Island Tour and Pirate Cruise

mickey-mouse

We went on the Pirate Cruise last time and the kids really enjoyed it, so this time we wanted to go again, but also include the Island Tour. This would involve going on Pirate ship from 9 to 11 am and then going on island tour from 12:15 to 3:45. Has anyone done 2 excursions in one day? I don't know if it would be too hectic.

What time is your ship in port?

How old are your kids? I am not sure you'll have enough time to eat lunch between your excursions, especially if there are quite a few ships in port.

Our first time in GC, we were on a ship (7-4:30), and we did an island tour and then a snorkeling excursion. Our first excursion started around 8:00 and the other one around 11:00. We got back in the port area around 1:30, and by then, everyone was starving. We barely had time to grab lunch and get back to the tender line.

Our day was very hectic, but my kids were in their teens and early 20's when we did this. We wanted to see as much of the island as possible in the short time we were there.

My kids are around 9 and 10 years old.

That is my main concern, about having enough time to eat.

Are there are any places nearby to grab something quick to eat like pizza?

I could also reverse the order of the excursions and go on island tour first at 8:30 am and then do pirate cruise at 11:45 am, leaving 1 hour in between tours.

At 9 & 10, I think they'll be fine as long as you can figure out food. If it were me, I'd probably try and have a big breakfast on the ship. Then I'd do the island tour first. I'd also bring along some wrapped snacks (snack bars) and then if I couldn't find a place to get lunch, then I'd have the kids eat those. Then I'd do the pirate tour second.

If a big breakfast isn't possible, I'd reverse this and do the pirate tour first. My kids tended to get sea-sick, so that's why I'd do the pirate tour first, if you're not able to eat a big breakfast.

There's really not a fast food place right in town that I can remember. There's a Burger King, but it's too far to walk to (at least from what I remember-but it could be closer than I am remembering). There's a restaurant called Breezes right in the middle of the port area. Hard Rock is also right there as is a restaurant call Paradise Bar & Grill. I'm just not sure 1 hour is going to be long enough to have lunch, especially if there are lots of ships in port the day you'll be there. If you're lucky enough to be there when there's only 2 or 3 ships, you'll probably have time to eat in a restaurant.

There's also a snack bar at the Turtle Farm, so you could probably pick up sandwiches there, and take them along with you and eat them on the bus.

Here's a list of some of the restaurants on the island.

http://www.caymanrestaurants.com/

Have a great time!

I don't have an answer to your question but was hoping you could answer mine.We are going on The Mariner of the Seas in Nov. and I believe they have an excursion thru the ship w/a pirate cruise.We are thinking of doing this thru the ship.What is this like?I saw a short video and it looks like they might throw water on adults(for laughs)and do they make everyone jump off into the ocean?Looks like a lot of fun but...I also have a 8 & 10 yr. old(LOVE pirates) I just don't know if they would like jumping in the ocean.And We are going w/their Grandma so I wouldn't want her getting water dumped on her-LOL!Thanks:)

I don't have an answer to your question but was hoping you could answer mine.We are going on The Mariner of the Seas in Nov. and I believe they have an excursion thru the ship w/a pirate cruise.We are thinking of doing this thru the ship.What is this like?I saw a short video and it looks like they might throw water on adults(for laughs)and do they make everyone jump off into the ocean?Looks like a lot of fun but...I also have a 8 & 10 yr. old(LOVE pirates) I just don't know if they would like jumping in the ocean.And We are going w/their Grandma so I wouldn't want her getting water dumped on her-LOL!Thanks:)

My kids loved the Pirate Encounter. They don't force you to jump off the ship. You only go into the ocean if you want to. Everyone who goes into the ocean requires a life vest that they provide. You were allowed to walk the plank into the water, of you could climb down the ladder. There was even a spot on the top deck to jump off, but only 2 or 3 people actually jumped from there.

First when you get on the pirate ship, they take the kids down to the first level to "shoot" a cannon at the cruise ship.

After they get through shooting the cannon, they gather the kids to swab the deck. The pirates didn't force them to participate, but the kids who did participate had fun. They even dumped water on the kids while they were swabbing the deck.

An unsuspecting parent is picked and their hands are tied loosely and cold water is poured on them.

My kids had a blast.

Now I don't know if I will be able to even book the 2 excursions because from what I have heard, DCL will only allow you to book the 2 excursions online if there is a 2 hour gap between the end of the first excursion and the start of the second one. I was thinking of just booking one excursion online and then trying to book the second one when I get on the ship at the excursion desk. Hopefully they will let me do that.

;) Mickey-Mouse had a good description of the pirate encounter.

Our family went on the Cayman Pirate Encounter in July 2007. I have three boys aged 8, 12 and 15 and they all loved it. One of the pirates on board was dressed up like Jack Sparrow. That was a big hit for my 8 year old! The pirate ship sailed passed our cruise ship and fired cannons at it in a mock pirate attack. The children could then participate in "swabbing the deck". They received either a toothbrush or a small sliver of a rag to wipe the deck. After that they recited a pirate oath. The pirates on board captured two prisioners and dumped ice water over their heads. (The two prisioners they captured were outgoing and clowned around with the pirates--giving them a hard time and teasing them--so it is unlikely that your grandmother would be picked for this). After this entertainment, anyone who wants, can jump off the side of the pirate ship or walk the plank into the beautiful, turquoise clear water of the Caribbean Sea. Even my 8 year old had a blast doing this--and did not find it frightening to jump at all. Anyone who wanted to jump off the ship was required to wear a flotation device. Once back on board they served free rum punch or soft drinks.

I have posted a video of our port excursions on YouTube. Click on the following link to view it. There is video footage of the Cayman Pirate Encounter on it. This should help you to understand better what this excursion was like and what to expect.

Hope this information helps!

Archived