Tundra Wilderness Tour question

kirby1200

Is the Princess version of the TWT the same as what anyone could book on their own through the park? The park reservationist couldn't answer this.

According to the park reservationist, the tour is 6-8 hrs, serves a box snack/lunch and goes to Tolkat River.

I asked a park reservationist AND the person at Princess, and neither of them could tell me if these were the same.

Lisa

Is the Princess version of the TWT the same as what anyone could book on their own through the park? The park reservationist couldn't answer this.

According to the park reservationist, the tour is 6-8 hrs, serves a box snack/lunch and goes to Tolkat River.

I asked a park reservationist AND the person at Princess, and neither of them could tell me if these were the same.

Yes, they are the same. I took it last week and it was great regardless of what some may think. The buses were actually going past the Tolkat area to mile 62. We had a great guide (Clay Walker). I asked why didn't they didn't have this type of tour all the way to Wonder Lake and he said it would just be too long. I definitely agree...8 hours was just about enough for us. Great tour with lots of information and he stopped (sometimes backed up) just so we could get a good view of animals and Mt. McKinley as it was out the morning we were there. :)

The answers above are almost, but not quite, correct. It is the same tour whether you book with your cruise line or directly with Aramark/Park Service. However, if you are on a cruise tour with Princess (or, for that matter, HAL), there will be a bus for your tour group that will pick you up at your hotel. Otherwise, you may have to take a shuttle to get to the start of the tour.

BTW, we took the Kantishna Wilderness Tour, not the TWT. This is a tour all the way to the end of the park road, through Doyon tours, the Native group that also owns the Kantishna Roadhouse and the Denali River Cabins. It was 13 hours, including a 2 hour stop at the Kantishna Roadhouse for lunch and one's choice of gold panning or a dog sled demo. Because of the stop in Kantishna, it did not seem too long for us, especially since the bus was the same size as for the TWT but with 10 fewer PAX. However, if you're on a cruise tour, you probably won't have time for a 13 hour tour. The price, including lunch, was not much more than for the TWT.

The answers above are almost, but not quite, correct. It is the same tour whether you book with your cruise line or directly with Aramark/Park Service. However, if you are on a cruise tour with Princess (or, for that matter, HAL), there will be a bus for your tour group that will pick you up at your hotel. Otherwise, you may have to take a shuttle to get to the start of the tour.

BTW, we took the Kantishna Wilderness Tour, not the TWT. This is a tour all the way to the end of the park road, through Doyon tours, the Native group that also owns the Kantishna Roadhouse and the Denali River Cabins. It was 13 hours, including a 2 hour stop at the Kantishna Roadhouse for lunch and one's choice of gold panning or a dog sled demo. Because of the stop in Kantishna, it did not seem too long for us, especially since the bus was the same size as for the TWT but with 10 fewer PAX. However, if you're on a cruise tour, you probably won't have time for a 13 hour tour. The price, including lunch, was not much more than for the TWT.

The answers quoted above are almost, but not quite, correct. You will not have to take a shuttle to start the tour if you are staying at the Denali Princess Lodge or the McKinley Chalet. The TWT bus picks up at both locations.

GMoney and Comingaboard,

I'm going to make the tour change today. Yes, we'll be at the Denali Princess Lodge, and knowing the TWT bus will make a stop there makes me feel better.

Thanks to you and everyone on CC, I'm learning so much!!!

Archived