Fishing - August Non-Charter Excursion?

lttlfzrchck

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are taking our first cruise ever and have chosen Alaska as our destination and we are super excited. (August 2-10 Golden Princess)

We were really looking forward to salmon fishing in Alaska, but have been a little discouraged by the idea of a charter due to the idea of of only being able to reel in the catch and not really being able to cast and fish the way we typically do. Instead we are looking into other options for fishing.

We are pre-reserved for the Chilkoot Lake Fishing Excursion (Skagway), but are certainly not married to the idea since it is catch & release, but like the idea of being able to cast and fish the way we'd like. Could anyone give some suggestions for fishing trips other than Charters. I've read that you can rent poles in Ketchikan and shore fish. Has anyone done this and if so, what are your thoughts? On visit-ketchikan.com they have a Kayak Fishing excursion, has anyone taken this excursion? Any info tips and guidance on salmon fishing and our options would be greatly appreciated!!!

We will be visiting Juneau (12pm-10pm), Skagway (6am - 8pm), Ketchikan (6am - 12pm)

Thanks again!

Hello everyone,

We were really looking forward to salmon fishing in Alaska, but have been a little discouraged by the idea of a charter due to the idea of of only being able to reel in the catch and not really being able to cast and fish the way we typically do. Instead we are looking into other options for fishing.

Thanks again!

I have seen where others have posted that they were only able to "reel it in." I must also say that I have only fished in Valdez and Homer, but I cannot believe that they would be any different than Juneau, Skagway, Seward and Ketchikan.

We have never just "reeled it in." Except for putting the bait on, and I did my share of that, we casts out, set the hook and fought like mad to bring a big halibut up. We have also caught silvers while we were fishing for halibut. The only thing that we didn't do was shoot the halibut because it was too big to get in the boat without that. The captain went and got his gun and shot the fish. So, my recommendation is that you not book through the ship, find the independents and contact them and asked if you can fish the way you want to, or if you will fish the way people have posted.

It has been my experience that many go to Alaska and their friends say, you must fish there. So they book a trip. Then they get out on the boat and don't have a clue what fishing involves. So there you have the mate bait the hook, drop the line, and then look at the person when they see the tip drop and ask them if they want to bring the fish in.

Good luck. Love fishing in Alaska.

Janice

The men in my family have gone fly fishing in Juneau. The trip was booked through the ship. It is with Bear Creek Outfitters and they have done it twice and are doing it again this August. I tried to book independently but they only do it through the ship and book up quickly. They fly you there in very small groups. So far no more than six have been on the plane and three were my family. They go to a remote area of Alaska and you land and get out with waders and all equipment and you stand right in the water and fish. You do the whole entire thing yourself. There were so many salmon, they were everywhere they said. They absolutely loved it and it was the best excursion they ever took and that's why they are going to do it a third time this August. They even saw whales, seals and eagles and the guide carried a gun in case of bears. Hope this helps.

The men in my family have gone fly fishing in Juneau. The trip was booked through the ship. It is with Bear Creek Outfitters and they have done it twice and are doing it again this August. I tried to book independently but they only do it through the ship and book up quickly. They fly you there in very small groups. So far no more than six have been on the plane and three were my family. They go to a remote area of Alaska and you land and get out with waders and all equipment and you stand right in the water and fish. You do the whole entire thing yourself. There were so many salmon, they were everywhere they said. They absolutely loved it and it was the best excursion they ever took and that's why they are going to do it a third time this August. They even saw whales, seals and eagles and the guide carried a gun in case of bears. Hope this helps.

Fly fishing is always do it yourself. But if someone has never fly fished before, this is not for them.

Thank you everyone for your input! We actually decided to go out on a little but of a limb and try our hand at Kayak fishing in Ketchikan. In talking with the owner Howard it sounds like we can be as "do it yourself" as we want to be, and the kayaking while fishing should be an interesting twist. We are excited about trying our hand at fishing from a kayak in the ocean. Thanks again!

We've actually never tried fly fishing, but were thinking aout trying it on our next trip to Mammoth Lakes in the middle of August when we get back from our cruise.

my question is regarding fishing in the kenai/seward area. We want to do some fishing but don't want to go out in a boat, due to kids and also cost. I have read in many of my books that there are lots of places and parks especially in Kenai to fish from shore or docks. It also says fishing permits are required. Does anyone know if it is possible to rent the equipment and fish on our own. And if so where are the best places.

My kids just want to catch some fish and they don't even need to be that big. I guess they don't do tours for this because it is probably easy to do on your own and not as profitable for the tour operators.

Any info is appreciated. thanks.

thanks for the info "mytime53". We will be there beginning of Aug. Right now I have reservations both in Seward and Soldotna, not sure which one to keep. I don' t think we want to go all the way to Homer since we only have 2 nights. I was hoping we could fish somewhere a little closer. thanks.

thanks for the info "mytime53". We will be there beginning of Aug. Right now I have reservations both in Seward and Soldotna, not sure which one to keep. I don' t think we want to go all the way to Homer since we only have 2 nights. I was hoping we could fish somewhere a little closer. thanks.

For the kids, the Homer Fishing Hole is the best bet. Easy gentle slope-free fishing. You MUST have a license for everyone. Directly across the road you can rent poles ($50.00 deposit per pole, $10.00 per day), get your bait, license and lots of advise. You can clean them yourself and then have a grilled fresh salmon dinner at your cabin. If you want to keep your reservation in Soldotna, it is only about an hour and 1/2 drive. Otherwise, lots of places to stay in Homer.

I can guarantee fish in the Homer Fishing Hole. Can't guarantee you will catch them, but I have seen them so thick that everyone was "snagging" the fish, not even fishing. I hate to fish and I have caught silver salmon in the Fishing Hole. Otherwise, you will have to take a chance going someplace and HOPING the fish are there. DH is an AVID Alaska fisherman-makes at least 2, if not three trips per year just to fish. On the first day in Alaska, even he hires a guide to show him where the fish are biting, what they are biting on, etc. etc.

Lots to do in Homer. About a 4 hours drive from Seward. If fishing is really what the kids want, you can't find a better place than the Fishing Hole.

"greatam"/ thanks for the info the homer fishing hole sounds like what we are looking for, just not sure about the additional drive time. Do you know how long the drive is from soldotna? Also, anybody know if it is it easy to find fishing pole rentals around soldotna/ kenai area?

"greatam"/ thanks for the info the homer fishing hole sounds like what we are looking for, just not sure about the additional drive time. Do you know how long the drive is from soldotna? Also, anybody know if it is it easy to find fishing pole rentals around soldotna/ kenai area?

I posted-1.5 hours (75 miles) from Soldotna to Homer.

It is a hassle to find rental poles in Soldotna. And since Kenai is even smaller, I would guess even more difficult. MOST of the fishing trips out of Soldotna are boat type trips or lodge type trips. DH goes to Soldotna yearly for King Salmon. He goes with this guy. http://www.petesfishing.com/

But it is not a cheap trip and probably not for kids. Three or four year ago, we were in Soldotna (we have a condo in Homer). DH had only brought two poles-broke one of them and a friend showed up without a pole. Dennis thought he would just go rent one like in Homer. NOPE. Never did find a place that rented them by the day. There was one guy-but you had to rent his dock space to use his poles. Costly for a couple hours.

As a kid I lived on the Kenai Peninsula, and we fished all the time, everywhere, for all kinds of fish. The opportunities are endless:

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/References/secretspots.html

The trick for you will be finding the place to rent fishing gear near where you want to fish. I know that in Soldotna or Kenai, the library loans equipment to kids, and so does dept. of Fish and Game (I don't remember which town), but I don't think that would be easy to coordinate with you having basically just a day.

Try contacting Seward's Chamber of Commerce or Visitors Center and ask them about renting gear and beach fishing for silvers. If you want to fish for trout, it might be easier to just buy cheap kid's poles (I don't know how old your kids are) at Walmart or Fred Meyer and leave them behind when you leave. Or call the places you have reservations and ask them. If a B&B, they might even have cheap stuff for kids to use. Honestly, if you find the right stream (and the kids are young), a willow stick with fishing line and a single hook will catch trout.

If kids are under 16, they don't need a license. But you might need one if they are young enough that you will have to help them. You'll have to call and check.

http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/purchasing.html

Our oldest grandchildren are 4 and 5 this year. Our granddaughter (the 4-year old) caught a 33-inch pike and 6 king salmon this year. We are looking forward to taking both of them on a 3-day silver fishing trip later this month. We know they'll have a fantastic time. Kids love fishing!

[quote name=mytime53;15318077

If kids are under 16' date=' they don't need a license. But you might need one if they are young enough that you will have to help them. You'll have to call and check.

http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/purchasing.html

[/quote]

While technically correct on the age, the Fish guy at the Fishing Hole (probably because it is owned by the City of Homer and NOT the State of Alaska) INSISTS that EVERYONE get a license OR go to the store and get the exemption card for kids. But any adults accompanying kids and doing more than sitting on the bank MUST have a license. Even cleaning fish needs a license according to the Fish guy. The local unaccompanied kids (of which there are many, many, many) have a Homer City exemption card. So I guess you could get by with just one license, keep Mom on the bank and away from the fish until they are cleaned and just get the exemption card when you rent the poles. Would save quite a bit.

thanks so much for all the very helpful info that i couldn't get easily on my own. i will check out all the options. I was wondering what "mytime53" thinks about the homer fishing hole?

It's been years since I've even been to Homer--too much traffic on that long drive for us. And it's not our kind of fishing, so I'm not the person to ask. But if I had kids who wanted to catch salmon, and was in that area, I'd go there.

But with only 2 nights, I'd look for something closer. If you can find equipment to rent in Seward for 2-3 days, you could fish your way to Soldotna and back.

It's been years since I've even been to Homer--too much traffic on that long drive for us. And it's not our kind of fishing, so I'm not the person to ask. But if I had kids who wanted to catch salmon, and was in that area, I'd go there.

But with only 2 nights, I'd look for something closer. If you can find equipment to rent in Seward for 2-3 days, you could fish your way to Soldotna and back.

Maybe I missed something???? I thought they had reservations in both Soldotna and Seward. Soldotna is just about dead 1/2 way between Seward and Homer. And the drive is EASIER going South to Homer because it is SOOOO crowded around the Russian River fishing areas going to Seward.

Has taken me 3+ hours to get to Seward from Soldotna. It very rarely takes me more than 1.5 hours from Homer to Soldotna. And I probably make the drive from Homer/Soldotna/Anc at least 14 times per year, all drives clustered around Memorial Day + 1st week in June and Labor Day + 1st week in September. HEAVY traffic times.

I still stick by the Homer Fishing Hole. Good clean fun for the kids-guaranteed fish sightings, NO combat fishing, nice facilities (bathrooms, food on the premises and the fish cleaning tables) and a good place just to chill out.

Maybe I missed something???? I thought they had reservations in both Soldotna and Seward. Soldotna is just about dead 1/2 way between Seward and Homer. And the drive is EASIER going South to Homer because it is SOOOO crowded around the Russian River fishing areas going to Seward.

Has taken me 3+ hours to get to Seward from Soldotna. It very rarely takes me more than 1.5 hours from Homer to Soldotna. And I probably make the drive from Homer/Soldotna/Anc at least 14 times per year, all drives clustered around Memorial Day + 1st week in June and Labor Day + 1st week in September. HEAVY traffic times.

I still stick by the Homer Fishing Hole. Good clean fun for the kids-guaranteed fish sightings, NO combat fishing, nice facilities (bathrooms, food on the premises and the fish cleaning tables) and a good place just to chill out.

I'm not arguing with you. Just providing other options if they don't want to go to Homer, and don't care if the fishing isn't for salmon.

Oh, and my comment about too much traffic wasn't specifically about Soldotna to Homer...it was about the entire drive south of Anchorage. We have all the fishing we want right here near home. In fact, today I'm fixing the food for a 10-day float trip for combo fishing and whitewater. We'll be flown in with our gear, and at the end of 10 days, we end up at our cabin where either our son or son-in-law will come pick us up by boat. In 10 days, we won't see 10 people (unless you count some we might see more than once). And that's why my comment about "not our kind of fishing."

Archived