how difficult to add a 3rd person at last minute?

I have an odd (I think) situation here. We have several cabins booked for a September cruise. One of the girls has a sick dad, and he was given only months to live. We all know that months can turn into a year, or turn into only weeks. She checked into getting insurance for herself, but could only purchase it for the entire cabin, of which she is a 3rd passenger. If something were to happen, she wants to only cancel herself, not the rest of the cabin.

My question is, if she were to cancel before any penalty, how difficult would it be to get back into that cabin a week or so before the sailing date? Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks,

triples are hard to come by, if she has to cancel just try to do it without switching rooms, I have been in plenty of 3 or 4 with just the two of us so it is allowed. You can also replace her in the room last minute I believe up to 48 hours before.

The experts can help you...but I think it's no problem canceling. IF she books again back into the cabin, she'll be paying the current rate of the cabin, not what she paid before.

Hopefully she'll be able to cruise.

If she cancels and it is covered by the insurance, she will be reimbursed for the 3rd person charge. The other two will still be in that cabin. Even if it is not covered by the insurance, she will loose whatever the penalty is for canceling at that time and the other two will also still be in that cabin.:)

Ships have a maximum capacity which is less than the number of berths onboard the ship. So if she cancels now, and then tries to get added back later, she may not be able to if the ship has reached maximum capacity - even if the group has a room with a 3rd bunk available.

Could she possibly have someone on standby to take her place if she can't go last minute? You can change out the name of someone on a reservation up until a few days before a cruise. That would be better than cancelling now and trying to add her back at the last minute.

When I travel with my friend, she purchases insurance and I do not. She has been told by RCI that she can buy their insurance as long as we're not in a group (some RCI customer service agents do not know that). If you are booked as a group, then, although she cannot purchase RCI's insurance, she could purchase it through a third party provider. Check out www.insuremytrip.com. Because her father has already been diagnosed, she may not be able to get coverage for his pre-existing condition, but she may be able to find "cancel for any reason" coverage. She should read all the fine print carefully.

Good luck to her and her dad!

Archived