Have 2 bincolars/want 2 more - what do you suggest?

buttah75

I recently purchased two pair of 8x42 Zen-ray Vista's, which seem great. However, there are four of us (2 teens), and I'm suddenly thinking I should really get two more.

The question is what? Two smaller/more compact ones? Wide angle? Something else? What do you think? The Zen-ray Vistas and Summits are sold out until after our August cruise, so it can't be more of those. Also, will there be any in our Princess mini-suite?

Since the Z-R are sold out, a good option is Vixen http://www.vixenamerica.com/StartPage/ I've replied to several other threads in the past few days so look for the pros/cons (my opinion, of course) in those threads.

Wide angle tend to have distortion that can literally make people feel nauseous. It takes a pretty expensive pair to be free of the problem. Stay away from zooms, too.

The question only you can answer is the quality and longevity you want from the two additional pairs...also how careful your teens will be.

Since you have some full size binoculars, I would think compact ones might be a good option. For example, Nikon Travelite 8x25 or Olympus Tracker 8x25. Because of their relatively small lens size, I would not go beyond 8x.

Over the weekend, a friend of mine showed me an excellent technique to reduce handshaking. It is simple enough and it works (for me at least). Basically, try to avoid holding binoculars with just one hand. When you hold binoculars with both hands, try to interlock your fingers from both hands to each other on top of the binocular body. In the meantime, try to touch your thumbs together at the bottom of the binocular body. This way, you can form a rigid platform to use binoculars. Give it a try.

Archived