Help with choosing a cruise line

Seaworthy1118

My husband, 5 year old daughter, and I are planning a Caribbean cruise for next year. Our only cruise experience is a Western Caribbean cruise on Maasdam - Holland America in 2000 (before our daughter), and we absolutely loved it. The only thing that I can remember ever complaining about at all was long lines. Due to the school schedule, we are limited to what we can choose, but I am having such a hard time deciding what is best for us. Disney would be wonderful for our daughter but the cost is so much more than Holland America or Royal Caribbean.

What we want from a cruise is relaxation, beach time, well controlled crowd levels (getting people through lines quickly), a verandah that is private, a cruise that will be enjoyed by a 5 year old, and most importantly, a safe trip.

We did find an Eastern Caribbean cruise that met the school break schedule but then read that the seas tend on the Eastern cruises to be rougher, and I don't know how well children tolerate cruising (motion sickness).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Well are you looking for that same adult type of experience, then go with HAL. Yes they have a kids program but their ships don't have as many kid friendly ammenities as the Voyager/Freedom class ships that RCCL has.

If you are looking for a ship that will WOW the kids, then stick with RCCL Voyager/Freedom class.

Disney is nice for what it is. We'll be doing Disney again in September. So I am sure I will have more about it later. But my kids still prefer RCCL (at this point)

If you want to look at some of the schedules and pictures from the ships, you can go to my links. I don't have any HAL pages because frankly, no one has done it with kids and sent them to me (will be happy to get them though)

Kid's Activity schedules for different cruiselines are posted here...

http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

My Cruising with Children blog...

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/

progress.gif

Thank you so much for your help! :)

I believe we do have it narrowed down between Holland America and Royal Caribbean. I really appreciate you giving advice on which ships. Now I can go back to my catalogues and look at them with more knowledge! It sounds like RCCL has great service and gives a great cruising experience.

Again, thank you so much for responding! I appreciate it very much!

Sandy

The roughest seas I've experienced cruising have been in the Gulf of Mexico and on the West Coast, so I wouldn't base your choice on that. With the size of the ships now and the stabilizers and all that, you have to have really rough seas to affect most people. As it's your daughter's first cruise, though, I would recommend speaking to her physician about recommendations for her 'just in case'. Our daughter's first cruise was when she was eight and she was fine, while the friend she met in our roll call was ill a few times (she was 9 at the time).

Keep in mind, also, that if a person is going to experience motion sickness, a cruise isn't the only place it will happen. Car trips are an excellent indicator of how well someone tolerates motion. If she's never experienced discomfort in other common situations, she'll probably be fine even if you do have some big waves.

As for choosing the line, I always recommend that you go by time, itinerary, and price. Find the one that is going to take you where you want to go, when you want to go, and for a price you're happy with. I've never been on a 'bad' cruise, and these days, all the lines are making great strides towards providing a truly family friendly experience.

If your choice is between HAL and RCCL, I can't imagine getting a better opinion than that of Cruisinmama. She's got the experience and knows all about cruising with kids. :)

If your choice is between HAL and RCCL, I can't imagine getting a better opinion than that of Cruisinmama. She's got the experience and knows all about cruising with kids. :)

Awww thanks.:o :D

And Seaworthy -I agree 100% with Wrona and Canadian - I have had rougher seas on Western Cruises than Eastern.

Kids are really resilient during rough seas. That's how they can spin round in round in circles and just laugh at getting dizzy...something that would make an adult green. I wouldn't worry too much about the 5 year old getting sick.

With that being said, it seems like sailings out of New york/New Jersey can be a little rough certain times of year. Don't know which port you are going out of.

What was it about RCCL that made it so memorable for your kids? Did your kids go on HAL? I am almost convinced that RCCL is the best choice. Do they have the flight/cruise combination like HAL?

One thing that really made an impression on my husband and me was arriving at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale without worrying about our luggage, arriving at HAL via their bus, and walking into a nice air conditioned room to wait to be called to board - then looking over next door and seeing a long line of people carrying their luggage standing outside in 90 degree weather - not looking happy - waiting (not HAL). We were so thankful we weren't them! Hopefully, that has changed in eight years for that cruiseline. Oh, and our luggage was waiting for us in our room!

It is the little attention to detail that makes vacations so memorable! However, I'm sure we will have fun no matter what we decide!

Thank you! :)

Sandy

What was it about RCCL that made it so memorable for your kids? Did your kids go on HAL? I am almost convinced that RCCL is the best choice. Do they have the flight/cruise combination like HAL?

One thing that really made an impression on my husband and me was arriving at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale without worrying about our luggage, arriving at HAL via their bus, and walking into a nice air conditioned room to wait to be called to board - then looking over next door and seeing a long line of people carrying their luggage standing outside in 90 degree weather - not looking happy - waiting (not HAL). We were so thankful we weren't them! Hopefully, that has changed in eight years for that cruiseline. Oh, and our luggage was waiting for us in our room!

It is the little attention to detail that makes vacations so memorable! However, I'm sure we will have fun no matter what we decide!

Thank you! :)

Sandy

My kids have not been on HAL because frankly I have never found their ships to be very family friendly...so we won't do HAL.

Yes, RCCL had the cruise/air combo. I don't use that though because it's usually better for us to get a private towncar to meet us at the airport and not get herded onto a bus. I don't like starting off my vacation feeling like cattle...lol.

What made it so memorable? Oh where do I begin? lol

RCCL strives to have VERY kid friendly things to do.

On the Freedom Class ships they have the H20 zone....

IMG_0724.jpg

The kid talent show held on stage at the On Air Club...

IMG_0835.jpg

The pirate parade - done throughout the ship and through the late dining.

IMG_0789.jpg

The circus parade, done in the Promenade. each child is given a part in the cricus

IMG_0817.jpg

And they have kid friendly venues like Ben & Jerrys, Johnny Rockets, Sorrento's Pizza and Cafe Promenade that serves sandwiches and cookies

IMG_0843.jpg

AND - now with Genesis Class being built with Oasis of the Seas - they have a zip line on board, a boardwalk WITH a carousel and water shows.

http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/gallery.php

WOW! I'm sold!

I just saw pictures of the new Eurodam that we originally thought we would do, and as wonderful and beautiful as it is, I kept thinking in the back of my mind...Cheney will be bored! I didn't get a sense of what the kids programs were on RCCL until I saw your pictures. She would have the best time! Do you sign them up and pay for these things separate? Is she gone all day or can we pick and choose what she would like? We like having her with us!

RCCL does have their 2009/2010 schedule out yet? It wasn't in the information we got in the mail.

I'm so sorry to be asking so many questions! Thank you though for being so patient!

Archived