Any experiences with the Chilkoot Carcross 9 hr rail/bus excursion at Skagway?

rainyrosie

Does anyone have any experiences with Chilkoot Carcross 9 hr rail/buss excursion at Skagway? Will be in there in mid July. Also, I talked to Hertz and there is no car rental in Skagway with Hertz . . . any other company?

We went with Chilcoot last year to Carcross and the Yukon. We thoroughly enjoyed it. We traveled first by train. It was very beautiful and historical with lots of information about the gold rush. Then we switched to a small bus. Our driver was great! We had lots of stops along the way. No problems stopping if someone wanted a picture. Carcross has a museum and we ate lunch there. It was great! We also saw Emerald Lake. It was a very enjoyable day and I would highly recommend them.

Does anyone have any experiences with Chilkoot Carcross 9 hr rail/buss excursion at Skagway? Will be in there in mid July. Also, I talked to Hertz and there is no car rental in Skagway with Hertz . . . any other company?

We are doing the long tour with them in August.

Last time we were in Skagway we did the Yukon tour though Princess. We wanted to do the tour that is longer and uses a smaller bus this time.

...there is no car rental in Skagway with Hertz . . . any other company?

Avis is the biggie, Sourdough the independent ( http://www.geocities.com/sourdoughcarrentals/ ).

Although I wasn't with Chilkoot (I was on a special Inaugural run), you can see the train part of the route as it looked last May at http://www.railsnorth.com/carcross-skagway2007.html

Murray

I did it last week. The train ride was great. The bus to Carcross and Em. Lake was a bit long. Would look at doing the train up and bus back and this may give you enough time to do a second excursion and shop.

We did the 7h trip with Chilkoot last Tuesday (BJ was our driver/guide) and it was awesome. Although it was raining for most of the day (the only day during the entire week that rained), the scenery was still spectacular. We were in a smaller bus with only 25 people and made numerous stops along the way for pictures. Personally, I thought the trip was long enough, to leave some time for shopping in Skagway. I would highly recommend them.

We did this in June last year. We had booked to do the even longer trip, with lunch overlooking Lake Bennet, but part of the train track had washed out. So, Chilkoot offered us this alternative tour.

We thoroughly enjoyed the whole day, even though it was raining and misty during the train ride - it gave us some idea of the conditions facing the gold miners who actually had to hike up the trail in all weathers.

Lunch at the Carcross museum was OK - a sort of chicken barbecue - and the journey back down in a small bus was enjoyable. We saw a mother black bear and cub right on the road.

Best of all, without any prompting on our part, Chilkoot quickly refunded to our credit card the cost difference between the trip we booked and the trip we actually took. We thought they handled the unexpected change to our plans very well.

On Wednesdays, this tour is only available bus up and train back. We did this last month and I would have preferred the train up and bus back but it was a wonderful experience nonetheless. I think that taking the train up first would have made the trip seem a little shorter. The scenery is amazing!

Archived