camp carnival 2 yo.

dnj1

I was just wondering how many 2 yo girls have gone to CC and were not happy. We will be taking DD2 to camp in August and I was just wondering what the odds were with her liking it. DD8 will be in camp too.(but different age group). DD8 has gone and loved it. I am worried about DD2. She is a daycare baby, so she is not under "mommmy" all the time. But of course...she can be clingy. I am wondering if they will give her time to warm-up to them, before they page us to pick her up. I think she will be okay...but at first I am sure she is going to cry quite a bit. What do you moms think??? Will DH and I get alone time?

Ok, I'm not a mom but rather a dad - but I can tell you about our experience with our 2 year old son. Our DS just turned 2 a few days before the cruise and he also goes to daycare (but not every day). I was concerned about whether he would like Camp Carnival as well as he is very cautious around new people. When we arrived the first time I asked if I could stay for a while for him to adjust. They told me I could only stay for 5 to 10 minutes. At first he was clingy but then I took him over to the toys and he started to play with a new toy and then I got up and left while he was distracted with the toy. I called 10 minutes later and they said he was doing great. He enjoyed Camp Carnival and never again complained about being dropped off. They only paged us 1 time and that was on the final day.

One thing I was worried about is that I was told there was no nap time in Camp Carnival, but in reality, if he was tired, they did have a mattress off to the side and he did take a nap every day.

Our son loved Camp Carnival, enjoyed walking around the ship, and loved going to the beach. The only thing he didn't like was the cabin. The cabin was small and he just didn't like any of the time he spent in it. It was hard keeping him from opening and closing drawers and cabinets and the bathroom door over and over. In fact, every time we went back to the cabin he would cry as soon as he knew we were going inside. I'm not sure what I would do different but bringing a few toys for the cabin would be a good idea.

Enjoy your cruise.

We had the opposite experience. We first took our DD to camp a few days after she turned two. She is also a daycare baby, has been going everyday since she was 4 months old. They told me I was not allowed to wait with her, I had to leave immediately. Needless to say she did not want to be just dropped off with strangers and cried until they called us to pick her up. I asked to speak to the supervisor and I was told it was upsetting to the other children to have me wait with my DD while she became adjusted and perhaps she just wasnt ready yet. We tried again later in the week and the same response. We sailed again a few months later and the same thing, told I wasnt allowed to stay more than 2 minutes and she cried again. DD is now 2.5 yrs so I am hoping this cruise we have coming up will be better. I hope they let me at least stay a bit to get her adjusted then she will be fine. I even wrote it on the comment cards, how disappointed I was. I could see if she was 6 but at age 2 come-on, they should at least let you stay to get them acclimated.

Just be prepared for anything. Your child may or may not want to be in camp. They do not tolerate crying for more than a few minutes.

Our first cruise, DD was 25 months old.

One thing I think really helps is to go to the camp meeting, and party in the disco, the first night, and even possibly the sundae making afterwards (often, my kids were just too tired). This gives your kids a chance to interact with the counselors and other kids while you're still with them.

Also, the first morning, there is 30 minutes before camp "officially" opens, that you can bring your kids to camp and stay with them. I've never done this, as I felt that once I introduced my kids to the idea that I could stay, they'd want me to stay all of the time - but that is just my kids. Obviously, this 30 minute period must be helpful to many children, or they wouldn't offer it.

The other thing we did was to couch camp in the terms of a treat, a reward for good behavior. As soon as it seemed as though they might not be allowed to go - all of a sudden it was the thing they wanted most! :p

We had the opposite experience. They do not tolerate crying for more than a few minutes.

So are you saying when DD cried, they paged you to pick her up. Could you bring her back later that day or that week?

Honestly, the WORST thing to do is to stay. I can say that now that I am a veteran mommy. But I see it on the first day of school every year. I see it at the cruise camps. If you stay, your child will be MORE upset when you leave.

You prepare the child by talking about "camp" or "school" with their "friends".

If you expect a bad experience...your child will sense that fear and will mimic your emotions.

I think Camp Carnival is the BEST prepared for young children. We had some problems with some other cruiselines. But for the young child, young mind...they can get their mind off of mommy/daddy.

I've had NO problems with Camp Carnival. My youngest was 2 when she started in Camp Carnival. Yet, my best friend who goes with us...she is not like me. She is VERY clingy to her kids. And they pick up on it. Heck, they were the only 6 and 7 year old crying for their mom every night. :rolleyes:

Instead of saying to the kids "You will have a great time and do all kinds of fun things"...she said "PLEASEEEEE go to camp and I will buy you something" :rolleyes: She set her kids up for failure and did a huge disservice to them.

Thanks for the responses.

DD cruised last year, but MIL was there to help. I agree it was hard to keep her still in the cabin. We did a lot of walking around.

This year it is just DH and I and DD is now 2. So I am hoping that she will take to CC. I will make sure that we take her to the orientation that night. It would really suck if they made us pick her up after her crying for a few minutes.

Does anyone else have experiences with "newly" 2 yo. in CC?

My dd was 2 yrs and 3 months when we cruised last summer on Carnival Glory. I agree with Cruisinmama...it's best to stay positive and then drop and run. We were given a beeper, and they did call us the first day because she was getting cranky...I was actually on my way there already because it was getting close to her normal lunchtime. By the 3rd day she was into a different routine, and we were never beeped again. She had so much fun that when we came home she was asking to go to camp, and told me she wouldn't cry. She still remembers some things about camp, and says she'd like to go back again when we ask.

My DD was 2 1/2 when we cruised last summer (and DS 4). All summer as we talked about the cruise I built up "Camp Carnival" to them. I had seen some capers and told them some of the activities they would get to do.

On the first night, after dinner and after the orientation meeting in the lounge, Camp Carnival opened up for us to bring the kids in to look around, play a bit and meet some of the counselors. We did this for about 1/2 hour and I think it helped them the next morning when we dropped them off.

I want to say they each fussed a bit each time we took them, but they were over it in a minute once inside.

Unfortunately our experience on the Inspiration and Liberty were both the same. She was exactly 2 yrs the first time and 2years 3 months the second time. They would call us within 2 minutes of our leaving her when she was crying. It wasnt even enough time to make it back to the lido deck or cabin before we would have to come and get her. They say they will call after 10 min of continuous crying but it was definitely more like 2-5 minutes. You can bring them back as many times as you would like to try again. We would wait a day and try again or try later in the afternoon the same day.

I did everything mentioned. We went to the orientation and kids welcome aboard party, I talked up camp carnival for weeks before we sailed about bubbles, fingerpainting, dancing, music, having fun with the kids but she still was very clingy once she realized we wouldnt be there with her. We even went there early but they refused to let us in until 9am and then made me leave right away. I think it was just a new environment and she is an only child, so no one to go with. I think it makes a big difference when there are siblings there with them. I know she would enjoy it if she felt comfortable there, Im just not sure how to get her comfortable since I tried all of the above.

This next cruise she will be 2 yrs 11 months so I am hoping she will be a little better able to handle the separation. I found the 2-5yr old staff very good but not very sensitive to upset two yr olds. I understand their reasoning for wanting to get a crying child out of there quickly before it upsets the other children but I think they could have been a little more accomodating. Its funny because on the Liberty we used the babysitting the first night and never got called. The next day we got called twice right after we dropped her off both times. I get the impression that when your paying for the service they will tolerate more crying but when its technically "free" they are less willing.

My daughter's first cruise was two weeks after she turned 2, and she loved Camp Carnival, or Camp Toys as she called it. She wanted to be in the camp every possible minute. I did try to prepare her before the cruise by searching for pictures of the ship and specifically of Camp Carnival on Webshots and showing the pics to my daughter with stories of what she'd be doing. She is not a daycare child, but she had no problem adjusting and no separation issues. I don't think she even looked back on the first day to wave goodbye to me. :)

We did get paged by the Camp Carnival staff twice on the cruise, once because my DD didn't want the staff to change her diaper and the other time because DD had been crying for 10 minutes and wasn't calming down. I think the crying was due to her being overtired as it was really tough to get her to nap on the trip.

I hope your experience with Camp Carnival is as positive as mine was.

I do agree in daily situations a quick drop off is the best way to go. That is our norm...so I will continue that when we cruise. Hopefully they will allow her a few minutes of crying time, before paging us. She really is a good baby and I think she will do well. I just can't help but wonder...what if, what if, what if...

The staff was wonderful with my twins, who had their first Camp Carnival experience the week after their 2nd birthday. I agree with Michelle that the Carnival staff is wonderful in this regard - clearly they're used to kids' anxiety and were very patient and loving with my girls, who wailed and wailed before settling down and having fun. (Where on Princess, I was beeped the moment someone started crying). One of my girls could not be consoled a few of the nights, so I would go and pick her up and then bring her back after she fell asleep. The other LOVED being at "the party" with the other kids.

Best,

Mia

My daughter's first cruise was two weeks after she turned 2, and she loved Camp Carnival, or Camp Toys as she called it. She wanted to be in the camp every possible minute. I did try to prepare her before the cruise by searching for pictures of the ship and specifically of Camp Carnival on Webshots and showing the pics to my daughter with stories of what she'd be doing. She is not a daycare child, but she had no problem adjusting and no separation issues. I don't think she even looked back on the first day to wave goodbye to me. :)

We did get paged by the Camp Carnival staff twice on the cruise, once because my DD didn't want the staff to change her diaper and the other time because DD had been crying for 10 minutes and wasn't calming down. I think the crying was due to her being overtired as it was really tough to get her to nap on the trip.

I hope your experience with Camp Carnival is as positive as mine was.

Thanks for the idea on showing her pictures from webshots. I will try that this time. Any other suggestions from anyone are appreciated. I know my DD would have a blast there if she would just become comfortable enough to stay.

It may also help to spend a little time with the specific counselors your child will be with.

Go to Orientation and sign your child up, then AFTER Orientation (when things have quieted down a bit) spend a few minutes introducing your child to the specific counselors they will have.

These counselors are announced at the beginning of Orientation.

The ice cream party is good for older kids, but it is so noisy that it is not a good time to meet the specific counselors one on one.

She should be fine. My DD was just 2 when we went and she did fine..she would fuss a bit but then she would get interested in what the teachers were doing that she didnt mind that we left. She did get extra clingy towards the end of the trip..but her naps and her whole schedule was off so that is to be expected.

Have a great cruise!!!

Tif

Thanks for the reply's

I am feeling a little more comfortable about her being able to stay in CC for a few hours. DH still has his doubts, but I keep telling him that most of you guys say 2 yo's do well. I do think that it is important to get the nap in. Her regular nap is noon, so that will be when the camp is closed which will be great. We will have a quick lunch and then down for nap.

We will for sure do the "build a buddy".

Anymore good info for a 2 you feel free to "shout it out."

cruisinmama: Is the Glory Camp capers the same as Conquest???

cruisinmama: Is the Glory Camp capers the same as Conquest???

Most activities are similiar fleetwide. They all have bubble dance parties. One may have a Dora pirate day. Another may have a blues clues day. But pretty much, for that age group, the activities are very similiar across the board.

Archived