Flying US Air out of San Juan after Destinly cruise!

Queen B1

We're flying US Air out of San Juan on debarkation day from the Destiny, but I'm a bit nervous as I will be flying with my precious 82 year old mother. I hope to find a wheelchair for Mom as it's hard for her to walk long distances or stand in lines for any length of time. If I can't, I want to be "in the know" as much as I can about the SJ airport. We already know to leave our cruise tags on to avoid going through the USDA line thanks to these boards. We've also heard that it is a zoo at the airport on Sundays! Is the airport well marked, so we can proceed to US Air's ticket counter easily? What should we expect as far as lines, etc. for US Air? How quickly do they process their passengers? Any places to eat in the terminal for US Air as we have a 2:30 P.M.flight that won't get us into Charlotte until around 6:00 that night? Do you have any tips? Thanks so much in advance!

One tip is once you get onboard the ship, check to see if US Air is participating in Carnival's luggage program (I know they now participate in RCCL's but am not certain about Carnival). If they do, take advantage of that as it will allow you to skip the check-in process at SJU.

The onboard checkin and baggage service will really help.

The main lobby at SJU is a zoo on cruise days and if it can be skirted do so. The airline desks are in a relatively compact area and the lines for multiple airlines can comingle.

Request a wheelchair for your Mom. It will make it easier.

There are several locations for a meal once you pass through security.

You can do it with ease and comfort so relax and enjoy your cruise.

wrp96 and alcpa1: Thanks so much! Someone here on Cruise Critic said that when she was on the Destiny earlier in the spring, US Air didn't offer the luggage service for them. Other airlines did, however. I wonder if US Air's recent participation with RCCL signals the same for the Destiny. That would take all of the worry out of it for us!

wrp96 and alcpa1: Thanks so much! Someone here on Cruise Critic said that when she was on the Destiny earlier in the spring, US Air didn't offer the luggage service for them. Other airlines did, however. I wonder if US Air's recent participation with RCCL signals the same for the Destiny. That would take all of the worry out of it for us!

That's why I say check. US Air started participating in RCCL's program in the middle of March, they did not do so previously.

Queen B1... my suggestion is one learned the hard way. If you buy the cruise transfer ticket you will be put on a bus. You will wait on that bus until it is full. Your bags will be put in the back of a questionable truck with wooden sides in whatever order they choose. You will be driven to the airport. You will wait outside the airport in the sun with nowhere to sit or even to prop yourself up against until your truck of bags arrive. They are unloaded onto the sidewalk and it is every man for himself to get to your cases.

If you take a cab from the pier, you get in, put your cases in the trunk, and leave. You are driven right to the departure area and walk in with your bags as you see all the other poor sods waiing for thier luggage to arrive on the truck. A real no- brainer. Good luck

I 2nd the idea of the taxi. Also have you considered renting a wheel chair in your home town to take along for the entire trip. I've been through that airport many times with elderly parents and the heat can be brutal.

Outside is awful and inside is stuffy.

We beat the problem somewhat by using a taxi and keeping our luggage under our own control. The check in lines were very long and very, very slow.

muffin and PennyAgain Great advice! Even if I find that US Air does participate in the luggage express service on the Destiny, it's still going to be a taxi for us! Sounds like it will save time! I've also made arrangements through US Air to use a wheelchair for Mom while at the airport! Thank you!

Did anyone on this forum check-in on line for US Air while still on the boat in San Juan? Is there a US Air kiosk or sky-cap at the airport, or do you have to stand in line to get your boarding passes regardless?

How about food options once past security?

Again, thanks to all for any tips about SJU!

Archived