6/1-6/8 off Star Princess

cruisinlawn

Overdue but wanted to say thanks to all who answered prior to our 6/1 trip. It was back to the daily grind upon returning on 6/20.

In a nut shell all went fantastic. We sailed Star Princess rndtrip out of Seattle. Very nice city, enjoyed our 2 days pre-cruise. All went well with airport, transfers, hotel, embark/debark.

The Alaskan cruise was superb. Yes we will be going back. It was self and dw(mid-40's), parents (early 70's), sister and bil (early 50's). We have all been fortunate to have sailed many times in the Carib on various lines but this was our first to AK. The ship was excellent and we would sail her again tomorrow.

Our ports...Ketchikan, we saw the Lumberjack show early morning. Late morning parents were off to Misty Fjords Wilderness via Princess tour on the catamaran. They thoroughly enjoyed. The other four of us did the zip line. Very nice. Enjoyed the port, morning drizzle followed by excellent afternoon, bright and sunny.

Tracy Arm was diverted to Endicott Arm. Fantastic scenery and we all enjoyed breakfast on our balconies. Stayed wrapped up and popped in the cabin to warm.

Juneau...WOW. Did the whale watch with Harv and Marv. Superb tour prolly because we got on top of one particular whale that put on a show. I felt confident we would see blows and flukes from all my readings, but this whale went all out. We sat for almost entire hour watching numerous blows/tails. It was rolling, slapping it's pectorals and just showing off. We stopped counting breaches around 25, It prolly went another 10-15 times at least. I know this is not the norm and we were very lucky. Likely will never see this type action again in my life. Harv(Jay) commented he likely would not see a dozen times the entire season. Can't say enough and this made the week. Seriously, I know they have no control over the wildlife but they do a super job with the tour. We'll be looking them up should we find ourselves back in Juneau. They made a quick stop by Mendenhall and back in town dropped us at Mt Roberts Tram. An excellent day had by all.

Skagway....booked through Chilkoot the 7 hour train tour. Again, from start to finish an excellent day. Being from Atlanta, we saw scenery unlike we have ever seen and parents will likely never see again. Very nice tour, we ended up on train car with just the six of us as mom is in wheelchair. They put is all in the car with chair lift as they had no other guest. Tour continued on the shuttle bus with a total of 14. Very nice day. I will add that the scenery sailing out of Skagway was prolly the most dramatic, awesome we saw. We just stayed on balconies and upper decks for close to three hours taking it in.

Victoria...we were beat so took it easy. Though I would have liked to go to Butchart, I couldn't rally the others. We enjoyed a couple of hours just walking the city then headed back via the waterway. Guess we'll catch the gardens next time, gives us a reason to book again.

All in all fantastic week had by all. Including two that freeze when temps fall below 65degrees. They were the first to admit an excellent week.

I posted on the Princess and West coast forums as well. Thanks again to all and I'd be glad to share any info in desired. Ken.

Since you did RT out of Seattle, what did you think of the seas on the west coast of Vancouver Island in comparison to the inside passage? I have heard they are much rougher.

The Friday before Victoria on the return the ship was rolling pretty good and there were a good number of passengers were nauseous.

Archived