Jewel 6/10 (with kids) any questions?

Hello Fintry!

If you go to the individual web sites for the tour companies you will see people wanting to make up a group of six or eight. Some also have children. I would contact the tour organizers that are popular on this board, Alla, Anastasia, Denrus, spb etc. and see if they know of other families wanting to make a group. It is not too late.

I think you will be better off with a Denrus group tour or an Alla group tour than going with the ship. I did hear people complain about the boat ride with the ship tour they called it the "Never" Boat ride rather than the "Neva" Boat ride!

Hi Debbie!

I am surprised that they told you there are only two beds in a mini suite. We had a queen size bed (two beds put together with a double matress topper) and a sofa bed that slept two. The balcony rooms are quite small. My parents were in one. There is a love seat type arm chair and probably you will have a pull down bunk style bed as well.

The first night and first sea day was rough! The waves were 7- 12 foot and the wind force went from 10 (severe storm- more than gale force) to 12 (hurricane). It did die down by late evening. Coming back the waves were the same, the wind was less fierce (force 8 - gale) but many passengers were sick again- there were sea sick bags left near the elevators. I must say that the Drammamine worked wonders for us, just one tablet even though it says to take it every 4 hours. We seemed to get our "sea legs" after just one tablet! Hopefully, when you sail the sea will be nice and calm- I really hope so! But, the trip is worth it, even with the rough seas!

They did say a queen bed and a sofa bed for 2, but sadly my kids do not want to share the sofa bed. :( In the regular balconey rooms the have the queen bed, the futon that pulls out to a single and a bed that pulls down from the top...it is going to be tight. Those waves sound a lot worse than we had. We will be taking it before bed the first night.

We are taking this cruise on August 11, 2008 with our daughter age 13. We have been to Russia in the past (Three weeks in Moscow and Novosibirsk). We are doing half day ship excursions and had some apprehension about booking the Hermitage with daughter (and husband). I thought maybe too crowded and overwhelming during this brief stay. Especially, our two days in St. Petersburg are Sunday and Monday. Hermitage is closed on Monday.

We have decided on three ships excusions:

Sunday AM-Catherdral on Spilled Blood & Waterways (i.e.,canal transportation to catherdral and shopping in market nearby).

Sunday PM-Catherine's Estate in Tsar's village (bus transportation)

Monday PM- Peterhof Gardens & Fountains (Hydrofoil transportation).

These sound consistent with your children's favorites.

I totally agree with everyone about getting a private guide for St. Petersburg. There were many complaints from people who used the NCL tours with groups being too large, the guides not speaking well enough English, and spending too much time at NCL shopping places. We just back from the 6/22 NCL Jewel sailing and did the Alla strenous tour with our 9 and 14 year old boys plus 2 other couples from our Roll Call. Our guide was Valentina and she was wonderful with the boys. So patient, friendly and gentle yet so tough when other groups got in her way trying not to let her get in to the museums. We saw so many things in 2 days it was amazing and the kids were wide eyed and happy the entire time. Alla totally customized the tour to our needs including seeing the Hermitage, Peter and Paul fortress and a whole bunch of churches on Sunday and Catherine's Palace and Peterhof on Monday. It was great and I would highly recommend private tours over NCL because you get so much more for your money and a much better perspective of Russia.

Eileen

Hello Fintry!

If you go to the individual web sites for the tour companies you will see people wanting to make up a group of six or eight. Some also have children. I would contact the tour organizers that are popular on this board, Alla, Anastasia, Denrus, spb etc. and see if they know of other families wanting to make a group. It is not too late.

I think you will be better off with a Denrus group tour or an Alla group tour than going with the ship. I did hear people complain about the boat ride with the ship tour they called it the "Never" Boat ride rather than the "Neva" Boat ride!

Thank you This is our first cruise and I didnt appreciate how organised you had to be! Hopefully we will be able to tag on to another group. Its great to get all this info from you - much appreciated.

Glynniis

Archived