Regatta questions

Fblack

I am a very experienced cruiser and have been on all the major cruise lines. I was considering the Regatta until I started reading cruise reviews on several boards. I usually don't put much faith in reviews since some people are too demanding and easily upset. I am pretty easygoing. But nearly half of the Regatta reviews have VERY negative things to say... especially about treatment received from the staff. Including high level management. Life's too short to take a cruise and get poor service and also over-charged for extras like drinks, excursions, shuttle service, spa treatments, taxes and port charges. Am I wrong about Oceania?

We were on the Regatta in June on a Baltic cruise. We absolutely loved it. We were in a PH cabin and it was wonderful. To me, the staff was great. Everyone was friendly and eager to help. The food was almost too good and the afternoon tea was spectacular. The alternate restaurants were excellant and unlike many cruise lines, there was no extra charge. Some have complained about Destination Services, but we booked private tours. In every port there was someone local to answer questions and provide maps.

We booked another cruise on board: Venice to Barcelona in May. I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have. Unfortunately, some people are never happy.

Joan

While there have been some negative comments on Oceania on this board, that is true of all cruise lines if you take the time to read the various columns. To start with, no cruise line is perfect, and quality is not always consistent, not to mention that different people have different preferences. Each cruise line has to find the way to attract enough customers to fill their ships at their price levels. Judging from Oceania's substantially increased prices this year, they must have done quite well.

We were on a Baltic cruise on the Regatta in July/August. We, also, are experienced cruisers, and we thought it was fabulous. The food was absolutely wonderful, both in the dining room and the restaurants. Not once did we come into contact with an employee who was rude, or unhelpful. We used private guides, and only in one instance took a ship's tour. We were not satisfied; consequently, we will not take any more ship's tours. But we don't find that a reason to boycott an otherwise delightful cruise experience. Contrary to some posts on this board, I don't feel that we were overcharged for drinks, spa services, laundry, dry cleaning, etc. Oceania is not an all-inclusive cruise line, and they don't hold themselves out to be one. We also booked another cruise while on board, and in our discussions with the future cruise consultant, she mentioned that some passengers complained to her constantly about pretty much everything - however, these same complainers also booked another cruise! I agree with the previous post which suggested that there are some people who cannot be satisfied. I hope that you go ahead and try Oceania. I think you'll like it.

We have sailed with Oceania three times including twice on Regatta. The negative reviews that are posted from the transatlantic cruise of last March DO NOT reflect the opinions of most who have sailed on Regatta. I have never been treated rudely by any member of the staff and only once did I have a very minor problem with someone at the front desk who wouldn't take American express Traveller's checks towards my bill. That was taken care of by the Purser at a later date. The food has been very good and well presented. The wait staff is exceptional. Many are just fun to be around and make the dining a very pleasant experience. The afternoon teas were a favorite of my wife but I wisely chose to work out during that time period. the open seating is a tremendous plus.

We have taken a mixture of ship's tours and private tours.We have been pleased with most ships' tours and quite frankly only once did we have an issue with a poor guide in Berlin. Others on the same tour(different bus) raved about their guide. The private versus ship's tours often comes down to do you want a small group or 40 people on the bus. In most ports we prefer finding a recommendation from someone on this board or the Yahoo board and going with another couple or two. However, if it is a small port where no one appears to have any recommendations we may do a ship's highlights tour.

The ship itself is gorgeous and the cabins we have had on Deck 8 (PH1) have been great. Our first two butlers were outstanding and the butler on the third cruise was good. Waits for tables in the main dining room were non-existent.

The overwhelming majority of people on board have been warm, positive, friendly and lots of fun to be with. We have made lots of friends on board.

One person criticized the ship because of the extremely limited smoking policy. For us that is a huge positive. There has also been complaints about wine and liquor prices. Maybe it is our southern California experience talking but we have not found the prices out of line nor do we find a corkage fee objectionable. The only price that appears out of line is for email and internet access.

We have been so please we have booked two cruises for next summer and next fall in Europe. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

We will be sailing on Regatta next year. I am so excited for this trip. We leave in 30 or so days for a Panama trip, but to sail on the Regatta is so wonderful. I too believe that you can have a good trip or a bad trip. It is what you want to make of it. We work hard, we play hard. And nothing so far, we have ever done on our trips has ever made it bad. Question: What is the dress of the evening on the Regatta? Thank you in advance. Carol

We have been on 12 cruises and our first on Regatta in September in the Med. Sea. I too had read negative comments about the service considering that the tips were prepaid. Nothing could be further from the truth. All the staff were stepping over themselves to accomodate us! This cruise had the best service of any we have been on, and our experience ranges from the small ships of 125 passengers to the mega ones.

One suggestion I do have though, is not to buy any prepackaged land excursions. We had 6 different ports with an excursion in each and saved the cost of one excursion from buying them separately. However, we would rather have been able to choose from the variety of excursions in each port-sort of "mix and match".

Dave

Can anyone give a good comparison between these two lines?

We have been on both. Crystal takes about 1000 passengers Oceania takes about 650..so there is the first difference. Both are gorgeous ships, Crystal again larger. Crystal has very formal nights per cruise and Oceania has none.

Of course that is not to say that people don't dress for dinner on Oceania -just you can leave your ball gowns and tux's at home .

Both have alternative dining /restaurants- Crystal charges for theirs- Oceania does not.

Crystal has assigned dining either early or late seating ( and you are assigned your table- which also means hopefully you will have something in common with your table mates - cuz you are stuck with them for the entire cruise- unless you are eating at the alternative restaurants). Oceania is eat when and with whom you choose.. no pre selected dining companions. ;-)

If you want to sit with a bunch of your new friends or just a dinner for the two of you.. that is what you do. Your choice not the ships.

Crystal has more in the way of entertainment ( Vegas type song and dance shows).

Archived