Sept 20, 2008 cruise to Bermuda

gszach

Hi. My wife, my parents and I are considering the Sept 20, 2008 cruise to Bermuda on the NCL Majesty. We are very worried that this is the middle of hurricane season. We do not want to go to New England/Canada if the ship diverts to there instead. Is there insurance we can by that allows us to cancel the cruise and get a refund if a hurricane stops the ship from going to Bermuda? How much does that insurance cost?

There is probably a "cancel for any reason" policy, which pays if you just decide to be a no-show at the last minute. It will be expensive.

If the ship changes itinerary, then no other type of insurance would pay, because part of the contract you will sign when you buy the cruise is an agreement that the cruise line can make any changes to the itinerary they want for any reason. If that is not OK with you, the best bet would be to find another type of vacation.

In addition to hurricanes, the Atlantic in late September could get pretty wild, so consider if you are prone to seasickness as well.

Hi. My wife, my parents and I are considering the Sept 20, 2008 cruise to Bermuda on the NCL Majesty. We are very worried that this is the middle of hurricane season. We do not want to go to New England/Canada if the ship diverts to there instead. Is there insurance we can by that allows us to cancel the cruise and get a refund if a hurricane stops the ship from going to Bermuda? How much does that insurance cost?

Hi -

I don't want to jinx myself and this trip, but this is our fourth cruise and all priors have been this time of year. Our itinerary has never been changed and the seas have always been pretty good. There was one year when we had a real rocky time coming back to NY from the Caribbean but we had run into a wind and rain storm.

I will NOT BE A HAPPY PERSON if we wind up in New England or Canada!!!!

Bermuda is absolutely beautiful and this would never compare.

Hi -

I don't want to jinx myself and this trip, but this is our fourth cruise and all priors have been this time of year. Our itinerary has never been changed and the seas have always been pretty good. There was one year when we had a real rocky time coming back to NY from the Caribbean but we had run into a wind and rain storm.

I will NOT BE A HAPPY PERSON if we wind up in New England or Canada!!!!

Bermuda is absolutely beautiful and this would never compare.

There is "Cancel For Any Reason" insurance available. Thank you for all your suggestions. Insuremytrip.com looks like a good site. Insurance will be a total of about $300 for the four of us, including "cancel for any reason" insurance.

On the other hand, if you board the ship and on day 2 they decide to reroute the ship, your insurance is not going to work very well, unless they will also pay for a helicopter to get your off the ship.

PS - New England is a great cruise, maybe not for you, but we are thinking about doing it again.

Archived