What to do in Kona?

okccruiser

Hi Everyone! I'm trying to determine what to do on our day in Kona. I'm thinking of making it a beach day but would be open to other things. Any suggestions on activites, places to go, or the best beach to visit?? Thanks for the help!

We've in Kona and didn't find many great beaches. Most were lava strewn so it was rocky. IMO. We're doing the Fairwinds II tour. It's a boat that takes you out to snorkel. It has steps into the water, a slide, snorkel stuff an viewing boxes. The one that leaves in the am serves a nice lunch too. The only downside is that you have to get a cab to get there.

• Administrators

We did the Fair Winds II trip (the cab ride is about $25 each way, including tip, and takes about 20 minutes barring traffic), and loved snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay.

Kona has lots of interesting choices, however. Captain Zodiac snorkeling is there, there's a public beach -- Kahalu'u -- with reportedly good snorkeling just a few miles down Ali'i Drive from the port, the Painted Church, the Place of Refuge, the marketplace, the shops, coffee farms, sportfishing, the seahorse farm, and so forth. Kona has a little something for everyone, but water activities are what Kona's probably best known for (it's also the home of the Ironman Triathlon).

I loved our visit to the seahorse farm. Here's a link to their site http://www.seahorse.com/

It was so cool when the we stuck our hands into the tank and the seahorses wrapped their tails around our fingers. You could feel the seahorses purring!!!

If you go out to the farm for a tour, you will have to scrub your hands and arms - up above your elbows - in order to get all of the suntan lotion off. In order to best protect the seahorses, you might want to not wear any suntan lotion until after you leave the farm. You will still have to scrub your arms, but it is just that much safer for the little guys.

There are only 5 seahorse farms in the world. This is a real unique opportunity.

Enjoy!

We LOVED Kona and wish we had the $$ to go back for a land vacation there. I did the Captain Zodiac excursion and had a wonderful time. A true adventure. We also rented a car from Thrifty at the King Kam Hotel and drove to the Painted Church which was very unique, and the Place of Refuge where there were many more people snorkeling. We saw huge turtles on the beach and in the water. The Wal-Mart has a view from the parking lot that has to be seen to be believed. You can buy Kona coffee at Wal-Mart for a reasonable price. We also ate a late lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe before turning the car in and tendering back to the ship. While I was snorkeling, my wife went shopping in the little shops by the pier. We packed a lot into this day, but really enjoyed it. This was our favorite port in all of Hawaii and I could move there very easily... if I could only find a job that would pay me to do little work and give me lots of time off to play!

If I were you, I'd get the book "Hawaii: Big Island Revealed" at the library or at Barnes & Noble. There are many great suggestions and directions to things to see. There is one for each island and they were invaluable on our trip. I have since loaned mine out several times and the opinions have been unanimous that they are THE definitive books on seeing Hawaii.

We did Captain Zodiac also...It was a blast.. They pick you up at the pier, and you are off for a exciting day. We had a great ride and wonderful snorkeling, They offer fresh fruit, cookies,cheese & crackers, soda and water also.We think it was one of our best days. After we got back to the pier we went to Quinns (pub style restaurant) just opposite the pier. (ask anyone they will tell you where it is)We had Fresh fish and chips, with cold brews. We really worked up an appetite, and a fresh fish sandwich really tasted great. There is a little beach where the ironman starts so we swam there for a bit, and then walked around and looked at the many different shops. It was a great day...Enjoy....

You mentioned Kona as a "Beach Day" and to some people that also means lying out on a preposterously gorgeous beach for quite a while doing as little as possible, with maybe some decent off-shore snorkeling tossed in.

If that's your idea, two of the best beaches in the state are a rental car ride north of Kona (yes, there is something of a hassle factor in car renting in Kona off a ship, but bear with me). Take the car and drive north about 30 miles to Hapuna Beach and/or the "Mauna Kea" beach. Both are insanely gorgeous - to me the latter is perhaps the loveliest beach in the state, but YRMV. They also have decent snorkeling on their edges.

"A Bay" is also nifty, but the sand is a bit coarser.

For food there is Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae, or up the hill in Waimea there are tons o' places.

Yes, this requires a bit more planning, but the results - if you're a gorgeous sandy Hawaiian Beach sort of person - will be worth it. (I mean, my gosh, just LOOK at that beach. http://www.konarentals.net/bmk.JPG)

If it's too much hassle renting the car, the snorkel trips to Kealakekua are great.

Thanks for all the great replies. I do have another question though. We were thinking about doing the excursion to Molokini while in Maui for some snorkeling, but everyone on here keeps recommending Captain Zodiac in Kona. I think we only want to do one snorkeling excursion, so which one is better? Any opinions? Thanks again!

One more quick question please...

Is there a beach within walking distance of the ship? We would like to avoid car rental (wrong side of the road!).

We have already booked the Molokini Snorkel trip in Maui, and a Kayaking trip in Kauai, so a day of pure R & R on the beach sounds lovely.

Thank you!

Sandra

Thanks for all the great replies. I do have another question though. We were thinking about doing the excursion to Molokini while in Maui for some snorkeling, but everyone on here keeps recommending Captain Zodiac in Kona. I think we only want to do one snorkeling excursion, so which one is better? Any opinions? Thanks again!

Molokini is a cool place to say you have been too, but I think the snorkeling in and around Kona is so much better! Many more turtles too!

Archived