Snorkeling with Kids

TTD

We will be taking 6 and 7 year old boys on a Western Caribbean cruise next winter and would like to take them snorkeling. Any advice? We plan to go to Stingray City in Grand Cayman and would like to snorkel in Cozumel as well. Thank you!

Buy masks, snorkels and fins right now. Let them use them in the pool, bathtub, where ever they are comfortable. Get either snorkeling vests or wetsuits for them, this will keep them on top of the water at all times.

Buy masks, snorkels and fins right now. Let them use them in the pool, bathtub, where ever they are comfortable. Get either snorkeling vests or wetsuits for them, this will keep them on top of the water at all times.

Also remember that they will be growing so you might be into new fins by the time next winter rolls around. As far as your trip:

Stingray city happens on a sand bar in about 3ft. of water. They allow masks and snorkels but fins are prohibited (no stepping on the rays). The rays are very friendly and of course your bravery will go a long way towards theirs. My wife calls them the "puppies of the sea" and giving them a nickname like this can make the kids think of them in a friendlier manner.

Cozumel will be a bit more "exciting water". There are off-shore currents and most snorkeling is drift snorkeling (I personally think too hard for kids). So do some shore snorkeling at the beach instead of the the excursions and they should be fine. Of course the water in Cozumel can get 20ft. pretty quickly so make sure an adult is watching them at all times and keep in mind that kids that age won't be keeping an eye on where they're snorkeling (I know my son at that age was constantly chasing fish wherever they went) so consider making an underwater noise maker and teach them that when the sound goes off, pay attention to what I say. You can make an underwater noise maker by taking a plastic 35mm film case, putting in a few quarters and taping it shut. Just shake it up and down and the rattling can be heard from quite a distance off.

Randall

If considering any group (even small group) excursions - find a way to make your kid's snorkel tube (and/or wetsuit) unique. A bright color, a stripe, something. It is so easy for 'everyone to look the same' while they are swimming along. Even when they pop up and face you - it may be hard to tell who is who.

Great idea for noise maker. Great idea to get accustomed now in the pool, etc.

Search for reviews on ERD in Cozumel for small group tours...although these are are open water trips and your kid's swimming/water abilities should be considered. A beach trip is probably a much better choice for beginners.

My snorkel recommendation:

Once you are on the cruise, go to the breakfast buffet and grab several boxes of cereal (cornflakes) and put them in your snorkel bag. Open the airtight bags in the water and the fish will flock to you and your kids will be messmorized!

My snorkel recommendation:

Once you are on the cruise, go to the breakfast buffet and grab several boxes of cereal (cornflakes) and put them in your snorkel bag. Open the airtight bags in the water and the fish will flock to you and your kids will be messmorized!

I just have to add to do this if your conscience will allow you.... I personally don't like to feed fish foods that aren't native to the reef (at least I haven't found any corn or wheat fields in the ocean). Feeding fish modifies their behavior (I've seen people swarmed by fish even when they didn't have food just because the fish were fed so often). Also many fish not only feed on the reef, they keep it healthy by eliminating algea. Getting fish to change their habits could cause adverse effects that could eventually kill off the reef. In addition, providing a rich food source causes larger reproduction of "nusance" fish on the reef sometimes pushing out the balance of the reef. Sounds radical but you only have to dive on a reef where people don't feed the fish and a reef where fish feeding is condoned to see the difference feeding makes, and it's usually not good.

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

I am going in two weeks to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, and my 6 year old is coming snorkeling with us. We bought her a mask, snorkel and fins early this summer. It took some experimenting to get the right fit, I started with a cheap set and it was a huge waste of money, since the mask leaked, and the snorkel was not the "dry" kind. We wound up going to a "real" dive store and buying better snorkel, mask and fins for her. We started in the pool without fins, and she picked it up very quickly. A she got better, we added the fins, and now she is a pro. We have been taking her to a local cove to practice how the currents and waves in the ocean feel- she was scared at first, but has gotten much more confident, even dragging me out over a deep drop - off! We have tried it with a life vest, and without, without the vest she and I hold hands, and swim together, and it works well for us- we point to things, and if she needs help clearing her mask or anything I am right there to help her. SHe was nervous in the ocean at first, but once she put her face down and saw the fish I could barely get her to come up to rest!

Overall- practice as much as is practical for you- once they feel good with the equipment you will be surprised at how well the little guys can swim with the mask and fins!

We are also planning to take our four year old - in a vest, and with an inflatable lens that will allow him to see the fish without putting his face in the water- we are planning to bring both of them on a boat excursion in Grand Cayman- we'll see if he gets in with the stingrays or not.

I'll update when we get home...

I am going in two weeks to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, and my 6 year old is coming snorkeling with us. We bought her a mask, snorkel and fins early this summer. It took some experimenting to get the right fit, I started with a cheap set and it was a huge waste of money, since the mask leaked, and the snorkel was not the "dry" kind. We wound up going to a "real" dive store and buying better snorkel, mask and fins for her. We started in the pool without fins, and she picked it up very quickly. A she got better, we added the fins, and now she is a pro. We have been taking her to a local cove to practice how the currents and waves in the ocean feel- she was scared at first, but has gotten much more confident, even dragging me out over a deep drop - off! We have tried it with a life vest, and without, without the vest she and I hold hands, and swim together, and it works well for us- we point to things, and if she needs help clearing her mask or anything I am right there to help her. SHe was nervous in the ocean at first, but once she put her face down and saw the fish I could barely get her to come up to rest!

Overall- practice as much as is practical for you- once they feel good with the equipment you will be surprised at how well the little guys can swim with the mask and fins!

We are also planning to take our four year old - in a vest, and with an inflatable lens that will allow him to see the fish without putting his face in the water- we are planning to bring both of them on a boat excursion in Grand Cayman- we'll see if he gets in with the stingrays or not.

Hi,

Sounds like you're all set for having a great time! Remember my wife calls the stingrays the "puppies of the sea"! Goes a long way to getting kids in the water. Let the guide bring a stingray half way to you and your kids and then you let the kids decide if they want to approach the ray. Explain they're "pebbily" on top and "silky" on the bottom and ask if they want to see. My younger son jumped at the change to feel the difference. :)

Have fun!

Randall

• 4 weeks later...

Chankanaab was perfect for snorkeling with kids- it is full of neat things to see and has ropes to define boundaries- with her inflatable snorkel vest my 6 year old was able to swim the whole lagoon confidently and had a great time.

In Grand Cayman we booked a tour with a company I can name if you ask me- we were on a boat of 13 people to Stingray City and then went to a fantastic coral garden and saw starfish- again the 6 year old was all over the place- could barely get her face out of the water at the Stingrays or the coral. Buy inflatable snorkel vests- ( I got two for price of one on ebay)- and practice a lot before you go.

4 year old - refused to leave the boat. :-) I guess that is his vacation- staying on the boat at day camp...

• 2 weeks later...
I just have to add to do this if your conscience will allow you.... I personally don't like to feed fish foods that aren't native to the reef (at least I haven't found any corn or wheat fields in the ocean). Feeding fish modifies their behavior (I've seen people swarmed by fish even when they didn't have food just because the fish were fed so often). Also many fish not only feed on the reef, they keep it healthy by eliminating algea. Getting fish to change their habits could cause adverse effects that could eventually kill off the reef. In addition, providing a rich food source causes larger reproduction of "nusance" fish on the reef sometimes pushing out the balance of the reef. Sounds radical but you only have to dive on a reef where people don't feed the fish and a reef where fish feeding is condoned to see the difference feeding makes, and it's usually not good.

I have to second Scubaran about this...if you are caught in a state park or by the wildlife people you are in really big trouble. The reefs are having a hard enough time surviving with human intrusion. With that we should enjoy it and leave a "ZERO Footprint". We (the intruders) need to be aware of what we do and take responsibility in the actions we teach to others and our children. With all that said, happy cruising!:D

Do you mind me asking which inflatable lens you got for your little one? I just ordered a snorkeling raft for my 3 year old as I really didn't find anyting else.

Archived