On-board Dvd Of Your Cruise

STEPHEN LARKIN

;) Hi Guys ,

On past ships I have cruised on they have produced a "dvd of the week" . This included views of the ship and fun parts like shows that the passengers took part in etc , I will be crossing the pond on the QM2 this October and was wondering if Cunard also produce a similar souvenir DVD ?

Cheers ...

;) Hi Guys ,

On past ships I have cruised on they have produced a "dvd of the week" . This included views of the ship and fun parts like shows that the passengers took part in etc , I will be crossing the pond on the QM2 this October and was wondering if Cunard also produce a similar souvenir DVD ?

Cheers ...

Yes they do. We bought one on our first QM2 cruise, viewed it once and never bought one again. It is sitting at the bottom of some draw somewhere along with my Deliverance and Rosemary's Baby tapes.

I find the memories that I have in my head are more important than the ones I see on the DVD.

Also, despite how it is sold some of footage, especially the port footage, is stock and used on all their cruises. On the New England cruise where I bought the DVD it has a beautiful section on Bar Harbour, Maine. The only problem is that because of rough seas we had to cancel that port.

We bought the one on our New England cruise, which was the inaugural visit of the QM2 and it was quite good. Included was a tour of the ship that was also interesting. We have watched it several times and shared it with interested friends.

On the QV World Cruise segment NYC to LA, we also bought the DVD. This one was quite diappointing and I would be embarrassed to show it to anyone. It has what seems like hours of people dancing and very little else.

I purchased one of these on my first transatlantic crossing. I think it was all stock footage apart from a scene filmed during lifeboat drill. I knew it was stock footage because there were Christmas decorations everywhere and I crossed in May.

When I purchased it remember to assistant emphasising that I should keep the receipt so I could return it. Was she trying to let me know? I did think of sending it back to Cunard but in the end kept it because it was funny being so badly done and with all the Christmas decorations.

Perhaps they have improved these videos since. They are probably better from a cruise than a crossing. I think they might play on the television system during the cruise so you could preview before you purchases.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Yes they do.

The DVD is a combination of stock footage of the ship as well as the destinations visited but there is material thrown in specific to the cruise you will be on. The DVDs are cheesy beyond belief and probably not worth the money but.........

That being said, I originally bought one for my QM2 cruise in the Caribbean in December 2006 for the purpose of surprising a fellow co-worker who enquired about these things. In the end I kept it for myself :eek: (although I did allow her to borrow it to view it:o ).

The main reason was that my partner and I made it on the video in one scene greeting the Captain at the Captain's reception in the Queen's Room. My motion picture debut. LOL!:D

Probably more fascinating is the extra on the disc...footage from the naming ceremony when the QM2 was unveiled with QEII and all.

I take the disc for what it is but do pull it out to watch occassionally. The QM2 does look great on a 46" flat-screen.:)

David

Who's debating about the DVD for the final westbound transatlantic of the QE2!

I was on one of the last transatlantics of the QE2 in April. When I did a double transatlantic on the QE2 in 2003, I never bought the DVD, and never for my shorter QM2 trips. So I HAD to buy it this time, especially as the QE2 is going out of service. It was not as good as expected. We had a number of memorable day experiences, including a talk by ex-Commodore Warwick, talks every day by ship historian Bill Miller, and a memorial service as we went over the Titanic on the anniversary, April 14. None of this was on the DVD. There was stock footage of New York, and lots of evening stuff, such as dancing, the Captain's reception and Ascot Ball. There were some film shots of various locations on the ship, which WAS worth it. There were also some behind the scenes stuff, but no where as good as the QE2 Amarillo Youtube.com video (check it out, it's great!). Please also note that you can get commercial QE2 and QM2 videos from Barnes and Noble and Amazon (the QE2 one is part of the Asia visit of the world tour, and the QM2 is the Brazil visit), and these have some interior location and behind the scenes stuff, too. Not enough, though!

I bought a QE2 DVD when we did a Mediterranean cruise in 2005 and it was quite good (well I featured in it:D ) but this year when we were on the NY to Sydney segments of the World cruise, they were showing it on the TV to encourage us to buy, but it didn't look very good. Several people who did the full cruise and bought each segment have expressed disappointment. It may depend on the current photographer and how good he/she is at mixing stock footage with the photos taken on the particular cruise.

Archived