my royal romance experience so far

sas80: that's the weird thing...i AM having it on the ship - both ceremony & reception in bermuda (didn't want the hassle of transporting everyone back & forth to the beach). i heard that there's 2 other weddings going on the same cruise...(which is also weird, because i was told they only have 2 weddings per cruise). so, maybe they need to outsource, because of time constraints :confused:? who knows? i guess i can ask, but its sorta pointless. thanks!

Well then, the food and set up will be handled thru RCCL. The good news is that you will have plenty of time to work with the on board group coordinator whom will probably give you the level of customer service that you are used to receiving from RCCL. This will be a refreshing change from having to deal with RR/TWE. Finally you will feel as if someone actually gives a darn about your day.

The actual wedding coordinators, the officiant, the DJ and any other service like this will be outsourced to people from Bermuda. My wedding coordinators didn really do anything...oh, except they ate and drank their way thru my food, booze while they chilled out and relaxed at a table during our reception! (I got refunded one of their fees after I complained)

But the food, set-up, photographer, and service people will be staff from on the ship. So at least you know what to expect there.

Catz that's too bad you couldn't get my date!! I don't think the other bride from my date is on here, I haven't heard from her. It would have been fun to chat.

So I asked RR about charging more for coordinators, and she totally didn't answer my question. I'll try to ask her again, at least to get confirmation of what they will actually be charging me. Keep you posted!

Emily

Catz that's too bad you couldn't get my date!! I don't think the other bride from my date is on here, I haven't heard from her. It would have been fun to chat.

So I asked RR about charging more for coordinators, and she totally didn't answer my question. I'll try to ask her again, at least to get confirmation of what they will actually be charging me. Keep you posted!

Emily

If I were you, I would ask to speak to a Supervisor or the head of the Royal Romance Dept. and get a straight forward explanation. Prices change, that's business, but the way it is handled is most important!! I feel for all of you and I think someone should explain to you what's going on. I doubt the coordinators can explain but the Managers should be able to. Just my two cents...please don't flame me! ;) Hope it all works out!

So, here's a little update for everyone...

I asked Angelica, who had contacted me about adding more people to my sparkling wine toast via email what our balance was for the wine we just added a couple days ago. She told me what I owed for that, then she said "plus $275 for each additional coordinator plus tax".

So just FYI to everyone it does appear that they've raised the rate considerably from the original $150 (I guess it varies by location), which they still have listed in the RR brochure online.

What a terrible way to do business. I feel lucky right now that I only have 75 guests, and not 150 like Jess! They sure do have you right where they want you.

I was thinking about this the other day... It just seems so weird to me that their "contract" contains a clause that basically invalidates itself.....

A "contract" is an agreement between two entities. It's an actual meeting of the minds. How can the terms of the "contract" be changed at the behest of the company without there being a clause that says that the other party is allowed to re evaluate the contract, once the terms have changed, and decide if they want to sign the new contract?

I was thinking about this the other day... It just seems so weird to me that their "contract" contains a clause that basically invalidates itself.....

A "contract" is an agreement between two entities. It's an actual meeting of the minds. How can the terms of the "contract" be changed at the behest of the company without there being a clause that says that the other party is allowed to re evaluate the contract, once the terms have changed, and decide if they want to sign the new contract?

Yeah I have commented about that before too. Makes no sense to me that there is a contract, yet it only "contracts" the customer to use their services. There is no agreement on the part of TWE. If they can change anything and everything about the entire wedding, (cost, location, time, etc.), than it does not protect the customer AT ALL! It only binds the customer to pay and go along with whatever TWE sets up, or else you lose your deposit. I know that the other woman who was upset with TWE was told to see an attorney about this one-sided contract TWE has, but I don't know if she ever did or not. Unfortunately I think people get so caught up in the excitement of wedding planning that they haphazardly sign anything, not reading it or realizing what they are doing!!:eek:

Yeah I have commented about that before too. Makes no sense to me that there is a contract, yet it only "contracts" the customer to use their services. There is no agreement on the part of TWE. If they can change anything and everything about the entire wedding, (cost, location, time, etc.), than it does not protect the customer AT ALL! It only binds the customer to pay and go along with whatever TWE sets up, or else you lose your deposit. I know that the other woman who was upset with TWE was told to see an attorney about this one-sided contract TWE has, but I don't know if she ever did or not. Unfortunately I think people get so caught up in the excitement of wedding planning that they haphazardly sign anything, not reading it or realizing what they are doing!!:eek:

I'm sure a lot of people feel as if I did - that they really had no choice BUT to go with TWE/RR. Unless you do your research you just dont know that there are multiple options available where you can avoid RR/TWE. I didn't know any better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!!

WOW! It sounds like there are huge problems with RR and it is starting to freak me out! I signed my contract back in January for a November 2008 wedding, we will be cruising out of Fort Lauderdale with the wedding on the beach in Key West, FL. But now after reading on here I am starting to get a little nervous and wonder if I should just cancel it and try to find someone else quick!

Is there ANYONE who has had a great wedding with them or a wedding with them in Key West, FL?

We are having a small group (25) cruise with us and really don't want to have a global meltdown with my mom on wedding day if stuff doesn't go well.

Thanks!

Unity

Hi All!!

WOW! It sounds like there are huge problems with RR and it is starting to freak me out! I signed my contract back in January for a November 2008 wedding, we will be cruising out of Fort Lauderdale with the wedding on the beach in Key West, FL. But now after reading on here I am starting to get a little nervous and wonder if I should just cancel it and try to find someone else quick!

Is there ANYONE who has had a great wedding with them or a wedding with them in Key West, FL?

We are having a small group (25) cruise with us and really don't want to have a global meltdown with my mom on wedding day if stuff doesn't go well.

Thanks!

Unity

You will find as many good reviews as bad on these boards. The people who've had the bad ones keep posting over and over so it seems that all you read is bad reviews. Just look on the threads for a review and you can sometimes tell whether it is good or bad. Good luck and I know the staff in Miami, Lauderdale and Key West are most excellent!

Hi All!!

Thanks!

Unity

You should only make decisions based on your own experiences with RR/TWE.

It's a crapshoot. If your planning is going well then I would not worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked Angelica, who had contacted me about adding more people to my sparkling wine toast via email what our balance was for the wine we just added a couple days ago. She told me what I owed for that, then she said "plus $275 for each additional coordinator plus tax".

So just FYI to everyone it does appear that they've raised the rate considerably from the original $150 (I guess it varies by location), which they still have listed in the RR brochure online.

What a terrible way to do business. I feel lucky right now that I only have 75 guests, and not 150 like Jess! They sure do have you right where they want you.

Here is some info. re: the coordinator price changes. All of the following ports still charge $150.00 per coordinator: Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Cabo San Lucas, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Galveston, San Pedro, Montego Bay, Nassau, Ochos Rios, Port Canaveral, San Juan, St. Thomas and Tampa. The rest of the ports not listed, the price has increased. RR/TWE will be changing their brochure again to reflect these price changes plus any others.

Hope this clears things up a little!

:eek: typical. they just gave me the flat rate & didn't add the candy-coated "plus tax" phrase. oh well, i guess its just different for every port, which is fine...but they should do a better job of explaining the price changes, so we won't be so surprised. sorry to hear that & thanks for the update! the BIG day is coming close...please post a review if you have the time...thanks!

unity: i have read both good & bad reviews on this board... & don't let it deter you from what you want to do, but just forewarn you if you have budget concerns. good luck!

I am getting married on our embarkation day in November (out of Miami). When my fiance and I booked and signed the contract through TWE in January, they not only had us fax over a handwritten invoice (US to THEM) telling them what we wanted to be charged for, but also a faxed copy of our Debit/Credit card, along with all of the paperwork of course. If that wasn't scary enough, we waited for a full week without the card being charged at all. I placed a call to them and they told me that their one lady that makes all of the transactions had been out and they were very busy and that they would charge our card (therefore confirming our reservation) in a couple of business days. We waited another 3 business days and my fiance placed another call. They agreed to charge our card the next day and he repeatedly asked for a "Bridal Receipt". Two days later we finally saw the charges go through on the bank website and waited for two more days without a receipt! We called back, AGAIN, and asked for a bridal receipt. They emailed it to us that afternoon.

Neither of us have spoken with them since. We don't want to. We are expecting the worst and I am nearly convinced that we wont actually be getting married. I fully expect there to be a problem with signing and mailing and re-signing and re-mailing the license applications.

They couldn't even CHARGE OUR CARD, how are they going to get this done correctly?! We're so convinced that it's not going to happen that we only invited 3 people to the wedding, one of which is a non-sailing guest. Because of our lack of guests we are not able to have any kind of a reception and I am bringing silk flowers because I don't trust that their provided arrangements wont make me cry.

I am literally DREADING calling them back. Especially so B/C when my fiance last called, TWE informed us that those first calls to them counted against the courtesy hour of planning. I can't wait to see what kinds of charges we're going to get hit with. :rolleyes:

I will keep everyone posted with my dealings. And who knows, I might actually be surprised by them. If they start redeeming themselves, I will be up on this board posting a retraction. Until then . . . *gulp* . . .

I am getting married on our embarkation day in November (out of Miami). When my fiance and I booked and signed the contract through TWE in January, they not only had us fax over a handwritten invoice (US to THEM) telling them what we wanted to be charged for, but also a faxed copy of our Debit/Credit card, along with all of the paperwork of course. If that wasn't scary enough, we waited for a full week without the card being charged at all. I placed a call to them and they told me that their one lady that makes all of the transactions had been out and they were very busy and that they would charge our card (therefore confirming our reservation) in a couple of business days. We waited another 3 business days and my fiance placed another call. They agreed to charge our card the next day and he repeatedly asked for a "Bridal Receipt". Two days later we finally saw the charges go through on the bank website and waited for two more days without a receipt! We called back, AGAIN, and asked for a bridal receipt. They emailed it to us that afternoon.

Neither of us have spoken with them since. We don't want to. We are expecting the worst and I am nearly convinced that we wont actually be getting married. I fully expect there to be a problem with signing and mailing and re-signing and re-mailing the license applications.

They couldn't even CHARGE OUR CARD, how are they going to get this done correctly?! We're so convinced that it's not going to happen that we only invited 3 people to the wedding, one of which is a non-sailing guest. Because of our lack of guests we are not able to have any kind of a reception and I am bringing silk flowers because I don't trust that their provided arrangements wont make me cry.

I am literally DREADING calling them back. Especially so B/C when my fiance last called, TWE informed us that those first calls to them counted against the courtesy hour of planning. I can't wait to see what kinds of charges we're going to get hit with. :rolleyes:

I will keep everyone posted with my dealings. And who knows, I might actually be surprised by them. If they start redeeming themselves, I will be up on this board posting a retraction. Until then . . . *gulp* . . .

Why not cancel with TWE and make other plans??? Either hire a WC and get married in Miami somewhere and then board the ship or get married at a port and hire a WC there. I believe TWE may keep some kind of deposit, but I would rather lose a few hundred dollars than be so worried about my wedding. You have other options!!!!

Sorry to hear that you've had a difficult time with them! It sounds like the initial process was not at all smooth. I will say that when we sent in our credit card information at the time of the reservation, the charge didn't go through for several days (close to a week). It's frustrating not having regular contact with them, but I'm sure it will work out in the end. We went months at a time without any contact with them and the "final call" was a total of 10 minutes, but they TWE got everything right on their end.

UGH! I feel for you! And then they have the NERVE to tell you that your calls regarding your debit card being charged are "going to come out of your courtesy hour" Unprofessional, uncaring, typical....:rolleyes:

I just wanted to add, before *anyone* jumps in and starts defending TWE - there is NO excuse for any company telling any client that the phone calls they make to the company, because they are concerned that their credit/debit card could become compromised, "count" against the services that the company is offering to the client.

NO EXCUSE!

It's tacky, unprofessional and was done in a retaliatory manner simply to make the customer "pay" for "bothering" them so much.

Yes, it is possible that TWE was insanely busy those few days/weeks that this person was calling - but that is BUSINESS!!!

You wont find a lawyer charging a client simply because the client wanted to call up and find out when they could render payment to the lawyer. Time allotted to services rendered should be FOR SERVICES RENDERED!

Completely unprofessional! Not surprising!

On a more positive note, because I don't want to leave you feeling even more stressed, most of the time the actual wedding will turn out perfectly fine.

There may be a few forgotten items, or something might not happen like you wanted it to, or a service might not be rendered the way you want it to BUT your guests wont notice and it wont affect the ceremony or reception overall.

RR/TWE can really suck to work with during the planning process but, if you are committed to staying with them your end result should be at least reasonable, if not better.

So, if you can breathe your way through the unprofessional-ness of the planning process, you should be okay.....

On a more positive note, because I don't want to leave you feeling even more stressed, most of the time the actual wedding will turn out perfectly fine.

There may be a few forgotten items, or something might not happen like you wanted it to, or a service might not be rendered the way you want it to BUT your guests wont notice and it wont affect the ceremony or reception overall.

RR/TWE can really suck to work with during the planning process but, if you are committed to staying with them your end result should be at least reasonable, if not better.

So, if you can breathe your way through the unprofessional-ness of the planning process, you should be okay.....

Oh boy, I really hope you're right . . .

And if does turn out to be ok, I will definitely post the positives - hopefully with some pictures, too! John says that the very worst case scenario is that we go and have a good long vacation and visit a courthouse when we get back. John's my rock. :)

I guess I still can't get over the unprofessionalism - the customer service we received was truly infuriating to us (I'm sure the venom shows, sorry!).

I really honestly wish it werent like this - I wonder why it is that all of these cruise lines go through TWE - there must be another competing company available. I would imagine that the cruise lines have had numerous complaints, wouldnt they think to drop TWE as a vendor?

Fingers crossed though, I will have to contact them shortly anyways - maybe it will all improve. I will definitely keep posting. :)

And thank you for your ears, figuratively speaking ;), I appreciate all of the positive support!

Gerbilfur - Have you heard from or talked to RR/TWE? Are things going a little better? Please try not to worry. I promise you that your wedding will happen and I bet you will be happy with the results! The W/C's in Miami are awesome and I know alot of them. I'll tell them to treat you extra special! ;) Keeping my fingers crossed for you!! Let me know if I can help at all.

Hi RCCL Brides! I am 4 weeks away and so excited. I'm getting married in Stonehole Bay in Bermuda September 9th via the Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne NJ (Sept 5th sailing). Luckily my parents own a travel agency and my mom is a destination wedding specialist so everything has gone extremely smoothly and I'm looking forward to a stress-free trip...which has a lot to do with why I wanted to get married this way.

Congratulations to all and I am praying for great weather every night!

We're planning on getting married in Bermuda leaving out of Bayonne on the Explorer in August '09. We've been working with a great TA and hired a WP in Bermuda. So far, we're stress-free too! We already have 50 guests booked on the cruise and know of at least 20 more who'll be joining us. I'm so excited!:D

I'm wondering why you chose Stonehole Bay and where exactly you'll be getting married. What are you doing for your reception? We've been going around and around, especially on the reception, but want to make a decision within the next few weeks.

Gerbilfur - Have you heard from or talked to RR/TWE? Are things going a little better? Please try not to worry. I promise you that your wedding will happen and I bet you will be happy with the results! The W/C's in Miami are awesome and I know alot of them. I'll tell them to treat you extra special! ;) Keeping my fingers crossed for you!! Let me know if I can help at all.

Hello hollidaygal! Thank you for the concern!

I received a call and email from Christine & Johanne from TWE just this past Thursday (!) asking that I contact them. I called and got patched through to Christine. Retrospectively, I actually feel horrible because the conversation got off to a bad start:

Christine: "Are you excited about your upcoming wedding on the Liberty of the Seas?"

Me: "No."

Christine: "No?!"

Me: "No. I'm really not."

But, she remained very pleasant and it was apparent to me that she was trying incredibly hard to find a way to make some sort of plans with me. I know that she was attempting to get an idea of what I wanted and it must have seemed like I was being difficult - but honestly, I have settled with simplicity. "Flowers?" "Reception?" "Favors?" "Salon?" --- "No, no thank you." I had to have sounded like a broken record, but she remained extremely patient and pleasant, gave me a run-down of the approximate time frames and also asked what time/location I would find ideal for the ceremony. By the end of the call, I actually felt better about everything. I thought - "Wow, that wasn't bad at all!"

Christine also gave me options/prices in case I decided to chose any extras and she did give me a tidbit of info that I want to share: As of September 15th, many of their prices will be going up 10-30%. Christine stressed to me that if I wanted anything at all, to have it ordered by that date in order to avoid extra charges. (OMG! SHE'S TRYING TO SAVE ME MONEY!) Mega brownie points!

I had a hard beginning, but hollidaygal, you are right about not worrying. I want to thank you so much for offering to help out and sending good luck - it means so much! :D

Okay, so I am reading on here about how the little "extra charges" are racking up for some people. I am a little confused. When I booked my wedding for January 09 this past June no one mentioned additional charges except for the attire rental, flower upgrades, etc. While I am okay with not calling them until closer to wedding time and asking all the questions I have in bundles (I started a list) I am not okay with them charging me for the time used when I call. That is ridiculous if it really occurred. I am having a rather small wedding, but how do I ensure I do not get hit with these fees in the end. The whole reason for a embarkation day wedding was it was more cost friendly for us than a traditional "at home" wedding. If it helps were leaving out of Ft Lauderdale, and I have not heard from anyone at TWE since paying for my wedding and submitting the contract. I did call Carnival to confirm receipt.

Okay, so I am reading on here about how the little "extra charges" are racking up for some people. I am a little confused. When I booked my wedding for January 09 this past June no one mentioned additional charges except for the attire rental, flower upgrades, etc. While I am okay with not calling them until closer to wedding time and asking all the questions I have in bundles (I started a list) I am not okay with them charging me for the time used when I call. That is ridiculous if it really occurred. I am having a rather small wedding, but how do I ensure I do not get hit with these fees in the end. The whole reason for a embarkation day wedding was it was more cost friendly for us than a traditional "at home" wedding. If it helps were leaving out of Ft Lauderdale, and I have not heard from anyone at TWE since paying for my wedding and submitting the contract. I did call Carnival to confirm receipt.

Royal Romance (Royal Caribbean weddings) only allows you so much "planning time." Additional time is extra. I'm not really sure how it works--I got married on Princess and they didn't have any limit on contacts/time. I'm not sure if Carnival does (I think I've only heard of it for Royal Caribbean).

I did exactly what you mentioned--waited until I had several questions and contacted them with all of them. This worked well (e-mail was good for this). Honestly, if I hadn't contacted them with questions (and had submitted all my license information on time), I doubt I would have had much contact with them at all until my final call (2 -3 weeks prior).

Archived