Chilkoot rail/bus Excursion

rainyrosie

Any experiences with the Chilkoot Carcross 9 hr rail/bus excursion at Skagway?

What you need to do is go to the ports of Call Board and sccroll to Alaska. There is a wealth of info there and alot of talk about that excursion.

Marilyn

You put the "Thumbs Down" as your icon. did you already have a bad experience with them?

They (Chilkoot) are generally very well thought of.

I think some people see the thumbs down sign as a question mark.

To answer the OP's question, we did the 7 hour van/rail charter with Chilkoot a couple of years ago and it was excellent. We took the train up and the van back which gives two completely different perspectives. Plus you get to stop at Emerald Lake and Caribou Crossing as well as many other scenic stops on the way back. I would recommend them and they get very good reviews on the Alaska Board.

Maybe it's meant as a question mark, but the thumbs down is a bit off-putting. Several CC members on our recent cruise took this excursion and really enjoyed it. "Best of both worlds" - train one way and small bus on the way back, able to "stop on demand". Have a look at the Alaska board, and if your posting is a question - maybe use the question mark as a preface next time!

We did this excursion from the Tahitian at the beginning of June and thought it was a great tour. I highly recommend it. The train ride was very scenic - sit on the left side for the best views. We were able to stop where ever we wanted once we got in the van - actually saw a lynx in one spot and a mother bear with two cubs in another. Emerald Lake is absolutely stunning.

Sorry Rosie, I tempered my response because I thought you were fishing for a bad review.

I used these folks last year, took the Train one way / bus back tour and had a wonderful time.

http://www.alaskatoursales.com/

I feel that in Alaska, more than any other cruise destination, that the independants offer far superior tours for less money than do the cruise lines.

Archived