novice snorkelers going to St. Thomas seeks advice

cairascioci

Hi, We're cruising to St. Thomas in a few weeks. I have a few questions and am hoping those with more experience can help out...

My husband and I have snorkeled a few times and are traveling with our kids (11 and 13), adult sister and 73 year old father who have never snorkeled. Any recommendations for a nice beach that we don't have to swim out too far to see some interesting "sights"? I've purchased inexpensive mask/snorkel/fin sets for everyone (not too keen on the rental idea). Can anyone tell me about snorkel vests...are they worth using, jacket type vs. over the head kind that you blow up (not sure of the official name). I thought these may be useful for the kids and dad. Is there anything else that can be used in place of a snorkel vest to assist with floatation? I don't mind making the purchase if it will enhance our experience, make it more fun and less stressful. We aren't really "die hard" beach goers for vacation, we like to travel to all sorts of different places, so keeping the price moderate is important. Whatever gear I purchase will probably only be used a few times.

Thanks in advance for your imput and advice.

Donna

We just returned from our second trip to St. Thomas. Our first time was our very first time snorkeling, and we went to Sapphire Beach. This time we went to Coki Beach, and saw a lot more.

After walking out just below waist level, we first saw many schools of tiny fish, and floating out a few more feet we saw quite a lot of different types of fish and reef.

I am not an experienced swimmer or snorkeler (it takes a lot for me to put my face in the water even WITH a mask on!), but found that I was comfortable to snorkel at Coki with just my mask and snorkel. I didn't wear my fins since I had just broken my toe before the cruise, and didn't feel the need for a vest. The water was very calm there. There are a lot of people feeding the fish doggie treats which is probably why they will come right up to you anyway, but the seagulls were swooping down on them....no thanks!

We also purchased our own inexpensive sets last year, figuring even if we only use it once or twice a year, it will save money (and that icky question about sanitizing snorkels), but haven't used our vests yet. They were around $25 each, while our U.S. Diver snorkel sets were only $29 and have been great.

Coral World is right next door, entrance fee was $19 (less a $4 coupon our cab driver gave us). Our daughter and friend went there while we snorkeled and got to see the fish and quite a bit without getting wet.

Hope this helps

Judi

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. We are probably going to stop at both Coki and Saphire (we'll be in port from 7am to 10pm, so time isn't too much of a problem). I'm still thinking of picking up the inflatable snorkel vests for the kids just for comfort. I also like the idea of going to Coki since it is right next to Coral World.

Thanks again

Donna

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. We are probably going to stop at both Coki and Saphire (we'll be in port from 7am to 10pm, so time isn't too much of a problem). I'm still thinking of picking up the inflatable snorkel vests for the kids just for comfort. I also like the idea of going to Coki since it is right next to Coral World.

Thanks again

Donna

Hi Donna ... I'm cruising with you. We have only snorkeled but a couple of times. Because we have so much time in St. Thomas, we are first heading over to St. Johns Trunk Bay to snorkel as I heard it is amazing there and enjoy the beach. When we're done then heading back to St. Thomas to explore. Not sure if we will go to another beach or just take in everything else, but since time is not a factor, we'll do this on our own. Look forward to meeting you.

Cathy

You will certainly enjoy Coki beach, as it is shallow and nice for relaxing. But, if you want to have a GREAT snorkeling trip, go to St. John's Trunk Bay. The beach is not so crowded, the water is shallow also, and the variety of fish and coral is fantastic! In fact, there is about a quarter mile "course" to follow that has underwater markers explaining the type of fish you see and the coral formations. We are heading back there in January and I can't wait!!

Archived