The Oasis..A Bridge Too Far or Not?

At the reception to launch the Oasis class, Richard Fain told an interesting story about meeting the ship as it returned from its first revenue sailing. They watched Voyager and a Vision class ship empty out their passengers, the two ships having arrived at the same time.

Voyager was cleared a full hour ahead of the other, because of course when they build a bigger ship, they take this into account.

When we were on Century in April (a smallish 2,400), the crush of people to get off the ship in Cozumel was very off-putting. We have never experienced this on a large ship. Similarly, we have never stood in line more than we did on Westerdam, a ship under 2,000 people but full of bottlenecks and places to queue up. Getting a pool chair after about 7 in the morning was impossible and folks were crabby (ok, that may not have been related to ship size).

At the reception to launch the Oasis class, Richard Fain told an interesting story about meeting the ship as it returned from its first revenue sailing. They watched Voyager and a Vision class ship empty out their passengers, the two ships having arrived at the same time.

Voyager was cleared a full hour ahead of the other, because of course when they build a bigger ship, they take this into account.

When we were on Century in April (a smallish 2,400), the crush of people to get off the ship in Cozumel was very off-putting. We have never experienced this on a large ship. Similarly, we have never stood in line more than we did on Westerdam, a ship under 2,000 people but full of bottlenecks and places to queue up. Getting a pool chair after about 7 in the morning was impossible and folks were crabby (ok, that may not have been related to ship size).

Thanks you for stating that. This was one of my largest concerns when it comes to these behemoth ships they're building now.

I get claustrophobic at debark (which is why I love debark on NCL because they allow you to stay in your cabin. This is bliss) At the end of a cruise, no one is happy to start with...and then you put all thos miserable people together, all crowded in one area and it's a nightmare.

I'm glad to hear the larger ships have a handle on this. :)

Thanks you for stating that. This was one of my largest concerns when it comes to these behemoth ships they're building now.

I get claustrophobic at debark (which is why I love debark on NCL because they allow you to stay in your cabin. This is bliss) At the end of a cruise, no one is happy to start with...and then you put all thos miserable people together, all crowded in one area and it's a nightmare.

I'm glad to hear the larger ships have a handle on this. :)

Then you should be thrilled to know they're building a terminal in conjuntion with Port Evergaldes to address the needs of the ship. The rumor is that they will embark at two different levels.

Then you should be thrilled to know they're building a terminal in conjuntion with Port Evergaldes to address the needs of the ship. The rumor is that they will embark at two different levels.

sounds good.

Hence, the ships get bigger and bigger and more and more crowded. I've simply lost patience with things like the huge lines on Voyager-class for everything -- getting off the ship, getting a place in the Windjammer, getting a lounger at the pool, making my way down the promenade, getting through the customs check before debarking in St. Thomas.

I can't imagine doing any of this with 2,000 more passengers. Our days of cruising with RCCL are over and we are Diamond cruisers with RCCL. We're looking only at smaller ships these days. The small ship cruises are much pricier than RCCL and Carnival, but that's okay with us. Our vacation time is too valuable to spend it crowded on a floating resort with 5,000 others.

I'm with you 100%! My favorite class of RCCL ships is the Vision & Radiance class. It is just the right size for my family and certainly has enough "bells & whistles". I don't want anything bigger.

I don't want to climb a rock wall, or go ice skating (after all, I'm on a cruise, for goodness sakes). If I wanted to do that kind of stuff, or go surfing or go to a mall, I'd do that back home.

I don't want to fight with 4-6,000 other passengers to get on & off the ship, or try to find a deck chair each day. Frankly, I just don't want to be on a ship with over 4,000 other people! :eek: In case of a real emergency at sea, it would be total bedlam..........no thanks.

In one more cruise, I will be a Diamond Plus, and will not hesitate to take my cruise business elsewhere if & when they start retiring the "smaller" ships like Splendour or Brilliance.

Radiance Class is the highest I have sailed to date. I will be sailing on Liberty in 3 days, and though I am SO EXCITED (:D ), I also am prepared for some frustrations based upon what I've read:

-Flowrider: I'd love to try it, but most reviews say there is a long wait...if there is, I won't be trying it.

-Ice skating rink: sounds cool, but again, have read that it is very crowded. Probably won't take advantage of this.

-Pool chairs: I have read that you have to claim one as early as 7am on sea days. :eek: No thanks, I'll wait until I get to the beach to lay out.

-gym: see above. Have read that it is packed after 7am, which is particularly annoying to a daily gym-goer.

-Specialty restaurants: Make reservations as soon as you get on board to ensure that you get one at all because they fill up fast. I will do this, but it is slightly annoying to think that there are soooo many people on board that I might not even be able to pay extra for something. wteff?

Conclusion: I will love wandering around Liberty and enjoying the sites (especially all the bars:D ) but I probably won't take advantage of many of the bells & whistles simply because there are 1000s of others all trying to do the same thing at mostly the same time. I am going to attempt to do things on "off-times" and hope for the best, and if I have an extraordinary experience I am sure I will book Oasis in the next few years. If not, back to Radiance class (which I LOVE) I will go.

jaillson congrats on the Liberty she is a beautiful ship. Remember one thing most people only say something about the bad stuff and not the good. so when you read about one person had a bad experience just remember that there are 4000 others that had a good time. In the case of the flowrider yes the lines can be a little long but its a great experience I think its worth the 30 min wate to try it. With the crowd its yes there are 4200 people on the ship but there not all in the same spot at once. The deck chairs not much of a big deal to me because I dont lay out and sun so I dont know how hard it is to find a chair. I promis you that you will have a great time she is a great ship and has a wonderful crew. We are getting ready to book another cruise on her.

Monarch of the Seas June 2002

Liberty of the Seas August 2007

Liberty of the Seas February 2008

jaillson congrats on the Liberty she is a beautiful ship. Remember one thing most people only say something about the bad stuff and not the good. so when you read about one person had a bad experience just remember that there are 4000 others that had a good time. In the case of the flowrider yes the lines can be a little long but its a great experience I think its worth the 30 min wate to try it. With the crowd its yes there are 4200 people on the ship but there not all in the same spot at once. The deck chairs not much of a big deal to me because I dont lay out and sun so I dont know how hard it is to find a chair. I promis you that you will have a great time she is a great ship and has a wonderful crew. We are getting ready to book another cruise on her.

Thanks for the encouragement, Future Cop. :) I have been on 6 cruises and have had an amazing time on every one of them, but I am a little nervous about the size of Liberty (and, hence, the size of Oasis). I have chosen to set my expectations low just so they are exceeded by the actual experience.

Honestly, I am easily annoyed by others (hence my avatar) and usually more people=more agitation. I will keep an open mind, though, and not decide whether or not I will sail Oasis until I experience Liberty. I know I will have a great time, but I have a hunch I will still prefer the smaller ships.

Radiance Class is the highest I have sailed to date. I will be sailing on Liberty in 3 days, and though I am SO EXCITED (:D ), I also am prepared for some frustrations based upon what I've read:

-Ice skating rink: sounds cool, but again, have read that it is very crowded. Probably won't take advantage of this.

-gym: see above. Have read that it is packed after 7am, which is particularly annoying to a daily gym-goer.

I haven't been on the Liberty but did thoroughly enjoy the Explorer. The ice rink didn't seem particularly busy when I looked in on it. The ice show is SPECTACULAR!!! and not to be missed. Those are crowd-controlled by free tickets, so no problem there.

The gym never seemed that busy to me.

The lovely Royal Promenade is a delight, and the Promenade Cafe is a special place to eat (free). There was usually a nice sidewalk table available to enjoy people-watching. (And it's also a great place to grab a seat while waiting for disembarkation--eat and wait. Just get there early.:) )

Happy sails!

Since the Oasis is such a big floating Vegas-at-Sea or Disney-at-Sea, of sorts, with so much to do,and will certainly crowd small ports-of-call, maybe it will just sail around and around in a big circle and no one will feel a need to get off!!!HAHAHa

Archived