Sun - tender question

katondeck

I am close to booking the Exotic Western Caribbean on the Sun in January. I just found out that my MIL is not happy with "small boats" - I am not sure what constitutes smallin her mind. I have been to Grand Cayman on both Princess and Carnival and the boats were pretty big, so I am hoping NCL's are too?

I am more concerned about Belize and Roatan? I know there is a chance we can dock in Roatan, but if anyone could tell me about the tenders at either or both of these ports I would really appreciate it.

It also does not seem like you can do a lot in Belize without taking a water taxi - any information on these would be appreciated too.

Thank you!

I am going October 23 on the Sun and would be happy to report back what I find out. Last year the tenders at Grand Cayman were fairly large and held a great many people. However, the term large, when it comes to boats, is a somewhat relative term.

P.S. if you haven't been to the NCL site and checked out the Sun's deck cam, today would be a perfect time to do so. The pictures coming back are beautiful.

Kat,

Just got back from the Sun West Coast Repo 2 weeks ago. We tendered in Astoria and if I remember the boats seated around 100 people. Probably around 15 rows of seating below and also seating up top. The boats double as life boats also so they are designed to hold lots of people.

Kat,

Just got back from the Sun West Coast Repo 2 weeks ago. We tendered in Astoria and if I remember the boats seated around 100 people. Probably around 15 rows of seating below and also seating up top. The boats double as life boats also so they are designed to hold lots of people.

In Grand Caymen they don't use the "small" ship's tenders but rather those that are provided from the port. They are double deck vessels that hold a couple of hundred passengers.

We did the Sun exotic western Caribbean a year ago April. The tenders in Cayman are the big ones, as shoreguy has already said.

The tenders in Belize were more the water taxi type, provided and operated by Belize(eans). At least, the ones we used were. They were one level with seats around the inside perimenter of the boat, and small rows up front. They go much faster than the very large ones.

Archived