Food options

TonyJ

Hello all,

We're sailing on the Wonder in July (this will be my second cruise, first being the Caribbean Princess last week.

Can someone give me the scoop on getting food outside the main dining rooms ? Especially in the evening ?

Is room service free 24/7 (the Disney site only states that it's 'complimentary' at breakfast and only continental unless your cat 1 - 3) Is that really the way it's done on Disney ?

Also, what kind of buffet/snack options do they have in the evening ?

I know they have pizza and hot dogs during the day, but what can we expect to be available after the show in the evening ?

I see the soda and soft serve are free on Disney, that's cool.

Ice cream was a pay item on Princess outside of the dining room and some special offerings..I don't know about the kids, but I'm happy with ice cream.;)

We cruised on the Disney Wonder last May. Pizza, chicken fingers and fries, fresh fruit and ice cream were available on deck...but for our sailing, those places were only open until 8:00 pm. I believe the ice cream closed even earlier than that. The dining room is your ONLY option for dinner besides the chicken fingers/hot dogs...they do not offer a buffet at night on the Wonder. (one of our complaints)

Room service was excellent, but limited. The "all hands on deck" cheese tray is excellent. Other options from room service were pizza, soup, PBJ sandwich, chicken fingers, cookies and good desserts. You can get that 24/7.

On Disney, we found that you definitely pay for the "experience and entertainment" that Disney is known for...The food is NOT the big draw. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't even worry about the food. You won't be able to keep up with it! Light breakfast can be ordered from room service or you can have a buffet at Topsiders, Parrot Cay or a sit down breakfast at Tritons. At lunch you can have room service sandwiches, buffet at Topsiders or Parrot Cay and a sit down at Tritons. Dinner can be at your rotation, Palo (adult only), or Topsiders buffet. In between you can get hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken fingers, pizza, ice cream, wraps, french fries, and probably a few things I'm forgetting about. Oh, and don't forget the midnight buffet. Try the strawberry crepes... they were my favorite. Oh, and Palo brunch is A MUST!!!!

B.T.W, how was the cruise that you just got back from? I was interested in trying the Caribbean Princess.

B.T.W, how was the cruise that you just got back from? I was interested in trying the Caribbean Princess.

Oh, my....it was great.

We went without the kids (never happened before and may never again) so I can't speak for the childrens program, although they do have one.

But for 'adult' stuff, it's a great time.

I wouldn't know where to start.

If you have a specific question go ahead and fire away.

I figure I won't starve on Disney, but from what I'm gathering they don't have as many options as other cruise lines do in the evening. I guess the ship pretty much shuts down after the shows since half the passengers are children, so it's understandable to a degree.

The funny thing is, I have family members who go regularly and they can't even tell me about evening snacks because they're so stuffed by the point it's not an issue. :D

Our family is big on the 'evening snack' though, so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks everone who responded and like I said, fire away with any Princess questions.

In the "adult club" area, on our 3 night, they had hot snacks and stuff (like little quiches, mini-desserts etc) for about 45 minutes or so, maybe around 10:30? They weren't that substantial, and didn't last very long, but it's an option other than room service:)

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone give me the scoop on getting food outside the main dining rooms ? Especially in the evening ?

You can eat at Topsider's Buffet, Pinochios Pizza or Pluto's Dog House.

Is room service free 24/7 (the Disney site only states that it's 'complimentary' at breakfast and only continental unless your cat 1 - 3) Is that really the way it's done on Disney ?

Yes, room service is free 24/7 with the exception of snack foods, like candy, soda, etc. I call them munchies. We ordered milk, coffee, & cookies at 10:30pm and were not charged. The way they word it is a bit confusing, Go by this sentence "While on board, you can order room service 24 hours a day." The rest of what they are trying to say is that anyone can get continental breakfast from 7-10am. If you're in a cat 1-3, you can get full breakfast.

I know they have pizza and hot dogs during the day, but what can we expect to be available after the show in the evening ?

No hot dogs ever, at least what I saw, mostly only pizza & hamburgers, fries, etc. Sometimes they have midnight buffets with a lot of desserts and some food. They also have snacks near the adults only clubs and the promenade lounge from 11-12pm. If you go to http://www.disneycruiser.com they have navigators from past cruises posted that show you what MIGHT be on your cruise.

I see the soda and soft serve are free on Disney, that's cool.

Ice cream was a pay item on Princess outside of the dining room and some special offerings..I don't know about the kids, but I'm happy with ice cream.;)

Soda is free at the beverage station and in the restaurants. At the bars/lounges, you do have to pay for soda. Ice Cream is soft serve at Scoops. You can also get fresh fruit there, too. They are now open later to include the hours from 9-11pm.

One guide book I highly recommend is the DCL Passporter. A very valuable tool.

HTH,

Jen H.

Maine, USA

No hot dogs ever, at least what I saw, mostly only pizza & hamburgers, fries, etc.

Actually Pluto's does have hot dogs. DH and I got plates of hot dogs and fries wrapped up, so we could eat in the main theater while watching a movie. :)

We never looked for food in the evening, were stuffed after dinner. The chicken fingers at the pool are the best.

The ship does not shut down after dinner, the kids camp is open till 1am to watch the kids while the adults enjoy all the adult entertainment. There is lots to do after the main shows.

Palo's is great and rotating to the dining rooms is unique to DCL.

Have fun and enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

can you not get the disney experience at the hotels and theme parks? character dinners, breakfasts, movies, etc? the food being mentioned is chicken fingers, fries, pizza? are you kidding? who can eat this if you get hungry between meals? what if you sleep late and can't make the dining room? the buffet sounds horrible. continental breakfast in room except for category 1-3? i've heard nothing about exotic salads, pastas, vegetable dishes? this is what we've come to expect on every other cruise line we've sailed with. our daughter doesn't like regular kid garbage. she loves caesar salads with penne pasta and steamed vegetables. peanut butter and jelly? on rccl, regardless of your category, you can order practically anything from the dining room right into your stateroom. and there's also in room babysitting so you child can fall asleep in your room and you don't have to carry him or her back to your cabin. can someone experienced with dis and other cruise lines please elaborate.

Archived