Halifax... A Couple of Questions

Leaving for St. John and Halifax in 55 days!!! Just a couple of questions:

Is the Citadel in walking distance from the ship?

Also, we'd like to take a taxi to the Titanic cemetery. Where can we get one? And, what are we looking at price wise for a taxi?

Maybe he can drop us off at the Citadel and we can walk back to the ship from there?

One last question, perhaps the most important... My husband and I would love to get a good plate of fish and chips.. I thought I remembered a place right there on the boardwalk where you can sit outside next to the harbor? And, do they have Keith's on tap?

Thanks!

My DH and I are just off the Victory. We were in Halifax on Tuesday. We stopped at the information desk at the ship's pier. We were given a map and great information. We walked to the Public Gardens and from there a short distance to the Citadel. This part of our own tour was up hill, but not awful. Once we got to the Citadel the rest of the "tour was downhill." We ended up at the far end of the harbor walk and spent the rest of the day making our way back to the ship along the waterfront. One benefit was that we were able to do the maritime museum at 4:30 ship's time (5:30 local time) when we were able to gain free entry to the museum. We spent about 20 - 30 minutes in the museum looking at the Titanic exhibit (more than ample) and then had enough time to make it back to the ship.

Susie

we walked to the Citadel from the ship. It is doable, but I will tell you, it is uphill, really up. Walk back is much better

We walked to the Museum of Natural History, which is just past the Citadel area. The "up" part of "uphill" is no joke. I'm a good walker and I was pretty tired by the time we got up there.

But yes, it is certainly doable.

The free "FRED" bus was not yet running (I think it started yesterday, and we were there Thursday).

We walked to the Museum of Natural History, which is just past the Citadel area. The "up" part of "uphill" is no joke. I'm a good walker and I was pretty tired by the time we got up there.

But yes, it is certainly doable.

The free "FRED" bus was not yet running (I think it started yesterday, and we were there Thursday).

The FRED bus should be running when we are there the beginning of Sept so hope to save myself some strenuous walking.:)

Do you have any recommendations for tours or things not to miss in the other ports?

Do you have any recommendations for tours or things not to miss in the other ports?

Not sure which ports your particular cruise will be going to. If you go to Sydney, I recommend either the Fortress of Louisburg or the Miners Museum. Or both. I've written about them elsewhere, I think. But someone else did the Bird Island (Puffin) tour and that also sounded great. And someone else rented a car and drove partway up the gorgeous Cabot Trail.

Cape Breton was probably the best stop on our cruise but they should stay an extra day so you can do more! I think our next land vacation will be back there, if at all possible.

Archived