple of things I've found that I did not originally anticipate were:

There's nothing like it! It's something you can not explain to people who have never cruised.

I am well aware of how roaches breed, but this was an infestation of our balcony and the two cabins beside us. The problem stemmed from the matting on the balcony floor... it was really nasty and then they started to get into our room.... at that point we said enuff is enuff and had the hotel manager personally observe what we were dealing with and then went to to the other two cabins to see if they would like to move as well after seeing the same problems. We were lucky there was still available cabins to move to on a different deck and had no problems afterwards. Kudos to Princess for helping us and they even offered us a $50.00 per cabin OBC for the problems.... story ended up on a positive note ! :D

I need to switch my comment to a "thank you.". This is the kind of thing we all need to know about. So glad to hear that your situation worked out well. We read so many posts where there were problems and no vacant cabins available. Hmm...maybe I need to add roach killer to my packing list. Have you posted about this on the Princess board?

The other day my sister calls me and says . . . . "I just heard the ring tone that goes off everytime there's about to be an announcement on the ship". We ususally go every 2 years, this years got moved to next summer. So needless to say she feeling the withdrawal now. It took me a few seconds but it definitely came to me.

As for the horsefly in the cabin, that must have been on RCI's Canadian Immersion cruise. It came on with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.:D

Nope on the Miracle... ;) but i dont get the joke ???

When we were in Alaska going through the glaciers, you are where no man can go by car or train or plane. You are in remote wilderness. You cruise through fjords with mountains and glaciers towering above you on both sides.

One day while we were approaching the Hubbard Glacier, the captailn announced that the engines would be shut off, music off, etc.

It was a magical moment.

Alaska cruises are very scenic. Almost spiritual.

I'd reccommend them to anyone.

I need to switch my comment to a "thank you.". This is the kind of thing we all need to know about. So glad to hear that your situation worked out well. We read so many posts where there were problems and no vacant cabins available. Hmm...maybe I need to add roach killer to my packing list. Have you posted about this on the Princess board?

Ths was old news and not something I wanted to bring up on a new thread. This thread just seem appropriate for the mentioning :D Have never had a problem on anyother ship we have sailed on with this problem ever !

My DH has a thing about mosquitos & black flies (or anything that can result in EEE ) He brought two types of bug spray on our recent Miracle cruise and never used either one. Believe me, had he THOUGHT he spotted one, he would have been smelling of deet (which the organic gardeer in me hates,but i digress).

we did share our balcony with a couple ants, but those were the only insects we saw.

As far as the best untold thing.... the dividers make it difficult for people to peer onto your balcony. Nude sun bathing was a wonderful plus.. Sure, one neighbor almost killed himself leaning over the bow, but whatever :D

Not hearing people talking on cell phones every where you go. It is amazing how we ever manged to leave the house before cell phones.

I'm afraid that will be a thing of the past. On our cruise in May there was a woman carrying on a long conversation on her cell phone. I have a trac phone for emergencies only.

I find it very annoying in restaurants and stores.

Not hearing people talking on cell phones every where you go. It is amazing how we ever manged to leave the house before cell phones.

I was actually shocked at the number of people walking around talking on their phones. And I bet they will be as eqaully shocked when then get home and see there phone bills, especially the teens and young adults.

I loved not having to make any decisions. I knew where and what time to eat, what time to get up (if I want to) and by booking excursions ahead of time we knew what we were going to be doing in port each day!

Archived