3 shore excursions--Skagway, Juneau, Ketchican

rhondakap

Okay, just really quickly, jot down the top things to do in:

Ketchikan

Skagway (will consider going to Haines)

Juneau

FYI, we have a 9 year old son who loves nature. Interested in birdwatching and wildlife viewing.

Thanks, and we're off to Alaska on August 3!

Ketchikan

Juneau

FYI, we have a 9 year old son who loves nature. Interested in birdwatching and wildlife viewing.

The only one many people recommend is the

White Pass Railway Tour . Not the 8 hr but the 4 hr one.

:)

On our heli-hike/rail tour in Skagway with Packer Expedition, the guide was great with a young boy (he was 8 or 9 I think) and during the hike, he pointed out all of the evidence of wildlife and what they ate etc along the way. I think he made the hike for the young boy. I would actually say that the guys on the Aluetion Ballard crab boat tour in Kethican really engaged the young folks as well.

check out the websites for each port:

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

great for whale watching!! then mendenhall glacier, on your own. only the cost to get there

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

chance for bear watching

http://www.skagway.com/

if you are really on a budget, rent a car and drive the highway to the yukon. much to see and easy to do on your own. read a few pages of the alaska boards and you will find posts about it. google murray's guide.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

totem pole parks, can do on your own

walk around town...if the salmon are running, very interesting.

In Juneau the tram is not too expensive and is kind of fun. You get a great view from up top. Also Mendenhall glacier is nice - your son would probably love nugget falls ( my kids do) and standing so close to all that rushing water pouring off the mountain. If you can afford it, the whale watching is great.

In Skagway - White Pass railroad is wonderful ( the three hour one) and I am sure he would get a kick out of that. Or there is a ranger station near by that can help you with close by hiking trails, or you can rent bikes and go for a ride or even cheaper still you can ride the city bus and get a nice little tour for less then 2 dollars each.

Ketchican - the time here is really short in most cases. We typically just enjoy the quiet offerings on board the ship. But I have heard the lumberjack show is cute.

I would really recommend whale watching in Juneau, despite the cost (around $125 pp, if I recall correctly)

The Mt. Roberts Tram (Juneau) is highly recommended, but I have not been on it. Sounds like it is pretty low-cost. Don't purchase tix in advance, as you want it to be a clear day, from what people say.

There's a fish hatchery, raptor rehab centre and totem pole museum in Ketchikan that you can get to using public transit. We wanted to do this but didn't have enough time in Ketchikan. Next trip, I swear :)

You're right about Ketchikan. We leave at 3:00. I thought we would take the public bus, see totem poles, walk around, etc.

Whale watching is a great idea. . .is it hit or miss, or are the whales around most of the time? Where we live (Boston), you may not see whales. My husband gets seasick so I'd want it to be a nearly sure thing.

Ketchikan

Juneau

We did the Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer in Ketchikan which everyone (but there were only a handful of kids) on our boat seemed to enjoy. Lots of scenery and orcas but not much else.

Skagway - we went to Haines for the jet boat Eagle Preserve tour. I wouldn't recommend that one. It was alright but.

Juneau - we did ride the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts. Definitely only if the weather is clear. There were a few short walks we could make, as snow closed much of the trails. It was pretty!

Whale watching is a great idea. . .is it hit or miss, or are the whales around most of the time? Where we live (Boston), you may not see whales. My husband gets seasick so I'd want it to be a nearly sure thing.

The one we took, throught the ship, guarantees you will see a whale or they give you $100 dollars of your ticket price back. They said they have only had to do that once. They seem to know where to look for them. If you look at the excursion packet they should say whether or not the guarantee a sighting.

As for getting sea sick, the one we went on used this huge catamaran (sp?) and there was no movement at all... it was smooth as glass. Inside was warm and comfy and they provided binoculars too. (Princess uses Allen tours).

even the local vendors offer a whale watching gty. they have some residents humpbacks that stay in the area all year-round. then the others that winter in hawaii...the humpbacks are in alaska from april 'till november, eating for the hawaii trip.

just have to remember..most trips you will only see back/tails and fins. but still..when you think what amazing critters they are, any chance to see them is a thrill.

we went with orca enterprises, you will..also...read good reviews of harv & marv (as well as a couple of others.) orca has been doing whale watching the longest..they have a office at the docks.

harv & marv's boat only take 6, they work out of their homes.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/whales/species/Humpbackwhale.shtml

some of the whale watching tours will go to other sites to see other wildlife...ours was strictly whale watching, but some sea lions had other plans and came over to entertain our tour.

Whale watching is a great idea. . .is it hit or miss, or are the whales around most of the time?

As mentioned, we too had a guarantee of seeing whales or $100 back. We went thru the Holland America tour. Ten mins into our trip, we'd seen whales. And we kept seeing whales for almost the entire tour.

Kinda funny, as one thing I wanted out of the whale watching was for DH to get a chance to see some of the "land" and the water, etc, that isn't seen from the cruise ship. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! There were actually so many sightings of whales on our whale watch, we didn't get more than 15 or 20 mins from the dock. So we'll just have to do it again :D

Sarbah77 . . . we were thinking of the Bald Eagle Preserve float trip in Haines. Can you tell me what you didn't like about it? I haven't read a lot of comments about that excursion, so would appreciate your thoughts. We may want to rethink that choice.

My picks would be:

Juneau - Whale Watching with Orca Enterprises with a trip to Mendenhall Glacier.

Skagway - Whitepass Rail one way and van trip back with Chilkoot Charters with a stop at Caribou Crossing to see the sled dogs and puppies.

Ketchikan - Deadliest Catch tour on the Aleutian Ballad.

i did the basic round-trip, while it was nice...if i do the train again, if will be one of the longer trips, allowing to see more of the country.

I have the long trip booked, one way on the train. I was wondering why a couple of people in this thread recommend the short trip over the long trip. I could change that if there is a good reason to. But I have heard no reason to prefer the short trip.

For Juneau I have whale watching booked in the morning (Orca) and a helicopter (Coastal) to a glacier in the afternoon.

Ketchikan, I have booked a Misty Fjords floatplane trip (Islandwings).

I have the long trip booked, one way on the train. I was wondering why a couple of people in this thread recommend the short trip over the long trip. I could change that if there is a good reason to. But I have heard no reason to prefer the short trip.

We independently arranged the WPYR to Fraser, then small bus pick-up by Dyea Dave and trip on to Emerald Lake in the Yukon before returning to Skagway. Emerald Lake is truly beautiful, and this was our best excursion from any in the same three ports, although Misty Fjord was good.

Perhaps the ship organised long tours on a large tour bus return might be the problem? We stopped where ever we wanted to with Dave.

I would also recommend the Chilkoot Charters tour (train one way, small bus the other) if this is your first visit to Skagway. Chilkoot will get you to Emerald Lake, Carcross (don't forget to get your passport stamped in the post office - we did :mad: ) - and for the kids, a stop at Caribou crossing would be a lot of fun. With the bus back, you'll have a much better change of spotting, and stopping for, wildlife.

Why is the eight hour not recommended?

I don't recall reading (until this thread) that people were recommending the 4 hr rail tour over the 7 hr. We took the 7 hr last August with Chilkoot Charters and had a great time. As already mentioned, in smaller groups and smaller vehicles, there is a greater opportunity to stop for photo op's and scenic views. But, many people do recommend renting a car and doing the drive, and it would certainly be more economical if cost is a factor.

I don't recall reading (until this thread) that people were recommending the 4 hr rail tour over the 7 hr. We took the 7 hr last August with Chilkoot Charters and had a great time. As already mentioned, in smaller groups and smaller vehicles, there is a greater opportunity to stop for photo op's and scenic views. But, many people do recommend renting a car and doing the drive, and it would certainly be more economical if cost is a factor.

I don't think I can take the Chilkoot Charters or would because my ship docks in Haines. That requires a ferry to Skagway and back. This is the one case I am booking through the cruise line because I have to ensure getting back.

Ketchikan

Juneau

juneau---whale watching with capt.larry ( you will see whales )

ketchikan---island wings fjords floatplane with michelle ( super )

skagway--- glacier helicopter tour and walking around doing some shopping

you cant get any better than that in my opinion.

have a great time.

We're probably going to go with Captain Jack on the Scania for whale watching. He not only guarantees that you will see at least one whale or TOTAL money back but also that you will not get seasick (or money back). Sounds perfect for your husband. http://www.whale-watch.biz/trip.htm

We went with Captain Jack on June 12 - He was fantastic!! You will love him as well as the boat and the whales!! I highly recommend the m/v Scania for anyone with a fear of seasickness.

Also in Junea - I agree with the other poster who mentioned not to buy the Mt Roberts Tramway tickets in advance. Cloud coverage makes a big difference. Also, there are tour operators near the pier area that will take you out to Mendenhall Glacier for a very reasonable price as well.

As for Ketchikan - I know you said you're on budget, but not knowing what that is...I would recommend kayaking to you. Check out kayakketchikan.com They are a great tour operator and you'll have a great time. They kayaking is not difficult kayaking and we saw wildlife both on shore (islands in the cove) as well as in the water.

Good luck and Happy travels!

Ketchikan

Juneau

Ketchikan.....Misty Fjords Flight

Skagway....rent a car and drive the Klondike Highway

Juneau....whale watch

Archived