Jeep or no jeep?

hottytoddy

We have heard how beautiful the east side of Cozumel is and would like to rent a jeep to see it. We also want to visit a beach and maybe shop, but only if time permits. My question is would it be worth it? I like the freedom of having a vehicle but don't know how much I need to rent one or just taxi over there and then find a beach. Suggestions?

We rented a Jeep this past October and absolutely loved it! The east side is beautiful, wild and unspoiled. There are several little beach bars over there, plus Coconuts, which is a must stop for the view and a margarita. We stopped at a couple of them, plus went to Punta Sur eco park, which was a wonderful side trip - saw the alligator in the lagoon, climbed to the top of the lighthouse, and walked along a beautiful, quiet beach. Not a lot of traffic or huge crowds on the east side, which is definitely a plus in our book. I liked the freedom of having our own car, rather than a taxi, we kinda just did what we wanted, stopped when we wanted. If you are wanting to swim, the east side currents are strong, and the shore is pretty rocky for most of it. However, Punta Sur has a great beach, plus there is Punta Morena and Chen Rio.

Hey knoxvillecruiser - we're in Knoxville, too! We rented our Jeep from Avis downtown - it wasn't right at the pier, but a block back from the square in the middle of downtown. It was just a little booth there on the street, but the lady was very nice and they pulled our Jeep up fairly quickly. It looked practically brand new. I think we paid a total of $60 or so, that was rental and the no deductible insurance (a must have, just in case). I reserved it ahead of time online, but there were several rental places right at the pier (whichever one you dock at, they both have them) and there were representatives motioning for people to see them about car rental. If you wait until you get there to rent a car, have some printouts with rate quotes -good for haggling. Check out cozumelinsider.com for more info on car rentals. Good luck and have a great cruise!

We did as mamajules. We rented a jeep once we got off the ship. We really enjoyed it. Watch out for street signs. They are in the strangest places. We came close to running a stop sign. Also the line to fillup was sort of long. Don't cut your time too short.

Thanks so much Jules and Suezyq50 for your replies! I'm a person that likes everything planned and to know where I'm going. I'm a little nervous about waiting until I show up, but if there are plenty available I guess that will be okay. I'm accustomed to having confirmation in hand ready to go at each port. Is driving there very scary? My husband has been a UPSer for 20 years so I feel like he can drive most anything anywhere, but he'll kill me if I get him into some crazy situation!:D Thanks again!

Leigh Ann

Archived