Mayan Temple Ruin Steps?

fabuloso

I've noticed that several of the ruins allow you to walk up to the top of the temples. How hard are the steps to negotiate? Going up and down?

Any information would be appreciated. I'm with a group that ranges in ages 18-to mid 70's.

I've had the oppertunity to climb both Coba (Mexico) and Xunantunich(Belize). Xunantunicih is a moderate climb without any climbing aids. Lamiani (Belize) has a rope to assit in the climb. The steps are spaced anywhere between 8" to over 12" high. The incline on the ruins that have a rope as a climbing aid are step but if you take your time you will be ok, I've seen many people do a butt hop coming down because angle. No matter how you look at it I would consider it as a once in a lifetime experience.

If you take your time and not in a hurry you will be ok. Its funny watching people try to race up and when they get half way they are out of gas. Slow steady pace and before you know it you will be above the tree tops. The thing to remember is leave your packs at the bottom and take water as you will need it. The view from atop the temples are fantastic and you are where once a mighty civilization once lived. Truly a one in a life time experience then you can hop down should your legs be tired. At some of the ruins there is a rope down the center to you will have people using it going up and down at the same time. Most of the ruins are roughly 125ft tall at nearly a 50+ degree angle.

When we came down the steps of the High Temple in Lamanai I went down sideways one leg at a time. The other leg/thigh hurt for three days it was so sore.

Believe me there were all kinds of ways people were going up and down. Whatever worked seemed to be okay.

I had looked forward to climbing those temples at Lamanai for a long time, and my body cooperated just fine, lol.

The rope helped a lot, and sometimes I used it and sometimes it didn't -- scrambling up straight on was easy (well, at least not frightening visually because you weren't looking down). :eek:

Coming down I used the rope and faced in toward the temple, not really looking down, and I preferred the side by side step rather than the butt bump, which faces outward. :D

Sounds similar to the various descent techniques at Chichen Itza - I was hoping this would be less 'traumatic' - but I am willing to go for it - I agree another 'once in a lifetime experience' not to be missed!

We did the Altun Hun Mayan Temples in Belize.

My son climbed the stairs to the altar. He said it wasn't easy and he's 23.

I stayed on the ground.

My advice here is stay out of the shade because there are bothersome bugs. It is also hot; takes lots of water.

Enjoy!

Oh. We used an independent tour guide by the name of Rose's Travel Guide. Rose was our guide in a van made for 6 people. IT was just the two of us and Rose. She was a very good guide telling us all about what we were seeing on the 45 minute ride to the temple. She stopped so we could buy water and she was willing to stop anywhere along the way.

The whole tour took about 3 hours and she was very good about keeping track of time (because I was worried about missing the ship). She had us back an hour before sailing and pointed us to the good deals from the vendors.

We found her outside the "fence." We walked through a large jewelry store (Diamonds Internationl?). A guard was at the other end letting people in and out through the fence.

The cost was $40 each and we tipped her $20.

She was the perfect guide. WE felt very safe.

Archived