Getting to a Luau on Kauai

muttsR4me

This will be our first time in Hawaii. We will be on the POA in Aug. We are planning to book a Luau with the Smith Family Garden Luau in Kauai.

It is cheaper to book on line just through them. They are 15 min from port, which is in Nawiliwili, but they don't have transportation. Any ideas on how to get there and back to the ship?

Thanks

• Administrators
This will be our first time in Hawaii. We will be on the POA in Aug. We are planning to book a Luau with the Smith Family Garden Luau in Kauai.

It is cheaper to book on line just through them. They are 15 min from port, which is in Nawiliwili, but they don't have transportation. Any ideas on how to get there and back to the ship?

Thanks

I would think renting a car or hiring a cab would be the choices. If you choose to rent, do it early on day one at Nawiliwili and pick up the parking pass at the nearby shopping center (Anchor Cove, if I recall) for $10 so you'll have a spot near the ship overnight. That way you can use the car on both days in port to sightsee and use it to take you to and from the luau. Kauai is a great place to have your own wheels -- the drive to the North Shore and the one to Waimea Canyon via Poipu and the southern route are both lovely and very driveable on your own. This website -- http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotgdxk.htm -- has great drive guides with detailed descriptions, mileage to the tenth of the mile, etc.

If you weren't going to rent a car anyway at Kauai, then it might make more sense to take the NCL sponsored luau excursion to the Gaylord Plantation. By the time you add rental and parking fees (or cab fees) any savings may have been negated. But as I said above, if you are adventuresome and willing to drive yourself, Kauai is great for that.

Thank you so much for your input! We will save $120.00 total for the 4 of us if we book ourselves rather than going through NCL. I just wasn't sure where we would park the car overnight. Your help is great!

I feel more confident like I know what and where we are going since finding this site. The help from everyone is just tremendous.

• Administrators
Thank you so much for your input! We will save $120.00 total for the 4 of us if we book ourselves rather than going through NCL. I just wasn't sure where we would park the car overnight. Your help is great!

I feel more confident like I know what and where we are going since finding this site. The help from everyone is just tremendous.

No problem. :) Keep reading and asking questions -- it's amazing how much one can learn here. Welcome to the Hawaii board and to CC, by the way!

Archived