Tipping in Ireland and Scotland

Hi,

Can anyone give me some information regarding tipping in Ireland and Scotland? Would like to know how much to tip in restaurants, taxi's and for tour guides!!!!

Thank you,

Pam

Hi,

Can anyone give me some information regarding tipping in Ireland and Scotland? Would like to know how much to tip in restaurants, taxi's and for tour guides!!!!

Thank you,

Pam

Restaurants = about 10% but look at the bill service may well be included

taxis = Just round the bill up dont go mad they cost a fortune as it is

Tour guides = not realy sure I dont think many will expect a tip, maybe a couple of £

Tipping is not such a convention in Britain. In some parts of Europe, they get offended if a tip is offered. In the US, tipping is expected, almost compulsory, rather than relying on the provision of exceptional service. I have been chased down the street in Florida because I only left a 10 percent tip for a waiter instead of the expect 20. He wanted me to explain why. In Britain, you may get a sigh or a glance of disdain from a taxi driver but do not get a complex about it. Most waitresses and bar staff and those in service industries will get a salary and vacation benefits way above the equivalent job in the US (thanks to the European Community). Anything extra is nice but, in most cases, not expected.

Tipping is not such a convention in Britain. In some parts of Europe, they get offended if a tip is offered. In the US, tipping is expected, almost compulsory, rather than relying on the provision of exceptional service. I have been chased down the street in Florida because I only left a 10 percent tip for a waiter instead of the expect 20. He wanted me to explain why. In Britain, you may get a sigh or a glance of disdain from a taxi driver but do not get a complex about it. Most waitresses and bar staff and those in service industries will get a salary and vacation benefits way above the equivalent job in the US (thanks to the European Community). Anything extra is nice but, in most cases, not expected.

Now, I disagree with this - I always tip in restaurants in the UK. 10 - 12% unless the service has been really bad. A lot of waiting staff are on munimum wage and use the tips to supplement their take home pay.

Now, I disagree with this - I always tip in restaurants in the UK. 10 - 12% unless the service has been really bad. A lot of waiting staff are on munimum wage and use the tips to supplement their take home pay.

I always try to directly leave a tip for the person(s) who have given the service. Word is that some establishments in the UK actually use the tips towards the minimum wage and therefore it is the establishment that benefits, not the person who served you.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7361248.stm

You are free to disagree, you live in London which is entirely different from Scotland and NI and, of course, is one of the most expensive cities in the world. London taxi drivers are a different breed and the service staff are generally from the cheap end of the market, many not legally in the country. Here in Devon, we are happy to provide friendly service to all regardless of whether a tip is likely. Minimum wage here is about 4 times what waitresses earn in the US. I tip as well, but it is not true to make somone from the US believe that they have to cough up 15-20% for every barman, bus driver and chambermaid they encounter.

I too always tip in Restaurants (10-15%) unless there is already a service charge added on or the service has been diabolical. I tip taxi drivers too (in the region of 10 or 15%) just round up to the nearest 50p or pound.

I'm from edinburgh and i'd say most of my friends and family apart from my brother (who tips more as he lived in the US for 15 years) do the same as I do

I would say that the people in Ireland are very generous with their tipping - in fact I often feel we over-tip!

Just wanted to say that the opinion of barriedavies would not be that of many folk in Ireland, north or south! Of course you get 'skin flints' everywhere.:(

"You are free to disagree, you live in London which is entirely different from Scotland and NI and, of course, is one of the most expensive cities in the world."

I always Tip unless i get bad service !!

jj......

Archived