Beach fun for kids in Mexican Riviara

mkdddy

We are taking our 4 and 3 year olds on NCL's Mexican Riviara cruise in Feb. I am wondering if there are any beaches near any of the ports? We stop in Acapulco, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta. I didn't really want to take the kids on any excursions as they would rather play in the surf and sand rather than go on any tours.:)

Puerto Vallarta is easy - the Krystal hotel is a quick walk and they have a playground, a toddler pool attached to the sprawling main pool and a beach with palapas for shade. Our best ports days are always at the Krystal. Do a search on the ports of call board for details and walking directions. In fact, the ports of call board will be a great place to also post this question.

I haven't read about a kid friendly beach in Cabo - but I do think I've seen posts about good hotels for kids.

Best,

Mia

I was also going to say the Krystal in PV--we're going on a Mexican Riviera cruise in October and that's where we're planning to go. We haven't figured out where we're going in Cabo--last time I was there we went to the Melia which I guess is now the ME resort, but it's more of a hipster place, you know, with the swanky music and the bali beds all around the pool. The kids from Laguna Beach went there one time...but it's a nice beach and they are cruiser-friendly, so I don't know, we may end up there after all? In Acapulco we're planning to stroller around the fort and museum but might end up with some beach time.

I'll be sure to post when I get back, hopefully that won't be too late to plan for you!

In Puerto Vallarta we too, went to the Krystal. I beleive we had to buy something (drinks or a voucher for drinks) to use the facilities/pool. It was too hot to use the play area but the toddler pool was big and shallow. They wouldn't let us use their towels so DH found some guy walking around that rented us towels YUCK :mad: . You might want to take the ship's towels with you. We didn't care for the food but we are also very picky.

In Cabo we have gone twice to Mendano Beach (take a water taxi over from the pier) and have had a great time. The water can get a little scary with a strong current and it drops off real quick depth wise. But my son loved playing in the sand there.

Acapulco the water looked too nasty so we skipped the beach. One visit we took a cab to see the cliff divers and a short drive around the city, DS slept most of that trip. Twice we have left DS on the ship. The first time we hit the market for alcohol and then we stopped for drinks and food. Wish I could remember the restaurant because the food was gross. The 2nd time we left DS on the ship we walked across the bridge from the port to the Fuerte de San Diego museum and then went for drinks and food at 100% naturale with some of the crew. My mango margaritas there were way too good.:eek:

Hope this was helpful.

I was also going to say the Krystal in PV--we're going on a Mexican Riviera cruise in October and that's where we're planning to go. We haven't figured out where we're going in Cabo--last time I was there we went to the Melia which I guess is now the ME resort, but it's more of a hipster place, you know, with the swanky music and the bali beds all around the pool. The kids from Laguna Beach went there one time...but it's a nice beach and they are cruiser-friendly, so I don't know, we may end up there after all? In Acapulco we're planning to stroller around the fort and museum but might end up with some beach time.

I'll be sure to post when I get back, hopefully that won't be too late to plan for you!

We have gone on this trip 3 times with the kids (4 and 7) and are going back in October - yes, we really love Mexico!

I agree the ME resort is not the best for kids, we were there in March and it was very hipster like- the beds were also covered in vynal and not comfortable. No worries, if you walk down that beach, you will find an awesome place- you will know you are there when you see beach lounges covered in blue covers. That resort is fabulous. You can spend time in the resort around the pool and there is pool service - they will give you towels.

Also, as far as water taxis go, make sure the one you take does not let you off closest to the pier. We did and it was so scary triing to get off of the taxi and not killing myself on the rocks. And I am in pretty good shape:) I would hesitate to recomment the water taxis with small kids as it is difficult to get on the boat and kinds scary if you do not speak Spanish (we do).

We have gone on this trip 3 times with the kids (4 and 7) and are going back in October - yes, we really love Mexico!

I agree the ME resort is not the best for kids, we were there in March and it was very hipster like- the beds were also covered in vynal and not comfortable. No worries, if you walk down that beach, you will find an awesome place- you will know you are there when you see beach lounges covered in blue covers. That resort is fabulous. You can spend time in the resort around the pool and there is pool service - they will give you towels.

Also, as far as water taxis go, make sure the one you take does not let you off closest to the pier. We did and it was so scary tryig to get off of the taxi and not killing myself on the rocks. And I am in pretty good shape:) I would hesitate to recommend the water taxis with small kids as it is difficult to get on the boat and kinds scary if you do not speak Spanish (we do).

Also, as far as water taxis go, make sure the one you take does not let you off closest to the pier. We did and it was so scary triing to get off of the taxi and not killing myself on the rocks. And I am in pretty good shape:) I would hesitate to recomment the water taxis with small kids as it is difficult to get on the boat and kinds scary if you do not speak Spanish (we do).

Thanks for the tip--do you remember the name of the resort? I'm thinking if we take a regular taxi instead of a water taxi, we'll need to know the name...or I guess we could just get let off at the ME and then stroll up the beach.

You know, I do not remember- but we took a taxi to the ME resort walked throught the property and down the beach- it was not far and I would recommemd taking a taxi back from the resort with kids- The first resort after ME would not allow us to enter their property we had to walk down the beach a little bit. That is how we found the one I recommended.

Oh and I also recommend the Krystal in PV. If you can get your Hubby (or who you may be traveling with ) to give you an hour, you can get a great massage there too for about 40 bucks. It is better than the ship and well worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived