Seattle Westin or Sheraton Downtown or Sheraton Waterfront for 2 nights after cruise?

rickdeni

We will be getting off the Star on August 31st (Labor Day weekend) and would like to stay downtown 2 nights to see the Needle and the Market. Which hotel would you recommend as the prices are similar except for the Sheraton Waterfront which is higher. Also, does anyone know if the Needle and Market will be open on Labor Day?

We stayed at the Sheraton Downtown last year. Very nice hotel and very well located. Within walking distance to the market, monorail, shopping and a variety of restaurants...

Got a good deal through priceline (I thought anyway). Somewhere around 125.00 a night..

We will be getting off the Star on August 31st (Labor Day weekend) and would like to stay downtown 2 nights to see the Needle and the Market. Which hotel would you recommend as the prices are similar except for the Sheraton Waterfront which is higher. Also, does anyone know if the Needle and Market will be open on Labor Day?

First of all, the Sheraton is NOT on the waterfront. The Sheraton and the Westin are about four blocks apart in central downtown. Could you be thinking of the Marriott Waterfront, which is directly across the street from Pier 66?

Prices are comparable for all three hotels for that weekend, since it is a holiday weekend.....about $300.00 per night for two, plus 12+% hotel taxes. The Space Needle and the Market will both be open on the Labor Day weekend, but you also need to know that Bumbershoot will be going on that weekend as well, so Seattle Center will be extremely crowded from Friday morning to Monday night....expect in the thousands to be there at any one given time, and plan for appropriate delays.

If pricing is the same, I would stay at the Marriott Waterfront over the Seattle Sheraton. Both are good hotels with excellent staff and comfortable beds, but the Sheraton was a little busier and frenetic than the Marriott. If the Marriott is higher priced than the Sheraton, then I would stay at the Sheraton.

Either way both are good hotels and I was very pleased with my stays there last month.

FYI Bumbershoot is an enormous arts/music festival held on the grounds of Seattle Center. Annual attendance is around 200,000 (over 3 days). www.bumbershoot.org.

On the other hand, the Mariners will be on the road that weekend, saving you from getting swept up in pennant fever. (Ha ha, that's a joke.)

And a bad one at that (joke that is)......:D .

Has anyone stayed at the Westin? Yes, I made the mistake of the Marriott Waterfront being the correct hotel as opposed the Sheraton Waterfront.

I live in Chicago so the humor of the pennant race is not lost on me. I am a Sox fan but I do feel sorry for the Cubs and hope the best for them. I am ununusual in Chicago as I wish both teams good luck - my husband and son do not agree -- all they know is "Go Sox"

Bump! Has anyone stayed at the Westin?
Yes; we haven't stayed there for quite a while (as we live here) but many business colleagues stay there - quite frequently.

It's a fine hotel, one of the best in town. The Clintons are especially fond of it, as are other current and former heads of state. Your room might not be quite as nice.

It's in the middle of the retail core, close to everything.

Yes, we've stayed there a few times and liked it. There is good shopping nearby and it has easy access to the freeway and attractions such as Pike Place Market. We liked it when we had Sonics tickets, but sadly, I guess the Sonics are gone.

Viv

Yes, we've stayed there a few times and liked it. There is good shopping nearby and it has easy access to the freeway and attractions such as Pike Place Market. We liked it when we had Sonics tickets, but sadly, I guess the Sonics are gone.

Viv

Viv: Don't give up yet. The trial isn't over and I think the city proved their case while all the Okies proved is that they never had any intention of keeping the team here, and that they lie more easily than they tell the truth. We should have at least two more years to let Howard Schultz win his litigation. Keep the faith.......:D

That's good news. Thanks for the update. We have always been devoted Raptors fans until we moved West, so you know we don't even need a winning team, ;) just a good game every now and then!

Viv

The way that last year went, I'm not supposing that the Sonics will be winning much any time soon, but I sure love the looks of Kevin Durant and Jeff Green...

Sailing on the Star Princess 9/7/2008. Have a reservation for 1 night pre-cruise at the Marriott.

Question: How far is it from the Marriott to the pier that Princess uses? Is it within walking distance??...........Karen

Sailing on the Star Princess 9/7/2008. Have a reservation for 1 night pre-cruise at the Marriott.

Question: How far is it from the Marriott to the pier that Princess uses? Is it within walking distance??...........Karen

If you don't mind lugging your luggage about 3 miles through an industrial area, you COULD walk, but I don't recommend it.

Archived