Discover Scuba on the Caribbean Princess

White House

We set sail on the Caribbean Princess November 13th and can not wait! We have book the Rhino boats at St. Marteen and tentatively book the Discover Scuba at St. Thomas. Does anyone have experience with the Princess New Waves Discover Scuba? Is it better to utilize the Princess scuba class or look for an independent on the island. This is our very first cruise and we are a little nervous about the excursions.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Jerry

Jerry,

All scuba excursions that I have booked while on a cruise have been contracted out to private shops on the island, I think this would be the case with your stop in St. Thomas. I did the discover scuba excursion in Cozumel while on the Sea Princess back in 1999. If you are currently not certified and wondering what it is like it is a good excursion. They start with a short class, the basics like don't hold your breath, then in shallow water they will have you clear your mask and recover your regulator, once everyone has completed the tests and is feeling comfortable they will being you on a shallow dive, usually no deeper than 25 feet so that a safety stop isn't necessary.

You will probably be able to book independently with a local dive shop for less money. That said, I almost always book through the cruise ship, because they have already checked out the shop to make sure it is reputable and also provide transportation. And if a ship sponsored excursion is delayed the ship will wait, if you book on your own and don't allow enough time to get back to the ship, you could be left behind.

Have a great time on your first cruise! I hope you like it as much as I do. I'm wishing my Caribbean Princess cruise was sooner than March.

Beth

Archived