Venice-St Mark's Basilica-Need for Reservations?

Does one actually need to make a reservation, in order to visit the inside of the Basilica?

The web site to make reservations asks you to specify a date and time. The date is no problem but what if you cannot get to the church at the time you have selected? Can you still enter but just have to wait on line?

Thanks for your help.

We had a reservation and still had to wait in line, so it made very little difference. I think when we got to the front of the main line, they took us before some other people, but it made very little difference, and we would not bother making a reservation if we were doing it over. Being boxed into a time did affect how we spent the earlier part of the day.

We had a reservation and still had to wait in line, so it made very little difference. I think when we got to the front of the main line, they took us before some other people, but it made very little difference, and we would not bother making a reservation if we were doing it over. Being boxed into a time did affect how we spent the earlier part of the day.

It is my belief that you do not need to go near the line. Just enter by the gift shop on the left & show the reservation & they let you through.

I have exactly the same dilemma googalini, I'm still dithering over the time I need to book. However, I am going to book, then if we don't make the time, we'll just have to queue. You don't need a reservation to get in, it just helps to save you time waiting. There is no charge so you have nothing to lose by booking in advance.

we had a reservation for about noon three weeks ago. We showed up an hour early and were able to go to the front of the line. I'm not sure that they even looked at the times; more likely they did but just didn't care. In any event, there is no downside to making a free reservation, and it clearly saved us at least a few minutes of standing in the hot sun

You don't have to have one but it will save you potentially HOURS of waiting time. Poster who said they waited in the normal line did not do the right thing. You enter through the door that seems like exit only by the gift shop (all the way to the left), pass security and you are in . No waiting on line. Go there first or last so you aren't tied to having to get there during your touring.

I never had to get reservations to get into St. Marks. For me I only waited no more than 5 minutes to get in. I have a friend in Venice and we were able to walk right up to the front and walk in.

I guess it's different for everyone.

When are you going? For our cruise in mid September (ended in Venice on Sept. 22/23) no reservation was necessary - lines were fairly short. I know it is much busier in July and even busier than that in August.

Archived