Anyone know where I can buy an alarm to put on the balcony door?

Cruise Leprechaun

I know its paranoia because I've read in so many places that a cruiseship balcony is safe for kids but I would just sleep better if I had some sort of portable alarm to bring on board and attach to the balcony door to warn me if my kids are going out on the balcony. This might even be in the middle of the night (maybe they are sleepwalkers?? - who knows). I think I've been told that on the NCL Pearl the doors are sliding doors. So does anyone know of a cheap, portable kind of child safety alarm thing that I can bring with me that I can hang on or attach to the door that will go off when the kids open the door? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I know its paranoia because I've read in so many places that a cruiseship balcony is safe for kids but I would just sleep better if I had some sort of portable alarm to bring on board and attach to the balcony door to warn me if my kids are going out on the balcony. This might even be in the middle of the night (maybe they are sleepwalkers?? - who knows). I think I've been told that on the NCL Pearl the doors are sliding doors. So does anyone know of a cheap, portable kind of child safety alarm thing that I can bring with me that I can hang on or attach to the door that will go off when the kids open the door? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Try Amazon.com

I have never cruise on Norwegian BUT the balcony doors on RCCL are FREAKING HEAVY and any child of mine would be grunting and graoning trying to get them oopen (because I grunt and groan when I try!) Not to mention that the way the handle works on RCCL is that it swings up to "lock" closed and the tension lock is under extreme tension. In order to open the balcony door the child would have to reach up, grab the handle and then swing it down. No easy task.

I suggest you ask on the main Norwegian boards what the balcony locks/handles are like for the ship you are sailing on. You might find that they are as difficult as the RCCL doors.

I just sailed on the Pearl and yes the doors are heavy! The handle has to be turned 180 degrees before the door unlocks and can slide open. The handle itself was probably about 6-8 inches in length. If you want to do this cheaply you could just put some jingle bells on the handle?

I've been on NCL with sliding balcony door and it is difficult, but do-able, our son was able to figure it out and reach high enough (6 yrs. old at the time)...but he was also old enough to know and adhere to the rule of only being allowed out there with mom or dad...never alone.

the bells is a great idea..but I would bring some removable adhesive hook (sold by 3M I think, or other brand) and hang the bells up high above the door, but resting against the door. Just in case you have a sneaky child who tries to remove the bells if they are at his/her height.

I don't know if the "heavy duty magnet" suggested above is a good idea. If you pick a magnet "heavy" enough to make noise when hitting the floor, it may be "heavy" enough to fall on the child's head resulting in injury!

The injury would likely be minor, but not worth the risk on a ship hundreds of miles from a neurosurgeon! Just my two cents...

I don't know if the "heavy duty magnet" suggested above is a good idea. If you pick a magnet "heavy" enough to make noise when hitting the floor, it may be "heavy" enough to fall on the child's head resulting in injury!

The injury would likely be minor, but not worth the risk on a ship hundreds of miles from a neurosurgeon! Just my two cents...

No, I didn't mean for the magnet to go right over the opening of the door. That would certainly be a hazard in its own right! :D

I meant for it to go on the hinge side of the door, or, if it's a slider, to the track where if the door slid open, the back of the door would knock it off.

Archived