Alaska - Suite or Ports?

mariakitty

I am planning our next cruise for late August 2009 for our 10th wedding anniversary. I want this cruise to be special, and though we have been to Alaska before on NCL, we want to go to Alaska again because it would mean little to no air travel. We are going for rest and relaxation...and the food!

We are willing to splurge a bit, but with raising two little boys (who are not going), we are a bit price sensitive. Would our money be better spent getting a full suite on the Star or Golden doing the Seattle RT or get a mini-suite on the Diamond or Sapphire with the Vancouver-Whittier itinerary? I guess my real question is whether the extra port of Whittier is worth more than a full suite. Doing a one-way means added cost of airfare to get back to Vancouver, however we have done a similar Seattle RT itinerary before.

Any advice from all of your experienced Alaskan Princess cruisers would be appreciated!

Maria

I agree with the above poster. Whittier is not much of a town, in fact not at all but the glacier viewing of College Fjord and Glacer Bay National park is outstanding. You mentioned the Diamond and Sapphire but also consider the Coral and the Island ships. They also do the one ways along with the Sapphire and the Diamond. I love the size of the Coral ships(1950 passengers) where as Diamond/Sapphire has 2600. it is up to you though.

Marilyn

Thank you! I thought I might be missing something just by reading the itineraries. My husband definitely wants to see as much scenery as possible, so he is going to be very pleased with your resonses. :)

We will definitely consider the Coral or Island. My mother has been on the Coral and loved it, and we have already been on the Diamond so it would be nice to try a different ship. Between the Coral and Island, which has the better (larger) balconies? We definitely want a nice balcony for Alaska.

Thanks!!

Maria

Coral and Island are sister ships - they have identical cabin/balcony layouts.

You can't go wrong with the Coral/Island or the Sapphire/Diamond, so have a wonderful cruise.

Whittier itself is really "nothing" but there is an excursion first thing in the morning, which is a crusie to Blackstone Glacier - more scenery. We took that trip last year and really enjoyed it. So, if you can get the later transfer to Anchorage, if you are headed northboung, it is something to consider.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived