Cunard transfers Hotel to Ship

STEPHEN LARKIN

Hi Guys ,

We have booked a Western transatlantic cruise on the QM2 with a two nights stay in the Marriot Marquis Hotel in Time Square . My question is... Are Cunard prompt at picking you up from the hotel on embarkation day ?

And also , What time do they usually pick you up ?

( On-board we are in a Q5 stateroom " Grills " , if this makes any difference )

Cheers...

The type of cabin you are in does not make any difference to time of pick up, there is usually only one bus.

From experience I would advise you to be vigilant, you will have to "find the rep" (see other postings on this subject at this time, they are not always good at their job) Reps are very often "temps" or "day hire " persons working for "cash". Check carefully that your luggage is collected and PUT on the RIGHT BUS if there are passengers for other lines at your hotel. You should ensure that you get instructions in writing from the hotel re arrangmments for the transport next day.

My hotel was supposed to have a rep there for two hours the night before, to assist passengers, no rep came.

I would also suggest that you have some money handy for the baggage handlers at the pier. On June 8th, the nus pulled up, a baggage handler got on and announced that each person had to "Identify their baggage" Most thought this was a security thing, it was not.

As each passenger picked out their particular case, the "boss handler" announced that it would be necessary to "pay for handling" I gave him $5 for 2 cases. This is strong arm blackmail. the handlers get a wage for their work. I do not object to tipping but to demand "with menace" that passengers give money is very wrong.

Steve,

To be serious ( for once). I would advise you to be right on the ball on embarkation day. We left NYC on 27th May Eastbound. Our stay in NYC had been at the Edison Hotel which is directly across the street from the M. Marquis. This is a very busy street and is also well parked up to boot. So the coaches have to do a bit of ‘shunting’. We were with a large group from a UK travel agency. Our reps were excellent and the transfer information supplied was accurate but even so you needed to keep your wits about you as the street was so busy. Many of our group had stayed at the M Marquis (depended on your cabin grade) and while they too had no problems they had some horror tales to tell of the confusion and upset experienced by other passengers who were joining the vessel in NYC as their first leg. I can’t say if they were Cunard booked or not but it seems to have been a pretty stressful time for some of them. All we needed to do was identify the luggage and that was that. No handling charges at the Brooklyn terminal. A completely hassle free transfer. And I wish you the same, but do make sure you have all the info at least the day before. And keep your eye on the bags, there will be lots of busses in the street. There’s a deli next to the Edison, get a cup of coffee to go and relax. Or even better there's a bar belonging to the Edison which opens onto the street, get a martini or a double Jack and keep tracks through the window.

Gari

Our pick up from the Marriott was scheduled for 12:30 and the Reps were quite easy to find on Floor 3 the afternoon before (they were there until 4pm if I remember correctly). The suitcases had to be ready for pick up from 8am on the day of departure and I just used the time from 8am until check out (noon) to do a bit more sight seeing of NY and get some last minute shopping done).

The bus eventually left at 13:15 from the place where it said in our welcome letter (outside Starbucks), even though the reps seemed a bit overwhelmed due to traffic delays and such.

Overall I couldn't find much fault with the organisation

Archived