3 shore excursions--Skagway, Juneau, Ketchican

rhondakap

We are on a budget also, but thought the White Pass Railway in Skagway was worth splurging for. We booked through Chilkoot Tours the 3.5 hour train up and bus back tour.

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/summitrail.htm

The price for this tour is $118.65 for adults and $76.65 for children.

Ketchikan we plan to see the Lumberjack show, then take the city bus to Saxman then back to visit Creek Street, the Deer Mountain Tribal Hatchery and Eagle Center and the Totem Heritage Center.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/ThingstoDo/Attractions/tabid/92/language/en-US/Default.aspx

There seems to be a lot you can do and see here without spending a lot of money.

Juneau so far plan to take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier and maybe take the tram to the top of Mt Roberts.

If your son enjoys wildlife, you may have to consider going on a tour that gets outside of town. If this is a priority, consider booking at least one good tour that gets you out into nature for wildlife viewing, check these boards for tips or book through the cruiseline.

Hi,

I was in Alaska in 1999 and did not take any tours just walked around. This time i am taking 2 grandchildren 11 and 16, so we are doing ships Best of Juneau which includes whale watching, mendenhall glacier and salmon bake. Cheaper than doing separately. They guarantee whales or $100 back..In Skagway doing 7hr yukon rail and bus with Chilkoot. Ketchikan doing Bering Sea Crab (discovery boat) thru the ship. It is quite expensive for 3 to do all this but who knows if any of us will ever get back. In Victoria taking the shuttle and meeting Ghosts and Graveyard walking tour. Seattle, city tour and duck tour. Hope the weather co operates for July 26 departure.

Capn Jack is looking like a great option. Then we may skip the train in Skagway (rent a car instead?) Dyea Dave hasn't emailed me back to follow up on those logistics, so I need to call him. Again, I may consider the ferry to Haines.

Thanks for all your help.

This is all great information! I have been looking at Chilkoot Charters, and they don't list prices on their website. Does anyone know how much the 7 hour "Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion" costs pp?

Thanks!

We were there last week and loved all our excursions. Highly recommended

Skagway - Private tour with Dyea Dave - excellent!

Juneau - Whale watching, Princess tour, very good.

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords with Michelle. Again excellent!

We enjoyed the Duck Tour in Ketchican - a land and sea tour where we were very close to bald eagles and a 9 year old will like a duck whistle, then you have plenty of time to walk around the town.

Whale watching and wild life tour was great in Juneau and Skagway we took the 3.5 hour White Pass train.

All good tours that did not break the bank.

Enjoy Alaska!

Here's what I've decided on, thanks to your help:

Ketchikan--unstructured, walk around, city bus, may consider duck tour (we have them here too, and we've actually never been)

Juneau--Orca whale watch and then Mendenhall. Eat meals on board to save $. I wanted to go with Capt Jack but he couldn't accommodate me on the morning, and an afternoon whale watch just didn't work out.

Skagway--Train to Fraser and then Dyea Dave. I'm having trouble reaching him. I talked to him by phone yesterday, he said he was available that day and would email me, but I haven't heard from him. I'll try calling later, being mindful of the time difference.

Thanks for your help.

Rhonda

We went on the whale watching tour in Juneau and it was awesome. It was a large catermaran and we saw loads of whales, eagles, an eagle rookery, sea lions, glaciers. We did the best of Juneau and went to Mendenhall glacier first which was good, then the boat, then the salmon bake. I can not recommend the salmon bake, the food was not very good but the price for 2 was about as much as doing all three. We went on the 4 hr white pass railroad in Skaway and loved it. That way you have time to do other things, walk thru town etc. In Ketchikan we went salmon fishing - don't do it!! we spend a ton of money, plus had to pay for a king salmon stamp and I didn't even touch a fishing pole. The boat ride was nice but if you are looking for fishing this isn't it. Again we booked everything thru HAL (first timers). We are going again in Sept. and we are going to do the Juneau whale watching again. We loved it. You can be sure you will see whales. Your son will love it.

Wow - that is dissapointing about Orca's customer service. The boat left 3.5 hours late and they only reimbursed you 38 bucks. That is poor customer service IMO. We are going with Orca in August and I hope I don't smell alcohol on the driver. That is a big pet peeve of mine. I'm keeping an open mind since so many people rave about Orca.

Livin4him, that sure sounds like an awful experience. We had a much better experience with Orca, and I sat right behind Capt Larry, and talked with him quite a bit. No smell of alcohol then. I think Orca is shooting themselves in the foot with their response to you, as this forum almost guarantees there will be people who choose another whale watch operator due to your experience.

To Virgil,

I am booked on golden princess for best of Juneau with 2 kids 11 and 16. The salmon bake is $20 more pp. than just doing the glacier and whale watch. Do you think i should just do the 2 events and cancel the salmon bake and save the $60 or do you think they may like it? Can they kind of hike around the area or is it just sit and eat..does anything else occur on the salmon bake? Were there any kids at the salmon bake?

Thanks

Doris

I'm also disappointed about Orca. We booked with them for August. Neither Harv and Marv nor Capt Jack could accommodate us (I was late in booking) so Orca was the only choice. I wonder if there's a way that people who are booked for the future could call Carol and kind of put them on notice that the word will get around if this type of service continues. Hopefully it was a one time problem, but if you only go to Juneau once, then it's a big problem.

Actually, Orca hasn't confirmed with me via email after taking the reservations. I emailed but I think I should call.

Rhondakap, I was also a bit concerned over not getting a confirmation from Orca when we booked. It took a couple of weeks, but I did get a confirmation to print out and take with me. Hopefully, your's will be along soon.

Hi,

Are you on the Pearl on August 3rd? If you are, do not forget to go to the roll call and attend the meet and greet scheduled for August 4th in the Le Bistro.

Our family of 5 is looking forward to the trip,

Lisa

Archived